Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

I need an auto detailer recommendation to get an auto ready for sale.
I'm in North Raleigh .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 PM

140 posts, read 621,393 times
What level of detailing are you looking to get done? I ask because I have a "kind of" suggestion for ABC detailing.

Here is my deal
My entire life I have enjoyed detailing my own cars. It's a stress buster and no one will handle my car with the care or supplies I do. (2 times a year I spend a minimum of 7 hours fully detailing my car and I only use the best products)

After my recent move to NC my company paid for ABC detailing services to come wash my car. I was hesitant but couldn't be rude and refuse a gift. I admit that ABC did a good job with the standard wash/clean & dress wheels, windows and interior. ($130)

After last years drought and the restrictions on car washing my baby really needed a detail. I was short on time so I decided to give ABC a shot. I called the owner and grilled him for 30 minutes on the process, equipment and chemicles they used. Being fully vetted I trusted them with my car. Unfortunetly when they were done I found that they had badly "*burnt" my paint in multiple areas. In one spot they burned completely through the paint and down to the metal/primer.

So if you just need a basic detail give ABC a try, anything involving clay bars, buffers and polishing compounds you should stay away from them. (or call me)

* Burnt paint = an unexperienced detailer using a high power polisher/buffer. IF you leave the spinning buffer in one place or apply too much pressure you will effectivly rub all the paint off.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM

76 posts, read 195,289 times
Truly Blessed Detail

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,109,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
ABC did a good job with the standard wash/clean & dress wheels, windows and interior. ($130)
What does all of that mean? In other words, what exactly does one get for $130? I have to say that I have NEVER considered spending that much to have my car washed and vacuumed out. I am assuming that "interior" must mean doing a heck of a lot more than vacuuming and Armoralling the dashboard!

A very curious Jenny_B

Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
What level of detailing are you looking to get done? I ask because I have a "kind of" suggestion for ABC detailing.

Here is my deal
My entire life I have enjoyed detailing my own cars. It's a stress buster and no one will handle my car with the care or supplies I do. (2 times a year I spend a minimum of 7 hours fully detailing my car and I only use the best products)

After my recent move to NC my company paid for ABC detailing services to come wash my car. I was hesitant but couldn't be rude and refuse a gift. I admit that ABC did a good job with the standard wash/clean & dress wheels, windows and interior. ($130)

After last years drought and the restrictions on car washing my baby really needed a detail. I was short on time so I decided to give ABC a shot. I called the owner and grilled him for 30 minutes on the process, equipment and chemicles they used. Being fully vetted I trusted them with my car. Unfortunetly when they were done I found that they had badly "*burnt" my paint in multiple areas. In one spot they burned completely through the paint and down to the metal/primer.

So if you just need a basic detail give ABC a try, anything involving clay bars, buffers and polishing compounds you should stay away from them. (or call me)

* Burnt paint = an unexperienced detailer using a high power polisher/buffer. IF you leave the spinning buffer in one place or apply too much pressure you will effectivly rub all the paint off.

Sounds like a company to stay away from no matter what I want.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I also detail my own car. I try to do it twice a year, but with a house and child, it now ends up being more like once a year. It takes me an entire weekend. . . . off and on. This is my definition of "detailing" so you can see the amount of labor involved.

I start out by washing the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent to remove all the gunk.

Then I use a clay bar to remove all of the particles embedded in the finish.

Then I buff out any fine scratches with an random orbital buffer.

Then I wash it again

Then I start the process of building up the finish again. A coat or two of "wax", gloss enhancers, etc all applied with the random orbital buffer. I also clean the wheels and dress the tires.

Then I start on the interior. I vacuum all the surfaces, wipe down the leather with leather conditioner, wipe the non-leather surfaces with cleaner. I even clean the door jams and use small tools to clean in between the A/C vents.

Finally, my car has a convertible top, so I clean that and then apply a conditioner/protectant.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 AM

That sounds like a lot of work. When I arrived (back) in the U.S. in August, I knew I'd need transportation right away, so I got what I could pay cash for: A fabulous 1999 VW Jetta with only 110,000 miles on it! LOL!

I did a thorough cleaning of the inside similar to what you talked about, but I wonder whether it would be worth it to do all of the exterior things you're talking about. In my previous life I drove a very, very nice car, and I had someone who washed it and maintained it for me. It hurts my pride a bit to be driving this car, but I'd like it to look as nice as possible. It has a couple of very minor dents and the paint is ok but not stellar.

I wonder what it would cost just to have them (them = any detailer) do the exterior things you're talking about.

One more question. What does it mean to "dress" the wheels?

Jenny

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM

A few years ago I was ready to sell the minivan we had been
using for 10 years. We had only keep it washed and vacummed
for all those years. I never let my kids carry drinks except water when they were small but still a van with kids gets plenty dirty.
We spent $150 to get it detailed (Bunkeys-Glenwood Ave)
before selling and it made a huge difference. Shampooing the seats and carpets is my favorite thing.

I have no idea what they did to to exterior but it was much shinier
and had alot of marks removed. Looked great.

Prices have gone up and now that same place charges more so I am
price shopping but they do a great job there.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

It sounds like it would make a big difference in the appearance, but I guess I'll add it to the list of things I'll do once I get a job ;-)

Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
I knew I'd need transportation right away, so I got what I could pay cash for: A fabulous 1999 VW Jetta with only 110,000 miles on it! LOL!

It hurts my pride a bit to be driving this car
You should be PROUD that you paid cash!!!!

There is a bumper sticker I have seen that says something funny about
how your car is paid for so don't laugh...can't remember the exact saying.

We are about to downgrade just to be able to put more into savings.
It is getting to be a fun challenge to cut out extra expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary