Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

WCPSS reassignment, controversy surrounding reassignment, Wake County, year round schools, trailer classrooms, Wakefield parent lawsuits, school’s sense of community eroding

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 AM

42 posts, read 166,749 times

Advertisements

It's all over the news... the WCPSS has approved the reassignment for next year. The News and Observer states that there is a lot of controversy surrounding this years reassignment. Why? Doesn't the county reassign every year? Don't people know this going in? Where are they getting the money from to convert the schools to year round? Is this a relatively small group of people making all this noise? It is my impression that when one moves into Wake County, that reassignment and year round schools are part of the package. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,415,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyscot View Post
It is my impression that when one moves into Wake County, that reassignment and year round schools are part of the package.
Or any rapidly growing area for that matter. Funny how people act all surprised at this kinda stuff. On one hand everyone is perfectly fine to bulldoze a forest for yet another huge subdivision, yet they act all shocked that their kids are in trailer classrooms and being reassigned or going to have to go to year-round school.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,681,609 times
Quote:
It's all over the news... the WCPSS has approved the reassignment for next year. The News and Observer states that there is a lot of controversy surrounding this years reassignment. Why? Doesn't the county reassign every year? Don't people know this going in? Where are they getting the money from to convert the schools to year round? Is this a relatively small group of people making all this noise? It is my impression that when one moves into Wake County, that reassignment and year round schools are part of the package. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks...
I have no idea why people are surprized. I was able to pick up on this three years ago when we moved...so it's not like they are hiding anything from the public.

Look at all the lawsuits of the Wakefield parents that didn't want their kids going to school at ForestPines in Wake Forest (which no one will ever tell me wasn't a economic class issue)...but once the school year started, I've heard nothing but good out of everyone.

I think folks just don't like change....it doesn't matter why or what....they are going to complain.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why people are surprized. I was able to pick up on this three years ago when we moved...so it's not like they are hiding anything from the public.

Look at all the lawsuits of the Wakefield parents that didn't want their kids going to school at ForestPines in Wake Forest (which no one will ever tell me wasn't a economic class issue)...but once the school year started, I've heard nothing but good out of everyone.

I think folks just don't like change....it doesn't matter why or what....they are going to complain.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,768,945 times
Quote:

People moving there know it goes on. But it doesn't mean they like it. Their way of dealing with it is to protest the reassignments when they occur.

I can see both sides of this argument. But for a minute lets look at the parents view of this.

Most of these people packed up their kids and moved away from extended families and their communities. Yes, they choose Wake County schools probably knowing the issues w/ reassignments.

Much childhood research shows that kids need support from many adults, not just parents. They need a community of committed adults to be there for them. (I bet most of us had that growing up.) These parents who don't have extended family near by are trying to build these communities for their kids. The easiest way to do that is through places like schools and churches for those who attend.

A school is a community not just a place of learning. It's a place where your child feels safe and supported by teachers, staff, parents, and their friends. It's a place that parents feel good about sending their kids, knowing that they have adults who are advocates for them and friends who care about them. (At least the good schools are this way. And lets face it, people only complain when they get redistricted out of the good ones.)

These parents are probably just trying to migate the amount of change and rebuilding that their kids have to do and that they have to do. Schools become a place of community for the whole family. In some cases school is more of a community than their own neighborhoods. (Thats another problem all together.)

If someone knocked on my door and said everyone that lives in these homes has to move down the road a few miles and everyone on the other side of the street is staying, my sense of community would be ripped apart. It's kind of similar in my mind.

Now the year round argument, I'm clueless why this is a problem with parents. Maybe in some way it erodes a school's sense of community. But then again I know some kids I'd love to be on a different track than my kids. LOL

Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

Your asssessment is correct.
One mom from Wakefield told me they bought there expecting to go to that school, which as you know is right at the doorstep. Instead they get assigned to a temporary school in the "blighted" part of Wake Forest. Now that 2 schools will be on the other edge of their development they are glad to be going there.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 AM

42 posts, read 166,749 times
Default Blighted?

Where is this section of Wake Forest? And what elementary school does this sector of the population attend? A

After checking the national sex offender registry, I saw that there is quite the contingent of offenders located "somewhere in Wake Forest". Is there a BAD section of town? I know that these are probably two separate questions and probably unrelated, but being that we are seriously considering Wake Forest as our new homestead, these are questions that we definitely need answers to. Thanks...

Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Your asssessment is correct.
One mom from Wakefield told me they bought there expecting to go to that school, which as you know is right at the doorstep. Instead they get assigned to a temporary school in the "blighted" part of Wake Forest. Now that 2 schools will be on the other edge of their development they are glad to be going there.
It's not a blighted area....it's the poorer section of Wake Forest for sure...but it's hardly blighted and they are working to improve it (since that whole debacle really brought it to everyone's attention).

And to be honest, they had to have known that the school wasn't quite finished when they bought and the other schools were over-crowded.

The buildings at Forest Pines are going to be used as a '9th grade center' for Wake Forest-Rolesville High school when the elementary school moves, just as the old Winn-Dixie building is going to be used for Wakefield High.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM

68 posts, read 272,678 times
Default what about holly ridge or holly springs elem

We are still looking for a home in the area and are considering sunset ridge in holly springs. I was told that it would be very surprising if holly ridge and holly springs were involved in the redistricting. How true is this?? If it is than that would be a big reason to buy in that sub-division. Does anyone have any experience with this??

Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,613,149 times
It's gotten a little more extreme every year. It used to be a few thousand, usually less than 5000, that would get reassigned every year...and usually it would be to schools that were close to the ones they were already attending, AND it would be different students reassigned every year so that the same kids wouldn't end up changing schools multiple times. This year it is approaching 11000 students (that's 1 out of every 10 in the district) being reassigned to different schools, many of which are further away from thier homes. The mandatory year round controversy adds on quite a bit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary