Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,065,092 times

Advertisements

WCPSS's reassignment proposal for the '08 - '09 school system is available for review.
2008-09 Draft Reassignment Proposal (http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-proposal/ - broken link)

Here's an article from WRAL
Reassignment Plan Could Affect 6,400 Wake Students :: WRAL.com

Note that this is just a DRAFT. It is available for review and comment until Januray 1st, 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 PM

237 posts, read 757,561 times
Since none of this affects middle and high school can anyone tell me what "Proximity of nodes to assigned schools will be considered, and no student should travel more than the maximum time established by Board Policy 7125" translates to? how long are middle/high school kids allowed to be on a bus?
Thanks for any input.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
I'm very, very happy with the changes at our elementary school based on this proposal!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM

836 posts, read 3,472,178 times
I was surprised to find that we were totally unchanged. Then I remembered, oh yeah, they are REBUILDING THE ENTIRE SCHOOL next year....not a great year to make population changes, I guess....not that there is a closet left in the school to fit kids.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM

906 posts, read 2,383,731 times
VaNC--you must be at Root or Lacy, huh? We have exhausted every extra storage closet at our school too.

My node wasn't moved, but 2 low income nodes are to be moved out of our school. Our school is really overcrowded this year (Wildwood Forest) because of the year round opt outs, but I hate to see anybody have to leave. It just sucks all around and I hate how we are all reduced to our F&R status. Our kids are more than F&R or non-F&R.

I really don't know what they are going to do if Manning's ruling is not overturned. So much of their plan this year counts on being able to assign low income nodes to year round. What are they going to do if the ruling is upheld and those families are still able to opt out? Don't get me wrong, I am happy that low income families finally have a right to decline year round like the rest of us. Just wondering if Growth Management has even thought of a 'Plan B' if they don't win their appeal.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
The mixing of students to artificially alter demographics is plain stupid.

Kids should attend the closest school unless they need a program not supported there.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
Sorry, I disagree with you there! As I have stated in so many school posts, the way Wake does things tend to divide people based on philosophical differences, I do not agree that your closest school is your best option and I do agree with artificicially mixing students based on demographics. Some people don't like it and some do, that's fine.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 AM

16 posts, read 46,653 times
busing is wrong and the one way limit is 75 minutes. nice

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,363,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
Since none of this affects middle and high school can anyone tell me what "Proximity of nodes to assigned schools will be considered, and no student should travel more than the maximum time established by Board Policy 7125" translates to? how long are middle/high school kids allowed to be on a bus?
Thanks for any input.
See WCPSS: Board Policy - Routing Strategy (7125). While most children won't ever approach the maximum commute times allowed (the goal is no more than 45min each way, which is still way too long IMO), they are pretty scary - 1hr 15min each way for base elementary students (1hr 45min for non-base students), 1hr 30min each way for base high school students (2hrs for non-base students). I can't believe that Wake County passed a policy that allows children to ride a bus for up to 4hrs a day!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 AM

237 posts, read 757,561 times
Thanks for the input and clarification. I expected that they made sure the limits were set high enough so parents wouldn't have a chance to object/appeal based on this.
Saturfan, I agree with you. Sorry Lamishira. Anyway you look at it, artificial remains just that. Forcing this kind of diversity does not insure tranquility later on. In fact, it's usually been found to be the opposite. There are plenty of opportunities to blend kids- sports for one, Church etc. Maybe it's as simple as how we bring our children up and their outlook.
Making kids ride a bus for so long is tiring and starts their day of wrong to begin with. Did anyone ever look at how being tired affects test scores? I doubt it.
If schools and parents simply did their jobs wherever they are located, kids would be much better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary