Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM

484 posts, read 1,369,607 times

Advertisements

When I signed up my child for school at a year round school, That school told me that I had a choice to have her go to the traditional school instead if we wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 AM

39 posts, read 104,731 times
I think as a working single mom, you might really like year round schedule better than traditional calendar. Yes, you have a few weeks off during different times of the year instead of one big summer chunk, but there are a lot of great "track out" camps that kids can participate in. The city of Raleigh Parks and rec have great options and a lot of private places (like karate, dance studios, etc) have gotten on board as well. It sounds like your son is middle school age, so like other have said he might only be yearround for a little while b/c high schools are still traditional calendar.

Also, Cary and the western part of Wake County has had alot of redistricting, but the other parts of Wake County have remained *relatively stable* especially with regards to middle and high school.

I wouldn't be concerned at all if I were you.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,175,364 times
I have been looking at Duke on and off for years as far as employment, but since I am unfamiliar with the area I wasn't sure how far Cary is in terms of commuting so thanks for the info, you may be right about looking into the other areas you mentioned. The thing is that when most of your research is done long distance via internet it appears that the best schools are in Cary and it is specifically mentioned consistently on Money/CNN's best places list. I will have to research the schools in some of those other areas.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM

How does the year round calendar work exactly?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
We recentlly moved from Southern California. I don't know what part of Southern California you are considering, but many families are leaving that area due to the high cost of living. Our family is much happier in North Carolina and we would encourage others to move here from Southern California.

I was looking at Temecula/Murrietta. I heard the TVUSD has very good schools. I'm not sure where you were in SoCal, it is actually almost Inland Empire.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM

488 posts, read 1,556,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
How does the year round calendar work exactly?
Below is the link to the multi track calendar. It gives you the schedule for each track 1-4 and traditional calendar.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2008-...year-round.pdf

...and yes there is no mistake on that calendar...only Traditional schools get Memorial Day off.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM

718 posts, read 2,976,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Below is the link to the multi track calendar. It gives you the schedule for each track 1-4 and traditional calendar.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2008-...year-round.pdf

...and yes there is no mistake on that calendar...only Traditional schools get Memorial Day off.

Ummm..we are on track one and had Memorial day off, just like we do every year and we are not tracked out at that time. It was Monday, May 26th and we were off, as was the rest of Highcroft (a year round school).

Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM

488 posts, read 1,556,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Ummm..we are on track one and had Memorial day off, just like we do every year and we are not tracked out at that time. It was Monday, May 26th and we were off, as was the rest of Highcroft (a year round school).
I posted the calendar for 08-09 and no you will not get Memorial Day off in the 08-09 school year....I hope you didn't have plans for a vacation that weekend.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM

186 posts, read 660,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I was looking at Temecula/Murrietta. I heard the TVUSD has very good schools. I'm not sure where you were in SoCal, it is actually almost Inland Empire.
We were near the ocean in Los Angeles in Rancho Palos Verdes, so quite a way from Temecula. I have visited those areas briefly and the downside for many is that they are quite a distance from the major employers and it can be quite hot (although dry) in the summer. If you are a nurse, you should have little problem finding a good job. Also those areas have been particularly hit hard with the housing crisis, so you need to be careful not to end up in a neighborhood that has "turned" in the wrong direction. At the same time there should be many opportunities in your price range. IMO schools are probably better in NJ and NC than in California. Our kids were average/above average students in a top performing California school district (Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified) and we find their current top performing Wake County middle school to be just as challenging or more challenging. Further, as a region overall, the Triangle has a more educated population than Southern California, which impacts the public schools.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM

718 posts, read 2,976,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
I posted the calendar for 08-09 and no you will not get Memorial Day off in the 08-09 school year....I hope you didn't have plans for a vacation that weekend.

Nope...no plans...we prefer not to travel during "peak" aka "crowded" times. I guess thats why we LOVE year round so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary