Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,301 times

Advertisements

I am curious, as we plan to move within a year to Raleigh, if there are a good number of people who homeschool and also if they do, are most of the groups Christian based?

I have found a lot in my area to be Christian based and I am not a Christian. I have a few years before I would even start home schooling but I am curious because it is how we plan to raise our children. Would a non Christian be welcomed to a homeschooling group?

Thanks,

S~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 11:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,542 times
Why would you deprive your child of the social experience of attending school like normal children do?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,041,744 times
HI

I would recommend the trianglemommies.com group. there is a subgroup on there that homeschools, and from what I have read the group doesn't seem christian based. Aside from that, they would have a number of resources for you as well.

I think people homeschool for a number of reasons, and from what I understand in this area, they have social gatherings, etc

Good luck
Leigh

Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,566,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Why would you deprive your child of the social experience of attending school like normal children do?

Why would you call them normal children? The home school ones are not?

Just curious,
Debbie

Old 10-05-2006, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,301 times
Thanks Leigh.

Tarp, first of all "normal" is a relative term. Second of all, you obviously have no idea about home schooling. If you aren't going to answer my question, why post on this thread? I mean, really that was quite rude.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,835,020 times
Google Cary Homeschoolers. I believe they are the only secular HSing group in the area.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:00 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,850,787 times
When I go to the local ice rinks (which is quite often!) I see notices for homeschool skating sessions, nothing on there re: denomination...

Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,690 times
Hi,
I am also seeking info on secular home schooling in the Chapel Hill/Durham area. Possibly moving there in the summer with two kids 2 and 4. Have you found any good info?
Hannah

Old 03-07-2007, 05:35 PM

823 posts, read 3,925,323 times
I believe the children's departements of local libraries are worth a call about home schooling. Our local library has a lot of resources for home schoolers and they might know about local groups, since many home schoolers frequently visit the public library.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM

251 posts, read 1,143,685 times
Dr. Brian Ray, along with others, has conducted numerous studies on homeschoolers as children, through high school, and into their young adult years. The research is showing homeschooled children to outperform both their public and private school peers in academics, social engagement, and community involvement. The research results can be accessed at the following site: www.nheri.org

To answer your question, PinkPhillyMom, Christian homeschool groups throughout North Carolina (and there are many) do welcome families of other faiths. Obviously, with the caveat that Christian beliefs be respected.

There are also some secular fundamentalist homeschool groups in NC, but homeschooling was largely started by Christians in this country and since many Christians have serious concerns about secularized school systems, it is expected that most homeschoolers will be Christian no matter which state you live in.

This may answer some of your questions: www.nche.com

Hope that helps. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary