Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,412,804 times

Advertisements

Let's please remember that the purpose of this thread was not to debate homeschooling...pro or con...but to get info regarding it on a local scale. Let's not get off topic. (I'm fairly certain the folks in city-data forum's "Politics and Controversies" subforum, would be happy to debate this issue along with everything else they debate.)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 AM

48 posts, read 185,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
And not every class has behavioral problems and to suggest otherwise is just untrue.

Then again, if you are a public school teacher that chooses not to control your classroom and then badmouth the system that feeds your family rather then work to improve it, maybe you should find a job with the private schools...or could it be that private schools don't, in general, pay as well as public schools? You'll take the taxpayer money but you won't soil your hands with the actual dirty work. Thankfully most teachers I know care much more then this.

I did not suggest that all classes have behavioral problems, nor am I badmouthing the system. You sound defensive. In terms of control in my classroom, I am actually quite a good teacher who "soils her hands" on a daily basis. In fact, when there are kids that other teachers can't control the principal moves them to my class. Again, you seem very defensive. In terms of taking taxpayer money, you're right, I'm obviously in it for the money, please. I enjoy working with underprivileged children, it's that simple, and I am working to improve the system, much more so than you are aware. Your statements certainly were accusatory toward someone you know absolutely nothing about. I think you'd retract them quickly if you did.

I think public schools can be very successful, and some are. My point about people who have not been in a classroom and therefore do not understand how behavior problems can effect learning, was saying just that, nothing more. There are many people who find it easy to say that a child can thrive in any environment. That may be true, and there are certainly success stories everywhere. However when you have a classroom of children who are consistently off task, and whose parents could not possibly care any less (although they're the ones giving you hell if you discipline their child) it does effect learning for the other children. Is that the teacher's fault? Maybe, but I think the issue is much bigger than that.

Perhaps you should try subbing in classrooms at several different types of schools. I think it would be very enlightening. Or perhaps we just disagree....which is what makes the world a more interesting place.

Speaking of interesting, I found it so interesting that of all the posts that set you off, my two line post stating that a private school was a better choice for us because my daughter has less distractions than she would have at our public school, which is one of the worst in our county btw, really bothered you.

But I digress, the point of my post was to say that I am an example of someone who does teach in the public school but did not think it was the right choice for my child. If I am fortunate enough to be able to move to an area where the school is filled by parents who are supportive of education and of their children, I tend to think my daughter would do just fine in the public school.

(& for the record Desdemona123, I actually declined an offer for a position at my daughter's school which would have paid more than my current salary, so before you come back with any additional implications please try to be a little more certain that you know your accusations are accurate.)

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I've heard this before, but how do you afford a private education for your kids on a teacher's salary? It's not exactly a lucrative field.
I'm sure everyone's situation is very different but for us the short answer would be that it has meant making many sacrifices.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,042,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Skipstone thanks for your kind words. Kudos to you as well for finding a way to homeschool your children. That was a decision that will "pay huge dividends" for years to come.

I would be interested to hear more about how you addressed the typical argument against homeschooling.....students get no socialization!! Thanks again.
I am not a homeschooler, but I have many friends who are, for various reasons. I know this area does have very active homeschooler groups, so that the kids can get together and socialize with other kids their age. Also, because year round school is growing so much, there are many many activities that are track out camps, etc that would work well into a homeschoolers curriculum.

It doesn't seem to be a huge problem with socialization any longer because the homeschooling group is large and the public school schedules are much more flexible.

Leigh

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

842 posts, read 3,231,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhbt View Post
I'm sure everyone's situation is very different but for us the short answer would be that it has meant making many sacrifices.
Well I laud you for making such a sacrifice for your kids. I don't see how you can do it. I'm concerned enough with having to spend money for 4 years of college. I can't imagine tacking on another 12 years worth of costs! If it were me, I'd probably consider home school over private school just because of the costs involved.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I am not a homeschooler, but I have many friends who are, for various reasons. I know this area does have very active homeschooler groups, so that the kids can get together and socialize with other kids their age. Also, because year round school is growing so much, there are many many activities that are track out camps, etc that would work well into a homeschoolers curriculum.

It doesn't seem to be a huge problem with socialization any longer because the homeschooling group is large and the public school schedules are much more flexible.

Leigh
I agree...unless you live in the boonies, I don't think socialization is too much of an issue.

And socialization at school has it's downsides too...
Bullying
Materialism
Popularity contests
Drugs

(not that you can't have these influences outside of school too, but at least as a parent you have more control over it).

I think my only problem with home schooling is that, unless you're a genius, the material becomes difficult for adults. For example, I don't think I remember how to do long division anymore. And alot of the facts I know aren't facts anymore (e.g. there's 8 planets now instead of 9). As an example of what I'm talking about, just watch an episode of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" :-)

Having said all that, since Wake county schools are some of the best in the country, I'm sending my kids there. If I were living somewhere else, I'd probably give home or private schooling a shot.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The "brick wall" that they run into is the reality that they often don't get backing/support from administrators to assist them in behavior management with their classrooms(in the "best" schools students know that if they don't listen to their teachers that they will have to deal with administration who then gives out some consequence that the student ultimately doesn't want to experience again.
Just wanted to piggy back on this. I think you're words are a very accurate description of the situation in many schools. In our area, it is also the lack of parental support that contributes. The children continue to be a discipline problem at school because they know that there will be no consequences at home either. It's really very sad.

There are many, many wonderful public schools out there. However, the issue about the problems facing the nations public schools is not a new one. ABC news has done several in depth pieces on it & they referenced an increase in the trend to home school or opt for private school.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 AM

240 posts, read 443,589 times
Mr. Moderator, I apologize if I was "off topic" in my comments. I was merely trying to engage in the free exchange of ideas. I thought I accomplished that in a courteous and thoughtful manner.

I will investigate the "political" thread you cited. I believe it is obvious that I am very passionate about the subject of educating students, especially when I believe them to represent the future of our society.

I too am very curious to learn more information about the specifics of homeschooling in the Raleigh/Durham area. I will continue to look for postings to that effect.

Once again, I apologize if I violated protocol.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 AM

84 Camero, I just read your above post and was confused at first so I went back and reread the thread. I somehow had missed the post redirecting the discussion so I also apologize for adding my two cents.

PinkPhillyMom, I will be visiting the area again next month and would be happy to see what I can find out about homeschool groups and get back to you. I am interested myself as well.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I will investigate the "political" thread you cited. I believe it is obvious that I am very passionate about the subject of educating students, especially when I believe them to represent the future of our society.
I wouldn't bother. As I mentioned elsewhere, posting to those "political" threads is like talking in a stadium full of screemers.
You've got to remember that those threads are loaded with liberals from California/NY/etc and conservatives from Utah/Kansas/etc. I doubt your point of view is going to get through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary