Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times

Advertisements

I may be homeschooling my son this year and plan on moving to the Triangle in a few weeks, if we like what we see and can get a job.
I was wondering how hard it is to home school in NC. I want to try it because my son does better one on one rather than in a classroom, and for a year, it may be the ticket for him. I have a teaching degree and a Masters, so I know HOW to teach. The issue is what does the law require?

If anyone has any pointers or can let me know 'the laws' or where to look, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
I don't homeschool but here is a good link:
Home School Information

Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM

330 posts, read 984,823 times
There are about 4000 families in Wake County who homeschool. We have quite a few families at our church --- Raleigh Churches - Non-denominational: Connections Church - Raleigh, Cary, Apex -- who homeschool. Its great to have a support network. We homeschool as well.

North Carolina is one of the more progressive states in regards to home education. They realize that the average homeschool student scores well above the state averages and tend to excel in higher education because most parents do not teach "to pass the test".

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM

305 posts, read 761,025 times
I'm afraid I don't know myself, but trianglemommies.com has a homeschooling forum that may be of help to you (plus additional good info on local resources, connections with other moms, kids with special needs forum, etc).

Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
You may find information at the website of Carolina Parent.

Vicki

Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
I've known 3 families who have home-schooled. A neighbor recently started doing this for her 8th grader. She said it is far easier than she expected. She has a chem degree, never taught. The above posted resources are the place to start.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
I decided to home teach one child for one semester when my kids were transitioning between a public and a private school.

As far as the NC law and requirements and paperwork to get permission
I was amazed that there was no red tape at all.
Just withdraw from the school and give your homeschool a name.
There may have been one form for someone ...

There are great resources/book stores to help you select a curriculum.

Either NC or Wake county publishes a very detail pamphlet of what each grade
should know/learn.. That will help you double check that you are covering those
concepts and skills.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
This is the link to the brochure for Wake County K-8 Curriculum,
called Connections. I am not sure where the 9th-12th is posted (or if there is one )

WCPSS: Connections

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM

232 posts, read 553,032 times
Default link to legal information

North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education link here:
Home School Information

Link to the Home School Legal Defense Association page regarding North Carolina laws: HSLDA | Home School Laws This site has a wealth of information.

There are many support groups in the area.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Thanks--you have all been great.

I have a problem, though. I am still in another state and school will start soon. I moved here (temporarily) from my state (where we lived from 2007-this June) to live with relatives 'just for the summer.' Our plans to move to NJ or PA never came to anything so we are looking into NC.

Isn't life DURING THE RECESSION fun?!!! (not)

Right now, what do I do about homeschooling? Do I have to contact the old district or here (we are not 'really' residents and I HATE this district, where my son did terribly before we moved to Vermont). The school in our last state wants to know 'what's up' so I am sort of confused.

School doesn't start in this area till September 7th so I have time but a little advise would be great.

Also, if he has an IEP, what happens if I home school? Does the IEP become null and void?

Thanks...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary