Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 153,028 times

Advertisements

Anybody living in these towns wouls love to here from you. Already relocated to NC, but looking into a new area. I am 50 and have 3 kids
13, 17 and 20. Have looked into Ashbury Green, Collington Farms and Governors Green in Mebane. Any suggested Hillsborough area's to look into. Would like to keep cost at 250K maximum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I have 3 clients in Ashbury right now that are very happy living there. At that price point you may do better in Mebane than the Hillsbourough area. I love the little downtown of Hillsborough though and if you live in Mebane your not far at all.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Hillsborough is a little closer to things, but Mebane is a little less expensive. If you are on the Orange side of Mebane (ie Ashbury), then the schools are pretty much the same at your age range.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:51 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Hillsborough is a little closer to things, but Mebane is a little less expensive. If you are on the Orange side of Mebane (ie Ashbury), then the schools are pretty much the same at your age range.
We have lived in both, as well as in Chapel Hill over the past 27 years. Mebane is a well run town, but has dramatically changed. The old historic area is nice, but doesn't have the same "feel" as does Hillsborough. Mebane is closer to Burlington, but does feel caught in the middle between 2 worlds (being Triangle and Triad) and seems to struggle for its own identity. Like I said, it is well run, and is really developing quickly. Much more so than Orange County, although that may change in the near future. You will get more value for your money in Alamance Co (in terms of housing) than in Orange County, but I would have to disagree about the schools, who said if you are on the Orange Co. side of things "the schools are pretty much the same at your age range." This is not true at all, unfortunately. Gravelly Hills is the new middle school, and has a great principal (I knew him from years ago at another school). Stanford is the one of the oldest schools in the county and has some issues to address but has a strong math program. Orange High School is not the same caliber as Cedar Ridge, but offers good programs so you really need to be aware of what's offered and what your child is interested in and what his/her strengths are. Very different middle and high schools, all depending on where you live in Orange County.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM

Default High Schools in Alamance County

Any opinions on E Alamance High School as this would be a possibilty for 2 of my 3 children. Also what towns are served by Southern High School which receives high ratings according to GreatSchools.Net? Lastly, any information on community colleges in the area? Would love to hear from people who are actually attending these schools or teach in these schools.

Last edited by rgn020157; 06-09-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Add text

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
When we were considering Alamance cty, we preferred to be in the Southern HS district vs. Eastern. We were looking outside city limits, and south of I-85. We were specifically interested in a s/d called Village of the Oaks, but decided it was too far away and we'd rather be closer to town.

As for the community colleges, Orange Cty doesn't have it's own, but seems to share with Durham Tech and I think they have (or are building?) a new DTCC campus in Orange cty. I've taken DTCC classes before at CHHS too. I also have taught at DTCC, and I thought it seemed fine, but I don't have a lot of experience with different community colleges to compare it to. Alamance CC is also very close to Mebane on the other side, just a few exits down.

Durham Tech to expand with new Hillsborough campus - Online Exclusives

Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Mebane

Finally made it up to Mebane,today. Visited most of the subdivisions and saw some nice homes. I just wish some of the lots were larger, not much of a backyard in any of them. The area itself is very nice, with most stores/conveniences close by. Think I may look at some homes that are not brand new, but it apprears that there is not too much inventory outside of the sub divisions. Liked one area in particular, Ashbury, but again small lots but nice homes. Will visit again when my wife comes back from up north.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 62,369 times
Default Alamance County High Schools

I have two high schoolers. Eastern Alamance has a much better reputation than Southern. The two best high schools in the county would be Eastern High School and Western High School. Check out the report card ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgn020157 View Post
Any opinions on E Alamance High School as this would be a possibilty for 2 of my 3 children. Also what towns are served by Southern High School which receives high ratings according to GreatSchools.Net? Lastly, any information on community colleges in the area? Would love to hear from people who are actually attending these schools or teach in these schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary