Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 12,524 times

Advertisements

My wife and I found two nice houses in Efland and Mebane, respectively. Both houses are in orange limit. Can anyone share us with their thoughts? Is efland a town?
We are working at chapel hill. We have no kid.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM

54 posts, read 160,960 times
My wife and I love Ashbury in Mebane. Great area, neighbors are friendly and it is a growing area. Best thing is off of Buckhorn Road my commute to Durham is about 20 minutes in the morning.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Efland is far from everything. So, at least 20 minutes to the nearest restaurant, grocery store, etc. But everyone there that I knew was friendly, family-oriendted, there was a pond that the neighborhood kids played around, etc etc. If you want to be near town stuff, I'd recommend Hillsborough or just living in Chapel Hill. If you want to be out in the country, Efland is better.
I don't know anything about Mebane.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
We looked hard in Efland but there was just not that much available because it's very small. We liked the neighborhood called Ashwick, but felt it was overpriced. It is not a "city" so you pay county taxes only, but have only county services to go with it. As another poster said, it is going to be further from amenities like groceries and restaurants, but I wouldn't say it's any 20 minutes! On either side of Efland, you have Hillsborough and Mebane which both have city taxes/services/amenities. Hillsborough home prices are somewhat higher because it's closer to the rest of the triangle and commuting is easier. We just didn't find the right neighborhood in Hillsborough, but we would have liked to live there. We ended up buying in Mebane (Ashbury) and are happy here. We find that we are closer to amenities like groceries/restaurants/shopping than we were when we lived in Durham even! Because the town is pretty small, everything is pretty close. And we were able to get more house for our money here. We are close to 85/40 here which makes our commute to Durham an easy 20 minutes straight highway driving and there is practically no traffic. We are also close to the new Buckhorn Village mall that is set to be built.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Efland is far from everything. So, at least 20 minutes to the nearest restaurant, grocery store, etc. But everyone there that I knew was friendly, family-oriendted, there was a pond that the neighborhood kids played around, etc etc. If you want to be near town stuff, I'd recommend Hillsborough or just living in Chapel Hill. If you want to be out in the country, Efland is better.
I don't know anything about Mebane.
Actually, Efland is right in the middle of Hillsborough and Mebane and you can easily be in both downtowns in 5-10 minutes. There are plenty of grocery stores and restaurants within a 10 minute drive max. If you're looking further north out in the Cedar Grove area that's more like a 20 minute drive into each town. There really isn't anything in Efland, but it's a great town to be convenient to Durham, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Mebane. And of course the homes are very affordable in the area.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 AM

40 posts, read 86,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlover View Post
My wife and I found two nice houses in Efland and Mebane, respectively. Both houses are in orange limit. Can anyone share us with their thoughts? Is efland a town?
We are working at chapel hill. We have no kid.
Thanks!

Efland is only 15 miles and 21 minutes away from Chapel Hill. That would be a good choice to have access to Chapel Hill, without paying the over inflated prices that area seems to get.

Mebane is more of a stretch. Pittsboro area may be another good one for you to look at.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,524 times
Thanks for every replies.
I heard many nice comments about Ashbury. I actually checked out Ashbury community yesterday. Obviously, it is still under development, with many empty lots.
ADVentive, gwar11d2, can you tell me who is the builder of your houses. I want to find a builder who use crawlspace as foundation.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
There are 3 builders here in Ashbury. Cimmaron uses a slab, and Olde South and Stonewall both use a crawl. I am in Olde South.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Welcome back how was your vacation?

Back to the original poster. I have never had anyone ask me to go out to Efland so have never but I am in Hillsborough and Mebane a lot. Hillsborough will be just a tad bit closer for you, but I feel you'll get more home for your money in the Mebane area, and it is only 5-10 more minutes away. Was in Hillsborough yesterday in Churton Grove. I love this community and it is close to the downtown area of Hillsborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
My wife and I love Ashbury in Mebane. Great area, neighbors are friendly and it is a growing area. Best thing is off of Buckhorn Road my commute to Durham is about 20 minutes in the morning.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 38,055 times
I am under contract on a house in Mebane. The same house would go for twice the price in Chapel Hill. Burlington is close (restaurants and a brand new mall) and they claim they are building a mall similar to Southpoint off Buckhorn Rd. in Mebane. In my opinion, Mebane and Efland are great places to live. Why pay twice the price just to be 15 miles closer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary