Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM

403 posts, read 931,241 times

Advertisements

I agree with this part of what the OP stated...the driving here doesn't really fit the vibe of the area in general. It's kind of weird to come back from Boston and feel that drivers up there are more sane. I seriously felt that way! There are a bunch of trees here in NC and it's really pretty...not super urban or anything so it kind of catches you off guard. I'm always like "it's Raleigh...where could you possibly be going that's so important"...and I drive 10-15 over the limit typically. I, too, try to give plenty of distance btwn cars, use signal, etc. I just refuse to drive like I'm trying to prove something here...just seems out of character for what I was looking for in coming here. DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago? OK, if we're talking metropolises aggressive driving doesn't bother me and I'm happy to adapt.

There's no way to tell where people are from in a melting pot like the Triangle....that said there is a typical "type" I've noticed with the worst driving habits here. Sounds terrible but middle aged paunchy men are the worst around here with tailgating, erratic lane changes, etc. Almost some kind of mid-life crisis maverick mentality going on there. Troubles at home?? BTW, this is a huge demographic here...men around 35-45 (many from the northeast)...ever see a woman walk in to a restaurant in RTP? The glazed over looks on the men would indicate they've never seen a woman before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,779,325 times
I think bad driving is contagious. I'll be the first to admit that after driving for a number of years here I've occasionally slipped into the habit of not using turn signals. When no one else is using it, I kind of forget to as well. I think that's the main thing that differentiates a reckless driver vs. an aggressive driver. Not to say either is good, but when I used to commute in DC area during rush hour, people are aggressive, but at least they give you a half second warning with the turn signal before cutting in front of you even though there's like 3 feet of space between you and the car in front of you. Somehow, that makes it alright with me.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM

257 posts, read 714,103 times
I don't think traffic in general is that bad around here. There are definitely some tailgating speed-demons, but they're more the exception than the rule from what I've observed. I think the ratio of people that signal vs not signalling is about 50-50. Personally, I signal anytime a car is within roughly six car lengths or appears to be going at a much different speed than I am... so most of the time. I probably should signal all the time regardless, but eh.

The people that make me mad are the ones that have their turn-signal on and never move over, especially when you try to be nice and let them over. Seriously, do they not realize their blinker's been on for over two miles, and if so how?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,784,018 times
Smile Just my observations since being here not knowing where people originally come from...

Having lived here for nearly two years now, I can care less about where anyone comes from when they are driving the roads. If you're driving here, have NC plates, then you are local driver. That's my thoughts.

So, what I have observed the most while driving here (from my perspective only... so hush):
  1. Blinkers. The lack of using them. This is what I see, or not see, the most. To me, using a blinker is one of most important aspects of non-verbal communication one driver can use to alert another driver of what they will be doing. They MUST be used all the time, every time a person makes a lane change. It's respectful. It's safe. And it becomes a habit when used regularly.
  2. Tailgaters. There are a lot of tailgaters I have witnessed here. I've already posted what I do with tailgaters who tailgate me on previous threads. Works every time. However, the one thing I notice here about tailgaters that differ from those tailgaters in Los Angeles (9 times out of 10) is that tailgater here doesn't appear to be angry doing it. In Los Angeles, it usually takes on a threatening meaning and a piece of automobile communication that is quite aggressive. Most of the time there, the driver looks mad and angry. Here, I've been in the car when our real estate agent was tailgating while talking about her favorite food. It was just something she did. Doesn't make it right, but that's, I guess, the bad habit she has learned.
  3. This one may be a contradiction, but I have encountered more slow drivers here than where I lived before. When I say slow, I mean people driving 5 mph or more under the speed limit and/or the flow of traffic. This may not be a nuisance to some, or all, but I find a slow driver, or a few at the same time in the same location, a danger to the road and the flow of traffic.
  4. Weather related driving. I've experienced more weather types here than in Los Angeles. So, I figure, that people who have come to terms with the local weather know how to drive it. With the great assumption that a good deal of people here in NC are either native or have come from some place along the eastern coast, weather is an element most everyone I would guess is experienced with. However, when a weather element rolls around, especially at night, I'm amazed on how varied the driving and all over the place some drivers become during such weather events. Personally, I don't think the freeways and highways have enough reflective markings and lighting to distinguish one lane from the next, but I do get especially defensive when it weather comes down more so here than in a comparable storm in Los Angeles.
  5. And, lastly, this one (a subjective observation that will quite possibly upset many individuals, but remember, this is my observation)... of all the people who have cut me off, sped by me, tailgated and aggressively approached my vehicle in an unsafe or aggressive manner, I have observed more women doing this than men. This may not be globally true in the triangle, this is what I have observed about 70% to thirty. Don't know why.
Of course, these are my observations while driving several hours a day every day (and mine only ).

On the other hand, and to ease the mind of the original poster, my driving experiences here have been far better and less stressful than driving in Los Angeles. Sure, like anywhere, there are bad habits visible in the triangle. However, I think driving is now become more of an extreme survival sport in Los Angeles where drivers appear to 'own the road' and another driver is purely an obstacle.

I think my driving is respectful, safe and superb (that's my thoughts but I was trained both on the track, on the street, off road, and on all forms of vehicles including rescue), though there may be others who think otherwise, I am confident of my driving ability. With that arrogant, if not confident, statement out of the way, my driving habits have certainly become different in RDU than they were on the west. More pleasant. More patient. More respectful.

Traffic, compared to Los Angeles, is not bad at all. It's more congested for a short period of time in one direction in the morning, and the opposite of that in the evening (much like it was in the early seventies driving with my Mom in Los Angeles). All relative of course, but for me based on where I came, it's not been a hassle at all (though it does exist, I'm not oblivious to that).

However, the most wonderful things I think I've learned when driving here is, indeed, controlling my patience, developing respect, and giving thanks. Because it wasn't when I used my blinker for the first time that I knew there was something different here. That there are people who aren't in such a rush, regardless if they drive slow or fast, that they cannot offer some space ahead of them in the same lane. I sometimes joke that this only happens since so many people don't use their blinker here that when they see a blinker, it's like a deer in the headlight effect... they naturally slow down for the pretty blinky light.

The truth is that I think people here are truly respectful of other drivers (for the most part if not oblivious, of course). In the past, I never really allowed many people to get in 'my' lane in Los Angeles for fear of getting to my destination in last place. But now, I always (well 95% of time) oblige a neighboring signal. And, of course, I always (100% of the time) wave when somebody does oblige me... just another way of communicating with the another driver in a positive fashion.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,258,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Everyone from everywhere complains about how everyone else drives whenever they find a new place. They ALWAYS say "I'm from XYZ and I thought people there were bad, but here in ABC they are SO MUCH WORSE"

I can tell you that I have lived in LA, San Diego, DC, New England, and spent significant amounts of time in many other cities, and people DRIVE POORLY EVERYWHERE!!!!!
That pretty much sums it up. Considering the population change in the last thirty years, it's nearly impossible to be able to tell who is from here. I'm a native and am surprised when I meet another native.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,764,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
[*]This one may be a contradiction, but I have encountered more slow drivers here than where I lived before. When I say slow, I mean people driving 5 mph or more under the speed limit and/or the flow of traffic. This may not be a nuisance to some, or all, but I find a slow driver, or a few at the same time in the same location, a danger to the road and the flow of traffic.
I totally agree that too slow drivers in the wrong lane can mean trouble for everyone. But when I am uncertain of an exit that I need, I will drive in the slow lane (far right) and drive either the speed limit or about 5 miles under the speed limit. I've gotten all sorts of jestures for this. I mean who goes 65 in a 70?

CaliBoy, I realize you did not give specifics so this isn't directed at you. It's just one of pet peeves here. BTW, in Oregon everyone thought the California Drivers were the crazy ones. Here I'm excited when I see California Plates because you guys are the "safe ones"!!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM

171 posts, read 452,320 times
I don't find the drivers in North Carolina to be worse than anywhere else. Some driving habits may be different, but overall no worse than I have experienced anywhere else.

To those who blame the poor driving on transplants - I have noticed here in Connecticut that over the past few decades driving habits and plain common courtesy have declined significantly. Should I blame that on the transplants that come to Connecticut? I don't think in Connecticut, North Carolina or anywhere else that is has much at all to do with transplants.

I think it has to do more with the general trends in American society as a whole. We are so busy trying to keep up with the Jones's, cramming ever more activities than before in the same amount of time and stressing ourselves out about so many more things than we ever have before that we are simply forgetting about common decency, courtesy and respect for each other.

If no one moved into or out of North Carolina (or Connecticut or <pick your state>) I am sure the residents of each state would still be complaining about the declining quality of our driving habits and respect for each other, but blaming the next generation instead of the transplants. Consumerism and the Information Age has so many benefits, but they do not come without costs.

Last edited by NedB; 05-21-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: poor grammar

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,831,834 times
I'm sorry but driving in DC is much worse than driving here.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 43,600 times
I've lived in Raleigh on and off for the last 15 years. I've also lived in Chicago, DC and Denver during that time. I will admit that both Chicago and Denver have much better drivers than here. DC is a whole other story.

The three biggest problems I see with drivers around here are: A) Timidness, B) Overly Nice drivers. C) Unnecessary road rage. The first two may seem nice without considering the facts...

A) Timid drivers are by far the most dangerous. You pull up to an intersection and a timid driver doesn't seem to know if/when s/he should go. Just when you think they're going to sit there all day and you start to move, they decide to go too...blam! That is far and away the most common stupid move I see down here.

B) The overly nice driver causes alot of our rush hour traffic issues and is to me the most frustrating. You're driving on a major interstate or HWY and signs a mile in advance announce that a lane is closing ahead...Normal drivers start to get over into the other lanes. Jackarses run as far as they can in the closing lane knowing that some kind soul down here will let them in at the last possible second...which sounds nice, unless you are one of the hundreds of drivers who did the right thing and now have to wait as 100 cars in front of you stop/start to get the rhythm going again. The best place I've seen for this is Chicago, people merge one for one and everyone respects the pattern. The sad thing is, down here I've become the jackarse too, cause I don't want to wait the extra time knowing that I can get in at the end of the lane because our drivers are too nice.

C) I can't really explain this one, but I've never seen as much road rage as I've seen here. People honk and give finger, tailgate, intentionally cutoff at the drop of a hat. Again, I have to give props to CHI drivers...you rarely hear honking there...if you cut somebody off (intentionally or not), you simply give them the wave and its cool...and it works really well. I used to spend 90 minutes a day driving 19 miles each way on a reverse commute. I should've been angry, but it really wasn't that bad, good drivers can make it so much better.

I work as a sales engineer (covering 7 SE states), so I drive a great deal in the South. With all of the aforementioned, I can honestly say that NC drivers are still far better than most other Southern States. Go easy on our NC drivers, the State is expanding so rapidly, people aren't accustomed to stop/go traffic. Drivers are still much worse in SC and VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I'm sorry but driving in DC is much worse than driving here.
Amen.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog007 View Post
I can't really explain this one, but I've never seen as much road rage as I've seen here. People honk and give finger, tailgate, intentionally cutoff at the drop of a hat.
Sorry 'bout that dude, that was me. Still haven't purged my west coast rage just yet.

But in all seriousness, I have only encountered a rare few who have displayed such outward aggression behind the wheel here. Maybe I've been fortunate, but the lack thereof is what impresses me about driving here. Now, take a drive in Los Angeles during rush hour... road rage is all the rage there and, unfortunately, the norm. Hopefully, it doesn't become epidemic here. There really isn't any need for it. Plus, the stress it creates for oneself is so damaging. I can attest to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary