Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM

128 posts, read 452,936 times

Advertisements

I've lived in several places up and down the Mid-Atlantic/ Eastern Seaboard region and I'm going to agree with the OP. This area is terrifying comparatively. I told someone shortly after we arrived here that it appeared many folks thought they were auditioning for NASCAR.

The tailgating is the worst, though. If I'm going to the speed limit on a two-lane road, someone running up behind me is going to make me go slower, not speed up. Just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

40 posts, read 118,824 times
Default Try an experiment

Ok, so somehow I have offended people with my observations (sorry for that, not my intent). My original point was that this area seemed, in my experience, worse than other places I have lived, as it pertains to reckless driving. My secondary point, was that this cannot all be blamed on outsiders, as convenient as that seems in these forums.

We tend to rush through life right? As a result we tend to see, but not observe...we see but we do not really process and quantify what we see. I think it would be a neat experiement for all of us, even those that do not agree with me, to exercise their powers of observation. Here is how. When you see a driver who is driving recklessly, try to observe all you can. Heck, keep a list of things you notice and see if there are patterns. Obviously this will not be exact science, but people often study patterns and trends.

Or not...just could be a fun experiment and a test of your ability to observe.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Your first point is fine. That is your subjective experience. The second is where you commit a logical fallacy. It isn't a subjective matter. People are either from here or they aren't. Without asking them (assuming the tell you the truth) or some other means specific to the individual, you really cannot know. Instead, you make assumptions based on your feelings. As much as you want to say you base them on observations, you simply have no way to tie those observations back to reality.

While it is reasonable to think that some of the offenders are natives, it isn't possible to quantify the extent.

Last edited by Dire Wolf; 05-21-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
I am not offended in the least bit, but I strongly suggest you go to other cities on CDF and search for "bad drivers" or something along those lines and tell me if in every decent sized city you don't find the same complaints. You're from SD and having lived there, I can promise you that just as many people would complain in the other direction.

For my dollar, yes there is bad driving here, but nothing any worse than what I've experienced elsewhere.

Tailgating, I can assure you (and everyone else) exists just as much outside the triangle as it does within it.

I'd in return as you to go elsewhere and test your ability to observe, and tell me if maybe you are not more sensitive to it as a transplant to the area, but you've become desensitized to the realities of the places you've been.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Or not...just could be a fun experiment and a test of your ability to observe.
And now you're being patronizing--as if we here in NC lack the capacity to observe, just because we don't see things the same we you do?

I am an extremely observant, analytical person, and I will try your "experiment", but I am certain it will not tell me who is "from here" and who is not--it may give me data on some factors such as economic status, type of car, etc, but one cannot use that data to deduce someone's state of origin--to imply that you can is to reinforce the sterotype that everyone from NC is a backwoods redneck (I'm presuming that's your thesis, since you haven't shared with us how you can tell a physician or attorney who was born and bred in Raleigh from one who moved here 5 years ago from Minnesota without, at the very least, hearing them speak). I've lived here my whole life, spent many years working with the public, and I think I can "read" the population better than you, who've apparently breezed through once or twice.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM

40 posts, read 118,824 times
Default Geez

First, never did I assume people from raleigh were "backwoods rednecks" and other things some of you are accusing me of assuming. I did not mean to touch a nerve. I also was not being patronizing. My posts make no mention of economic status, no mention of accusing people here of only driving pickups. Why assume I think things that I have not articulated? Some of you are blaming me for assuming things, yet you are assuming things

This thread is getting down-right mean and apparently personal due to the horrible PM's I have gotten.

I will sign off this thread because it got way off my intended topic. Sorry to everybody that was offended (tone is sincere).

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleejh View Post
First, never did I assume people from raleigh were "backwoods rednecks" and other things some of you are accusing me of assuming. I did not mean to touch a nerve. I also was not being patronizing. My posts make no mention of economic status, no mention of accusing people here of only driving pickups. Why assume I think things that I have not articulated? Some of you are blaming me for assuming things, yet you are assuming things

This thread is getting down-right mean and apparently personal due to the horrible PM's I have gotten.

I will sign off this thread because it got way off my intended topic. Sorry to everybody that was offended (tone is sincere).
Honestly, what kind of response did you expect? What if someone had posted a thread that was titled "Thoughts on how transplants from San Diego behave" with negative content within? I'm actually surprised the public responses here are as cordial as they are.

Spend some time in your new home and I am sure you will find that you are not merging into the Daytona 500 as it seems you fear.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Maybe we need to take a look at other factors besides where the person behind the wheel is from. For example, I am from Miami, #1 city two years in a row for rude/aggressive drivers and I agree wholeheartedly with that dubious distinction. However, I am maybe one of five people in Miami who consistently use turn signals, not try to set speed records, don't force people off the road when merging, etc. I didn't bring bad Miami habits with me to Raleigh because I paid attention when my parents and Coach D'Angelo in Driver's Ed taught me to drive. So if you see me driving in a way that appears aggressive, chances are I am trying to avoid a collision with someone who is driving obliviously.

Many roads in Raleigh are extremely curvy and hilly, nothing is on a grid and all streets have names with no logical sequence in most cases, and change at random points. Perhaps some people are not familiar with the laws of physics and how they apply to driving - that would explain a lot of tailgating for example. Add in newcomers who aren't familiar with the area, people like me who had never driven on curvy hilly roads before and the ones that exist everywhere who we all have to wonder how they came to pass the driver's test to begin with. Shake it all up and you have some funky drivers. Add rain or ice and you've got a lot of accidents.

But seriously, if you think drivers here are aggressive, please do not go anywhere near South Florida. People down there have absolutely no regard for others around them. People here at least let you merge, wave you in if traffic starts to back up at an intersection, etc. To me, driving here is easy and relaxing. I try to set an example in the way that I drive, by keeping up with traffic but not trying to set the speeding record, not impeding traffic, not pulling out in front of people who would have to hit the brakes because of me (this seems to happen a lot, the hill thing again), I leave a safe distance between me and the car in front, and ALWAYS use turn signals.

There are definitely issues with drivers as there are everywhere. But this area is definitely tame compared to many other places.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Consider also that there is far less traffic here than in places like NYC and LA - it's physically impossible to "speed up behind someone" or tailgate in LA because everyone is going 2mph.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Here is my observation and being I drive at or near the speed limit or at least on the low side of the traffic speed to not cause a slow up, all of the above driving habits stated are true. But in our 'its not my fault society' why does it matter where the drivers are from? As they say in Rome...when in Rome act like a Roman' and we all know where that got them....But we are all in a hurry to go to Starbucks and get that Mocca Smocca something, we are late for appointments even thou our Dr's are never on time for ours, we are trucking from work to our kids games, practices, recitals, haircuts, vet, per groomers, bill paying, and what ever else we are late for. Then those pesky ear appendages they named 'Cell Phones'. Oh the world of genetics and the pool we all swim in. I am 4-ever in awe of the lane changer that never looks because they are on the cell phone driving at 65+mph and shaves my front end on 540 heading to there destination to ensure they get there before their cell phone battery goes dead. I am convinced people could not drive today if they did not have a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other......what multi-taskers! Their feet not only operate the pedals they also steer with their legs too! ...and that is no small 'feet'!

Now do I see it getting any better? Let me take a moment to ponder. NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary