Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 PM

21 posts, read 115,440 times

Advertisements

Due to the increase in NYC rents, I've been contemplating a move to the triangle area (Raleigh, NC is where I'm looking but Durham and Chapel Hill also seem nice) with my child who is a young adult. I have family there who seem to enjoy it there, however being a NY resident all my life, its a big decision if i ultimately move and one part of me thinks its worth it because its affordable, diverse and it seems like a great place from what I've been told but the other part of me is used to being in NY, However I'm not entirely happy here because it's getting very expensive and I also feel like I need a change.

I would like to know:

1) Do employers provide health insurance to it's employees?
2) How much do I need to make to survive in NC? I work in a health related field, how is the job market?
3) I take public transportation in NY, Is a car always necessary in NC? (Although eventually I will get one)
4) Are the colleges nice out there?
5) For the most part, is the triangle area safe?

I think those are my main questions for now. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,615,721 times
We've got a sticky thread for people to read first:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Old 01-09-2014, 06:24 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
Due to the increase in NYC rents, I've been contemplating a move to the triangle area (Raleigh, NC is where I'm looking but Durham and Chapel Hill also seem nice) with my child who is a young adult. I have family there who seem to enjoy it there, however being a NY resident all my life, its a big decision if i ultimately move and one part of me thinks its worth it because its affordable, diverse and it seems like a great place from what I've been told but the other part of me is used to being in NY, However I'm not entirely happy here because it's getting very expensive and I also feel like I need a change.

I would like to know:

2) How much do I need to make to survive in NC? I work in a health related field, how is the job market?
3) I take public transportation in NY, Is a car always necessary in NC? (Although eventually I will get one)

1. Some do some don't. I don't think this would be too dissimilar from NYC employers.
2. The cost of living is less here than in NYC, but the pay is generally lower, too. How much you need would depend on your lifestyle and your debt obligations. There are plenty of hospitals here and healthcare-related jobs, but there are lots of people looking for jobs, too, so there may be a lot of competition, but I'm not sure.
3. A car is pretty necessary in the Triangle unless you try very hard to live on a certain bus line or very close to where you work and other amenities. It can be done, but it wouldn't be easy or typical.
4. The colleges have nice campuses overall - like most colleges everywhere.
5. Overall, the Triangle is safe, although certain areas have more crime than other areas.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
I would like to know:

It depends on the employer. Larger employers provide health insurance. How much they pay/you pay depends on the company.
Everyone has a different definition of survive, but if your profession pays enough to live on in NYC, it should pay enough to live on here, although you will likely be making less, there is a good chance it will go further
I can't really imagine living without a car in the triangle. To do so successfully you would probably have to limit yourself to downtown, and even still you would find it a struggle compared with the options in NYC.
Yes.
Yes.

I don't really understand where your going on the health insurance thing...As I've said, most larger employers have to offer healthcare of some kind to stay competitive for candidates, even in a tough job market.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 AM

360 posts, read 722,067 times
Quote:

I would like to know:

1. Depends where you work, what you do, full-time/part-time, much like any place else in the country.
2. That question is relative to your life style and expenses. You definitely don't need to be a millionaire to live here, but it would be difficult to get by on minimum wage. The triangle has 3 large hospital systems.. Duke Health, UNC/Rex and Wakemed.
3. NC, and the south in general, are VERY car centric. We have a bus system, but it will be nothing close in quality to what you would get in NY.
4. They are. This area is the mecca of NCAA basketball and each of the major colleges has well-known programs in their respective fields....UNC - Pharmacy, Duke - Medicine, NC State - Engineering, Veterinary and Agriculture.
5. Yes

Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone! This may be difficult to answer if you've never lived in NYC, but in your personal opinion do you think it would be hard to adapt to living in NC or is it fairly easy?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,944,191 times
^^^ Everyone else in NY is, you'll adapt just fine too.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Everyone else in NY is, you'll adapt just fine too.
Thanks! If I had a car and job lined up I would probably leave in the next month if I could.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! This may be difficult to answer if you've never lived in NYC, but in your personal opinion do you think it would be hard to adapt to living in NC or is it fairly easy?
That really depends on you more than anything else. I grew up on Long Island - not the same but close. It's all about YOUR attitude, not anything else. If you truly want to get away from NYC and the way it is run, then you'll be fine. If you want NYC in the south, not gonna happen.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That really depends on you more than anything else. I grew up on Long Island - not the same but close. It's all about YOUR attitude, not anything else. If you truly want to get away from NYC and the way it is run, then you'll be fine. If you want NYC in the south, not gonna happen.
Agree.

There are tons of people here from NY and NJ. Many of them seem to be in the construction business. You'll be in good company.

However, I must warn you that NY transplants seem to spend a great deal of energy yearning for pizzas, delis and Wegmans. I can sympathize. Was at the Wegmans in Fredericksburg, VA last week and I'm wishing I was there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary