Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM

51,692 posts, read 25,969,636 times

Advertisements

If enough folks from NY move here, will Wegmans come too?

Dare to dream, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,967,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That really depends on you more than anything else. I grew up on Long Island - not the same but close. It's all about YOUR attitude, not anything else. If you truly want to get away from NYC and the way it is run, then you'll be fine. If you want NYC in the south, not gonna happen.
Anytime a bunch of people (from wherever) move in droves to a new place (wherever that may be) it then slowly becomes the place they left. This goes for everyone, not just the typical NY to South FL types, or the NY to Raleigh/Cary (the "new" South FL) types.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM

21 posts, read 115,604 times
I've actually never been to Wegman's, I don't think they have that near where I am but it must be popular!

I would miss the delis and pizza but I'm sure they must have a nice pizza place out there lol

Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 115,604 times
Quote:
That really depends on you more than anything else. I grew up on Long Island - not the same but close. It's all about YOUR attitude, not anything else. If you truly want to get away from NYC and the way it is run, then you'll be fine. If you want NYC in the south, not gonna happen.
I agree as well, NYC will always be a beautiful city just like other big cities but I feel like its time to try something new.

I'll need time to weigh the pros and cons of staying here and going there.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,879,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
Thanks everyone! This may be difficult to answer if you've never lived in NYC, but in your personal opinion do you think it would be hard to adapt to living in NC or is it fairly easy?
That depends on what your expectations are. those who show up expecting everything they had access to before, only cheaper, are very disappointed and often spend their whole time complaining and eventually move back north.

What things about the area are drawing you here, versus other places (besides just "it's not NYC")? You should move to an area because you want to be THERE, not because you want to be away from where you are. Have you visited the area and checked out the items that are important to you? There is definitely a big culture shock from a large Northern city such as NYC and you will not be welcomed as much if you aren't able to tone down your "big city" demeanor/attitude, if you have those. Raleigh is a small city and may be too provincial for you, or it may be a breath of fresh air. But nobody wants to hear it if you get here and find it too rinky-dink for your tastes--that's your fault for not finding out ahead of time what you were getting into.

Are you planning on a scouting trip to check out the area first, or just going to move "on a wing and a prayer" and assume you'll like it?

As others have said, there is a huge thread at the top of the forum pointing to thousands of conversations about the area. Read them before deciding where, or if, to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense
Anytime a bunch of people (from wherever) move in droves to a new place (wherever that may be) it then slowly becomes the place they left. This goes for everyone, not just the typical NY to South FL types, or the NY to Raleigh/Cary (the "new" South FL) types.
Despite the swarms of in-migration from particular locales in recent years, the Triangle is still (for awhile) a long, long way from being another NY or South Florida.

THANK GOD.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 AM

^^^ Hahaha, that's not what I'm hearing... not anymore anyway. I did see in an article where the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area is now the number 1 destination for NY folks. But I believe ya.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 AM

22,727 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Agree.

There are tons of people here from NY and NJ. Many of them seem to be in the construction business. You'll be in good company.

However, I must warn you that NY transplants seem to spend a great deal of energy yearning for pizzas, delis and Wegmans. I can sympathize. Was at the Wegmans in Fredericksburg, VA last week and I'm wishing I was there right now.
No Wegman's in NYC area. The only thing I really miss (and only occasionally) is NY deli. We eat a lot of egg sandwiches and hero sandwiches when we are up there.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 AM

22,727 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Hahaha, that's not what I'm hearing... not anymore anyway. I did see in an article where the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area is now the number 1 destination for NY folks. But I believe ya.
There are a ton of NY/NJ transplants here but many of us get as annoyed as the natives (well, maybe only nearly as annoyed) when they act like numnuts. Most people moved here for a change. I always laugh when my DH comes home from somewhere and says "there was this typical NYer on line today...".

But you will also learn that to some people merely having an accent means you are trouble!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM

51,692 posts, read 25,969,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
I've actually never been to Wegman's, I don't think they have that near where I am but it must be popular!

I would miss the delis and pizza but I'm sure they must have a nice pizza place out there lol
Whole C-D threads on that pizza business.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
There are a ton of NY/NJ transplants here but many of us get as annoyed as the natives (well, maybe only nearly as annoyed) when they act like numnuts. Most people moved here for a change. I always laugh when my DH comes home from somewhere and says "there was this typical NYer on line today...".

But you will also learn that to some people merely having an accent means you are trouble!

I am a FL native, I can relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary