Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,369,845 times

Advertisements

I admit it, I am one of those nosey neighbors who goes online to check on homes that go up for sale in my neighborhood so I can see how much they are asking. I like to keep tabs of the prices in my neighborhood and how long it takes for homes to sell. Things have gotten interesting lately because in my relatively small neighborhood there are now 3 homes for sale and the one next door to me will probably go on the market any day now. Anyway, one of the homes for sale has a sign in the yard from some place called “Carolina’s Choice Realty”. From what I gather, this is one of those flat fee agencies. I am not a RE Agent and I have nothing to gain from this, but I am here to tell you that from what I have seen in this case, Carolina’s Choice Realty is pretty lame if you are interested in actually selling your house. There has been a sign and an empty info tube in the yard for 2 weeks now. I drive by the house everyday and can clearly see that info tube has been empty since Day One. I tried to find the house on realtor.com but it doesn’t seem to be on the MLS even though it has been “for sale” for two weeks now. I even went to Carolina’s Choice own website and can’t even find the house on their very own site. From what I can tell, you are basically paying somebody $499 to put a for sale sign in the yard. Sounds like a great marketing strategy! I wonder how helpful they are should you be lucky enough to receive an actual offer.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM

202 posts, read 952,783 times
Did the other 2 houses sell? Do you mind telling me your neighborhood so I can compare how the other 2 houses are being treated versus the flat fee company?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM

578 posts, read 3,087,821 times
I can confirm it's not the case with every flat fee listing company. The Falls River house I purchased was listed by The Listing Company, Inc. which is a flat fee company to my knowledge and the property was in the MLS.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM

202 posts, read 952,783 times
Well how did you find the house that you purchased from the flat fee company? Did you find it yourself? Did your agent bring it up to you?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 PM

It was in the MLS. Appeared online in my own searches and those that my Realtor did.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM

125 posts, read 531,076 times
How do you know this isnt just an isolated incident? Could just be a screw up on the realtors fault, or maybe the realtor is trying to work something out with the seller before they list it online.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:26 PM

161 posts, read 559,924 times
With a flat fee service, what kind of commission does the buying agent make?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 PM

My Realtor received the standard 2.4% which my understanding is required for any MLS listing.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,065,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
My Realtor received the standard 2.4% which my understanding is required for any MLS listing.
There is no standard commission, the seller of the home decides how much commission they are willing to give the agent that brings in a buyer. Although there seems to be a tendency to have a commission around the 2.4 mark, it is something that the home seller can decide.

Leigh

Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM

43,555 posts, read 77,652,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
Moderator Cut: Real estate web site ad

Getting listed flat fee in the MLS just avoids a listing commission. There is plenty of info about this subject at Moderator Cut: Real estate web site.

Careful when choosing between full service and limited service (flat fee mls listing)

Top 10 questions to ask a full service agent before signing up:

1) Ask: How many listing the have within 10 miles of your property?
2) Ask: How many of those listings have sold the past 6 months?
3) Ask: What the average number of days on market (DOM) for those sold homes?
4) Ask: How many of those sold listings were sold by your company?
5) Ask: How many of those sold listings were sold by YOU? That’s the big one.
6) Ask: Do you answer their phone on Saturday?
7) Ask: Do you answer their phone very Sunday?
8) Ask: Are you present when another Realtor shows the home?
9) Ask: Why should I list with you if you aren’t going to be there when the house is shown?
10) Ask: What will you do to sell my house besides put a lock box on my door? (This will raise the feathers of most Realtors but needs to be asked).

Top 10 questions to ask a flat fee MLS company before signing up:

1) Ask: Is the phone answered on Sat and Sun?
2) Ask: How do I get buyer leads that come to you, the listing broker?
3) Ask: Do you use a third party broker to input listing in the MLS?
4) Ask: If so, can I have that broker’s name and number?
5) Ask: What does your yard sign say?
note: If it says anything about flat fee that is not good
6) Ask: If I make a listing change, who would I do that?
7) Ask: If I have an issue with my Realtor.com listing, who would help straighten that out?
8) Ask: If I have a question about a sales contract, will there be a broker to assist me and how much will that cost?
9) Ask: Will you receive offers in my behalf?
10) Ask: Do you have agents that will show my house on short notice if I am unable?

keith, co-owner AREN

I would not list with an agent who made it a rule to interfere with other agents' showings. That showing is the Buyers' time to speak openly with their agent, and the listing agent should not be present to eavesdrop.
The Listing Agent should not be present at showings unless there is an extending circumstance, health of a family member, or valuables in the home(which should be removed anyway.) That is the purpose of lockboxes, to afford the Buyer convenience and privacy.

DOM is such a misleading indicator that it is almost irrelevant currently. Until REALTOR ethics boards clean that mess up, getting hung up on DOM can be a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary