Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM

478 posts, read 2,047,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
The nuclear power plant is not an issue (by living in cary I will gain another day or two probabaly less by suffering from nuclear fall out than by living closer I mean face it we are all doomed if it goes and the wind is blowing in the right direction) Landfill is not an issue either. Our reasons were pretty simple
I'm not as concerned with nuclear reactor as I am with concentrated nuclear waste as is the case with Shearon Harris. Further, Harris is storing more nuclear waste than ever designed to, and will need to expand considerably as more waste will be transported (via train) and other nuclear waste storage sites close/change (ie Barnwell).

There are more complex issues with Shearon Harris than 'if it goes'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM

36 posts, read 153,345 times
Default Type of Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xlaxmom View Post
We have traveled to the area several times trying to decide where we want to land; we are now leaning toward Holly Springs, but would like a little feedback on the town and high school. We are looking to purchase a 4 bed home in the low 400 range what we are wondering is it worth it to get a little less house & land in Cary? We have heard about Cary high schools. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In your price range, Tract-Built home in Cary = Custom-Built home in Holly Springs.
Town of Holly Springs is a very family oriented community.
Holly Springs High School is a brand new facility.
Yes, less house & land in Cary but more close choices for shopping and dining, for the time being. You may likely have a shorter commute by living in Cary...the tradeoff is a likely noisier, more urban environment (you may like this type of environment, as many do).
Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 PM

166 posts, read 139,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMike View Post
In your price range, Tract-Built home in Cary = Custom-Built home in Holly Springs.
Town of Holly Springs is a very family oriented community.
Holly Springs High School is a brand new facility.
Yes, less house & land in Cary but more close choices for shopping and dining, for the time being. You may likely have a shorter commute by living in Cary...the tradeoff is a likely noisier, more urban environment (you may like this type of environment, as many do).
Hope this helps.

Agree on all, except Cary as noisy. It is quite the opposite. Many complain it is boring. Not me, I like it low key.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,690,554 times
Quote:
Hope this helps.
Exactly what part of Cary is urban? I've lived in Cary for a few years now and I still haven't found the urban center.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 AM

36 posts, read 153,345 times
Default Just Generalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Exactly what part of Cary is urban? I've lived in Cary for a few years now and I still haven't found the urban center.
Development is not yet at the point where I can say that a specific part of Cary is urban. I'm just generalizing to assist in a decision by the OP, and I realize a generalization may or may not apply depending on what specific area of Cary we're talking about. I was hoping to get that across by using the terms "likely" and "more urban". However, perhaps I wasn't clear enough... as with my noise statement. For someone looking to choose between the two areas of Cary and Holly Springs it's important to not only look at where things are today, but where things are heading. I do think that, in general, Cary does have a more busy feel than does Holly Springs... more characteristic of urban-type environments. I think that most everyone can agree that Holly Springs has less traffic congestion. The Town of Cary contains more major transportation corridors than does Holly Springs. These major transportation corridors traditionally lend themselves to more urban-type development over time. Since seemingly everyone is now trying to go "green", it's my opinion that more and more high density future development will be concentrated around the exisiting transportation corridors. The Raleigh Metro Area is in a relatively young stage of development compared to some of the larger US Metro Areas, so I think the area is just now beginning to shift in this direction. When we look at popluation sizes, Holly Springs with less than 20,000 people and Cary with over 125,000, Cary does appear to be city-like. Both Cary and Holly Springs have many great, positive attributes so I think it's just a matter of figuring out the place that fits in more harmony with one's lifestyle.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM

166 posts, read 139,546 times
Quote:
Development is not yet at the point where I can say that a specific part of Cary is urban. I'm just generalizing to assist in a decision by the OP, and I realize a generalization may or may not apply depending on what specific area of Cary we're talking about. I was hoping to get that across by using the terms "likely" and "more urban". However, perhaps I wasn't clear enough... as with my noise statement. For someone looking to choose between the two areas of Cary and Holly Springs it's important to not only look at where things are today, but where things are heading. I do think that, in general, Cary does have a more busy feel than does Holly Springs... more characteristic of urban-type environments. I think that most everyone can agree that Holly Springs has less traffic congestion. The Town of Cary contains more major transportation corridors than does Holly Springs. These major transportation corridors traditionally lend themselves to more urban-type development over time. Since seemingly everyone is now trying to go "green", it's my opinion that more and more high density future development will be concentrated around the exisiting transportation corridors. The Raleigh Metro Area is in a relatively young stage of development compared to some of the larger US Metro Areas, so I think the area is just now beginning to shift in this direction. When we look at popluation sizes, Holly Springs with less than 20,000 people and Cary with over 125,000, Cary does appear to be city-like. Both Cary and Holly Springs have many great, positive attributes so I think it's just a matter of figuring out the place that fits in more harmony with one's lifestyle.

Agreed. Good way to describe the situation.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM

14 posts, read 28,815 times
Thank you all for the insight! No offense to those Cary dwellers but I think we have decided on Holly Springs, just has the more rural feel that we are used to.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM

18,260 posts, read 15,795,985 times
Congrats on making your decision! I purchased an 18 year old home in Cary 2 years ago, on a 1/3 acre lot about 1 mi from Bond Park, and there is zero noise from those flying machines. I do hear the occasional train/whistle, maybe once a day if that. I got everything I wanted/needed, the size house that was good for me, a nice size lot with wooded backyard and privacy, on a private cul de sac road (so no cross traffic at all).

So for those reading and researching, there ARE homes in Cary that have space, are not cookie cutter, don't have HOA, have nice size lots, mature landscaping and are centrally located. I'm also 1 mi from the center of downtown Cary.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM

166 posts, read 412,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I'm not as concerned with nuclear reactor as I am with concentrated nuclear waste as is the case with Shearon Harris. Further, Harris is storing more nuclear waste than ever designed to, and will need to expand considerably as more waste will be transported (via train) and other nuclear waste storage sites close/change (ie Barnwell).

There are more complex issues with Shearon Harris than 'if it goes'.
that doesnt sound good? any comments or news?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 PM

767 posts, read 1,850,483 times
Happy you have reached a decision. We live in Sunset Ridge and really love it. I have to add that I think we have very good town services as well...our trash pickup is excellent...better than Cary in my opinion (they will pick up anything for free! and you can leave your leaves on the curb) and other things, such as dealing with the town to get permits, etc, has been very easy and very small town...you talk to the person, he comes right over. No long waits for anything. The town is doing very well at allowing only attractive storefronts with a upscale look, in my opinion. Even the Walmart looks nicer than the average & I heard it was a prototype store...only 10 or so in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary