Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 68,682 times

Advertisements

Hi we are a family of (5) who are thinking of relocating to Cary, Apex or Holly Springs from Long Island. Cary is very much established, and the homes are older, and cost more. We saw some beautiful homes in Apex in the Jamison Park sub-divison, a bit pricey as well. BUT we loved the charm of the subdivision. We also checked out Sunset Oaks, and WoodCreek in Holly Springs. Both are beautiful sub-divisons. WoodCreek is like something out of the movies or your dreams - just gorgeous!!! I know by law that realtors can't tell you about an area if it's good or not, and that is what fustrates me. Someone told me that I should avoid Holly Springs, because the area is like the island of Jamaica...you can't leave your resort! Plus the schools are not good!!! Are there bad areas in Holly Springs, and where are they? This someone mentioned Magnet Schools are the way to go. Any opinions? How are the year round schools in Apex & Holly Springs? I have a child with special needs who is already in an intervention class, and receives speech because he is speech disfluent. The schools are BIG for me. Just want to make sure I do right by him. I also, have a son who is big into lacrosse. How is lacrosse in those areas?
Thanks so much for your responses. It means so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM

189 posts, read 507,958 times
Some of these neighborhoods may have an Apex address but are actually in Cary.
Holly Springs is a smaller town, and therefore the Taxes are much higher than Cary/Apex.
There are some nice neighborhoods near Ten Ten Rd and Kildaire Farm and Penny Rd that are in Cary.

All these areas would come under Wake county schools, and you maybe assigned to a Holly Springs school living in Cary or vice-versa.

I am not sure what you mean by "Holly Springs is like Jamaica".
It is a smaller town, and you will have to drive to Cary/Apex quite often and unless your work place is in town, your commute will be atleast 30 mins. I dont think there are any 'bad' areas in HS, unless you are referring to the Town of Cary Waste treatment plant which is near West Lake or the Nuclear Plant at Shearron.

My advice would be to pick a home you like, within your comfort zone for commuting.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,280 times
There are definitely spots on Holly Springs that have some issues. But I have never witnessed or heard of any crimes...just the occassional drug bust. Nothing out of the ordinary or more than what goes on in other places. There are TONS of new subdivisions in Holly Springs and they mostly overshadow the questionable areas. I would have no problems living in Holly Springs.

The ten-ten/Kildaire area is really nice, but also pricey. If it were me I would rent for a year before making a decision about where to put down roots.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "Realtors can't tell you if an area is good or not". I'm not even sure what you mean about "good or not". Realtors can't talk about children (as part of fair housing) but can certainly tell you if an area is more desirable than another. As a Realtor, I can't tell you about crime in each and every neighborhood (because I simply don't KNOW) but I can certainly advise you to check the websites that alert you to crimes and sex offenders. Fair Housing doesn't allow Realtors to discuss "country of origin" so as another poster asked...where are the Indian neighborhoods, a Realtor would not be allowed to answer that, even if a Realtor knew. Hard to know who lives in each and every home in a neighborhood. Believe me, I wish it wasn't always so cut and dried but Fair Housing is the law and must be obeyed. I suggest you ask your Realtor and if it is something that they can answer, they will. Never hurts to ask, right?!!

Vicki

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM

98 posts, read 301,865 times
Welcome Mommy!!! Hope you like it here. Just to make the analogy to L.I.-Cary is the cream of the crop-like it or not people (North Shore Nassau County(Great Neck,Manhasset,Garden City etc) Apex is more like a combo of Suffolk towns-good hard working people(some $$$ subdivisons)think Babylon or West Islip, Holly Springs is Lindenhurst or Coram. Do think the Jamaica anology is way of control. No area here scares me-with that there are areas too that I would not be caught in or go after dark which can be said about anytown USA. No guarantee that the schools will be close to your home unlike LI where all the kids in the neighborhood most likely go to the same schools together-here it is very common for bro's/sis's to be in totally different schools. Do your research and google everything

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM

306 posts, read 883,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof123 View Post
Hi we are a family of (5) who are thinking of relocating to Cary, Apex or Holly Springs from Long Island. Cary is very much established, and the homes are older, and cost more. We saw some beautiful homes in Apex in the Jamison Park sub-divison, a bit pricey as well. BUT we loved the charm of the subdivision. We also checked out Sunset Oaks, and WoodCreek in Holly Springs. Both are beautiful sub-divisons. WoodCreek is like something out of the movies or your dreams - just gorgeous!!! I know by law that realtors can't tell you about an area if it's good or not, and that is what fustrates me. Someone told me that I should avoid Holly Springs, because the area is like the island of Jamaica...you can't leave your resort! Plus the schools are not good!!! Are there bad areas in Holly Springs, and where are they? This someone mentioned Magnet Schools are the way to go. Any opinions? How are the year round schools in Apex & Holly Springs? I have a child with special needs who is already in an intervention class, and receives speech because he is speech disfluent. The schools are BIG for me. Just want to make sure I do right by him. I also, have a son who is big into lacrosse. How is lacrosse in those areas?
Thanks so much for your responses. It means so much.
Just a few things that may (or may not!) help... Jamison Park is actually in Cary so if you are considering it seriously you may want to check out the tax info. Also, 540 is projected to run right past Jamison Park and will most certainly have an impact on the home prices as well as the whole make-up of that area.

Personally, I love Holly Springs. I don't think you can go wrong with Sunset Oaks - it has continued to do well even now, although the prices have gone down some. It's the only new sub I've seen that has continued to fill up in this economy. I think they go to either Middle Creek or West Lake schools for now (?)

Woodcreek is lovely but I wouldn't buy into it for a while because that whole area past Holly Springs & Sunset Lake intersection is really hurting - both businesses and subs. If you really like it, I would rent and see how it goes with Woodcreek over the next year. Also, again, 540 is set to run right through there. As far as the commute from HS, if you are working in Cary your commute could be 10 minutes! So don't think it's so far out. Besides, compared to how long it takes to get anywhere on LI, it will be an improvement. BTW, I don't live in HS so I am not trying to "sell it", just offering my help! Good luck!!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
I disagree about Cary being similar to Great Neck/Manhasset. My first cousins were born and raised in Kings Point, went to Great Neck schools and it was so so insular. Growing up, they did not know a single person who was not Jewish. Cary is much more diverse with a wide variety of home prices (low 200s to well over a million). It is a lovely large suburban town and a great place for families.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 51,642 times
Default Long Island to Apex

I am a Nassau County family w/ 2 girls ages 2 & 7. We just purchased a home in Apex in Abbington in the new phase Stratford & will be moving there the end of the month. I was set on Cary before we visited & even left a deposit on a new construction home. When we visited I didn't think it actually lived up to all the hype. The subdivision we were looking @ had homes from $500K -$1mill, the problem is that right outside the subdivsion there was land that had trailers on it & basically shacks. Some other subdivisions looked beautiful on line but were very underdeveloped in person (including Jaimeson Park). This also poses an investment risk. As soon as we found Abbington it felt like home. There were tons of kids playing outside, mothers jogging w/ strollers, all the homes were custom built & beautiful but not cookie cutter like some tract builder homes. There is a swimming pool, tennis courts, & tot lot for the kids & you actually get a decent size property (mine is .43). I researched & visited the school my daughter is assigned to & am very happy. I also checked out the community based schools due to re-assignments & am happy w/ them as well. You are not going to get the same schools in Holly Springs. The best part is the nearby Beaver Creek Commons shopping which has everything! I can recommend our realtor (in Cary) who has gone above & beyond to make sure we were properly informed about everything. Being out of state it is really important to have the right realtor. Please fm me for his name or a Long Islanders real take (not sugar coated) on things!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,697 times
Can't beat the bang for the buck Holly Springs has right now. Plus we NC540 will be here in 2012, and my eggs are in that basket. I bought low and hoping someday to sell high.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanes3 View Post
I am a Nassau County family w/ 2 girls ages 2 & 7. We just purchased a home in Apex in Abbington in the new phase Stratford & will be moving there the end of the month. I was set on Cary before we visited & even left a deposit on a new construction home. When we visited I didn't think it actually lived up to all the hype. The subdivision we were looking @ had homes from $500K -$1mill, the problem is that right outside the subdivsion there was land that had trailers on it & basically shacks. Some other subdivisions looked beautiful on line but were very underdeveloped in person (including Jaimeson Park). This also poses an investment risk. As soon as we found Abbington it felt like home. There were tons of kids playing outside, mothers jogging w/ strollers, all the homes were custom built & beautiful but not cookie cutter like some tract builder homes. There is a swimming pool, tennis courts, & tot lot for the kids & you actually get a decent size property (mine is .43). I researched & visited the school my daughter is assigned to & am very happy. I also checked out the community based schools due to re-assignments & am happy w/ them as well. You are not going to get the same schools in Holly Springs. The best part is the nearby Beaver Creek Commons shopping which has everything! I can recommend our realtor (in Cary) who has gone above & beyond to make sure we were properly informed about everything. Being out of state it is really important to have the right realtor. Please fm me for his name or a Long Islanders real take (not sugar coated) on things!
I don't think anyone can make a decision by reading others' opinions and housing is no different. I have many clients that "think" they want Cary when they first come to visit and once they SEE the area, they FEEL differently. I have some that don't like the negative statements that people make about Cary but once they get here, they love Cary.

It is great to gather opinions but there is nothing like seeing it and feeling it for yourself!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary