Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:50 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I worked for a company as one of their six grant writers. Four of them, along with our manager and the division manager, were alcoholics.

I learned the following from them after going to lunch and going on business trips with them:

1. Use side streets after lunch to avoid police and their breathalyzers.
2. On business trips, don't ever go out to eat for dinner. Stay in the hotel bar and drink all night.
3. When you're asked to go and get beer when you are WORKING on a Saturday, don't get a six-pack -- get a case. They were so upset that I bought only a six-pack, they sent me home.

I am not a drinker.

So I would bet that the crazy drivers taking the backroads at high speeds are probably drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Exactly. Probably using backroads as shortcuts because of being in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 PM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Maybe it wasn't W. Chatham - it may have been the intersection where they're putting in the light but it's not active yet. I can't remember.
Westhigh?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:14 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Westhigh?
Yes, it’s Westhigh.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 PM

237 posts, read 238,593 times
IMO, the traffic light on Westhigh is unnecessary and too close to the one on W Chatham. They should just put a No Left Turn 7-9am & 4-6pm sign on Westhigh and call it a day.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:26 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
IMO, the traffic light on Westhigh is unnecessary and too close to the one on W Chatham. They should just put a No Left Turn 7-9am & 4-6pm sign on Westhigh and call it a day.
I think it’s great. People drive like F1 drivers on that stretch of Cary Pkwy. Will be nice to slow them down.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM

555 posts, read 501,333 times
I was once rear-ended so hard on Cary Parkway (by someone trying to cut around me as I slowed to make a right turn) that it totalled my car. Good times.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I'm a bit more restrictive-minded...
The opening in the median at Cary Parkway and Westhigh should have been closed years ago. No lefts in or out.

It is a shame that development of Estates at Westhigh, or even Bishops Gate, couldn't have resulted in a realignment of West High with W Chatham, or another alternative, for a single signalized intersection.
TOC actually owns 4 acres across from W Chatham intersection. Crabtree Creek, so probable environmental hurdles, too.
Hindsight = 20/20 vision, of course.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I'll just go ahead and jump out there and be the lone person who disagrees with the prevailing sentiment of this thread.

My office is on Evans Rd, and my commute takes me on either Cary Pkwy or Maynard, depending on my mood. Using Maynard is about 1.5 miles shorter, but the gauntlet of traffic lights on Kildaire Farm out in front of Trader Joes, et al makes the going slower, so both routes take about the same amount of time.

Going to work at 6:30am, the traffic on Maynard/Cary Pkwy is so light that I use my cruise control so that my speed does not creep up too high. Coming home, however, is another matter. I just go with the flow of traffic, which is usually at about 10 mph above posted.

In my opinion, one of the things that makes things more dangerous (more than the speeding), is when people get in the left lane and do the posted speed limit. I know, I know, the speed limit is 35/45 mph. . . . BUT. . . . they are impeding the flow of traffic. This causes people behind them to get frustrated, check their mirrors more often to look for openings in traffic, tailgate, etc. I understand that these drivers have a right to be in the left lane as Cary Pkwy/Maynard are not freeways, and I know that these drivers will argue that they don't want to be in the right lane due to people turning off onto side streets, but it creates a mess.

Also, people who speed aren't necessarily "in a hurry". Everyone's internal clock is different. Some people bound out of bed in the morning and are rarin' to go. Others hit the snooze 3 times and need 2 cups of coffee before they can function. I'm in the former category. When I am out for a leisurely walk with my family, my wife is constantly telling me to slow down. "Why are you in a hurry?". I'm not in a hurry, that's just the speed in which I am comfortable. Same with driving.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Also, people who speed aren't necessarily "in a hurry". Everyone's internal clock is different. Some people bound out of bed in the morning and are rarin' to go. Others hit the snooze 3 times and need 2 cups of coffee before they can function. I'm in the former category. When I am out for a leisurely walk with my family, my wife is constantly telling me to slow down. "Why are you in a hurry?". I'm not in a hurry, that's just the speed in which I am comfortable. Same with driving.
I was with you until you decided to make an excuse for ignoring rules/laws - your personal "comfort" doesn't apply when getting behind the wheel of a 4000 lb vehicle that is subject on rules/regulations.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'll just go ahead and jump out there and be the lone person who disagrees with the prevailing sentiment of this thread.

My office is on Evans Rd, and my commute takes me on either Cary Pkwy or Maynard, depending on my mood. Using Maynard is about 1.5 miles shorter, but the gauntlet of traffic lights on Kildaire Farm out in front of Trader Joes, et al makes the going slower, so both routes take about the same amount of time.

Going to work at 6:30am, the traffic on Maynard/Cary Pkwy is so light that I use my cruise control so that my speed does not creep up too high. Coming home, however, is another matter. I just go with the flow of traffic, which is usually at about 10 mph above posted.

In my opinion, one of the things that makes things more dangerous (more than the speeding), is when people get in the left lane and do the posted speed limit. I know, I know, the speed limit is 35/45 mph. . . . BUT. . . . they are impeding the flow of traffic. This causes people behind them to get frustrated, check their mirrors more often to look for openings in traffic, tailgate, etc. I understand that these drivers have a right to be in the left lane as Cary Pkwy/Maynard are not freeways, and I know that these drivers will argue that they don't want to be in the right lane due to people turning off onto side streets, but it creates a mess.

The problem is the people getting frustrated, not the people going the speed limit or 5 over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary