Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,488,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
It's all about context for me. On the interstate if I'm going on a long trip, I'll often go 10-15 over (with a V1). On residential streets I drive very cautiously. I always follow the school zones--even the ones without flashing lights (I often find I'm the only one slowing down at Swift Creek Elementary on Tryon for example). In town on major streets I stick to 5 over.

What I will say is that I've been surprised at the number of cars I see driving 10 below the speed limit to be honest.
Your post kind of reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z527hYu1YXo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,980,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
and I'm absolutely for making all phone usage illegal while driving).
I'm heading in the same direction.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,798,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

100mph+ over the limit and felony charges and only a $3000 bond seems low

Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM

7,198 posts, read 6,895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
100mph+ over the limit and felony charges and only a $3000 bond seems low
I grew up there and the bond doesn’t surprise me. Wayne County is notorious for giving ridiculously low bonds in relation to the charges and criminals are well aware of it too. It’s nothing to see the same mugshots 2 or 3 times within a year. That bond would’ve been higher if it had been in Wilson or Johnston counties. It’s a big reason why morale at the Goldsboro PD has been near rock bottom. Problem is that it’s the elephant in the room that no elected official there is willing to talk about. It’s been that way for years. The court system there is beyond f’ed.

Another thing that doesn’t surprise me is that US-70 through town is still being treated as a drag strip at night. That’s another problem that’s been going on for years and I bet this race was setup by someone local. It’s stupid enough to street race to begin with, but if I was dumb enough to do it, US-70 through town would be one of the last places I’d race. I would’ve used the new US-70 Bypass or I-795.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,605,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When someone is speeding they are more alert..... Dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think he meant "more alert than when texting and driving" - which wouldn't be wrong but it also increases your stopping distance if you needed to suddenly stop which is a different kind of danger (which becomes more likely if you are driving faster than the average speed of the vehicles around you)

This is correct. I was merely making a comparison between the two but left out the context so I understand why you, Zitsky, took it the way you did. Rarely do I see someone in a hurry doing 15-over staring at their phone. I usually see them in correct posture looking ahead paying attention. When I see someone on their phone they're speed is up and down and they're swerving back and forth because they're looking down like a zombie. They're the one who smash into the back of you.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,329,526 times
So the accident I mentioned in the original post, was at Cary Parkway and Westhigh. Apparently there was a more minor accident that occurred prior, a car was parked in the roadway unoccupied after the accident while checking on the other driver, and someone apparently wasn't paying attention and plowed into it full speed.

Moral of the story - slow down AND pay attention.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,556,967 times
deleted and blocked the complainer

Last edited by K4GPB; 11-19-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
11/16: Westhigh & Cary Pkwy Accident reports:

18010207 18010208

Full accident report in .pdf form is at: Town of Cary Police Department P2C

Glad to see a signal light going in for an intersection that has senior home, church, residential--all with only one exit on to twisting Cary Pkwy.
I didn't post links to the reports because I don't think it's fair to those involved to have their personal info highlighted on a public forum. Yes it's publicly available, but no need to make it easier.

Anyhow, the light at Westhigh wouldn't have prevented this. If you don't see a car stopped in front of you, you're not seeing a traffic light either.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:21 PM

812 posts, read 699,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Just drove by another major wreck in Cary - seeing them frequently lately it seems. Gonna get on my high horse for a second:

Roads like Cary Parkway, High House, etc are not freeways. They have intersections, turning lanes, center lanes, sidewalks with pedestrians, school buses with kids on them, etc, etc. Going 60-65 mph on a road like that with a 45mph speed limit is not safe. No matter how awesome of a driver you think you are, mistakes happen and people may not see you coming. Getting t-boned, rear ended, or in a head on collision at 65mph is a whole lot different than 45mph. So is your reaction time.

Relax - we're in the south (sort of). You don't always have to be first.
Not sure when you're driving on Cary Pkwy or High House, but I work in that area and have a hard time ever going the speed limit due to all the dingalings clogging up the roads by going five under in the left lane.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Not sure when you're driving on Cary Pkwy or High House, but I work in that area and have a hard time ever going the speed limit due to all the dingalings clogging up the roads by going five under in the left lane.
I literally never see that....ever. Maybe my speedometer is off and that's why everyone's always on my ass when I'm going 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary