Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 19,004 times

Advertisements

Just as the title asks. Are they connecting the roads to cross over Morrisville-Carpetner Rd? I know that part of all the contruction going on there was a new greenway, but it also looks like they are making way for new road as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,801,883 times
I wanted to check out the new greenway, so rode over on the bike via the Preston side a few days ago. I see no signs of any work to extend the road. The road ends and there is a greenway entrance right there. The last I saw, late last year, was that although Morrisville had added the road back to the long term plan, it was still being fought tooth and nail by residents (especially Preston people). I don't expect it to get built any time soon if at all.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM

4,332 posts, read 6,030,740 times
The plan was killed years ago, but last year resurfaced in both Morrisville's and CAMPO's long-range plans. CAMPO quickly removed it once people objected again.

Morrisville is taking a closer look at whether they want to keep it in their plan or not. They added it based on community suggestions, and are doing various models to determine the impact it would have. The new transportation plan update hasn't yet been finalized, so it's unclear whether it will make it in. Regardless, they're talking about it being 25+ years out if it ever does happen.

http://www.townofmorrisville.org/hom...cument?id=1804

Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,838,182 times
There is a project to widen Morrisville Carpenter Road currently getting underway that will be putting a stub in that would allow for a future connection, should they decide to move forward with it.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM

11,246 posts, read 8,371,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I wanted to check out the new greenway, so rode over on the bike via the Preston side a few days ago. I see no signs of any work to extend the road. The road ends and there is a greenway entrance right there. The last I saw, late last year, was that although Morrisville had added the road back to the long term plan, it was still being fought tooth and nail by residents (especially Preston people). I don't expect it to get built any time soon if at all.
I've been riding a lot of the new greenways. Can you elaborate on where the bolded one is?

I'm less familiar with the roads than I am the greenways, so please bear with me. Is that the end of Town Hall (on the far end, accross McCrimmon)? Or elsewhere.

FWIW, one of the greenway spurs dumps out onto Crabtree Crossing, maybe that's the one you are talking?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

FWIW, one of the greenway spurs dumps out onto Crabtree Crossing, maybe that's the one you are talking?

That one. The Hatcher Creek Greenway that runs parallel to, and is between, Morrisville Pkwy and Morrisville-Carpenter.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 PM

9,158 posts, read 14,847,934 times
The current work you see is the addition of the greenway section as well as the gas company reworking the gas line through there.

Sadly, in spite of the extension of Crabtree crossing being approved by the voters in a bond issue in 2004 as part of the Morrisvlle Carpenter intersection improvements (was around an 85%) margin, a past Town council chose to give in to unfounded fears from a vocal group of around 100 people. This is the same council makeup that resulted in most road projects in town being put on hold in some kind of crazy hope that it would stop people driving through. They decided to remove the project from the transportation plan last time and people somehow think it can never be put back even though the plan is very forward looking and is supposed to be revised every few years. These are a group of people that live on a road named Crabtree Crossing that doesn’t yet cross over Crabtree Creek.

All the data from model runs has shown that while there will of course be some impact, it will be on the order of a few hundred cars a day, while these groups are claiming tens of thousands of cars will drive right through their neighborhood. They enjoy nice connections to Cary Parkway and to Crabtree zcrossing to Morrisville Parkway but don’t want anyone else to use those roads.

But yes, the transportation plan will come before the town council soon and there may be a small chance to to move the road forward in a more meaniful way, but it will take people being willing to step forward in favor to counter the same few people who are sending comment after comment and email after email.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 PM

18,553 posts, read 15,990,503 times
So glad you guys brought this up. I was wondering if the Hatcher Creek/Crabtree greenway was completed or at least partly ridable at this point. I've not explored this for myself. Any updates to share for those of you who have just seen/ridden it?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 PM

22,757 posts, read 37,039,728 times
The mayor of Morrisville lives in Preston and all his friends and neighbors are doing the complaining....so you can forget Crabtree Crossing getting any play for an extension while he's in office.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So glad you guys brought this up. I was wondering if the Hatcher Creek/Crabtree greenway was completed or at least partly ridable at this point. I've not explored this for myself. Any updates to share for those of you who have just seen/ridden it?
The portion west of the RR tracks are open. The eastern portion is supposed to open soon. Also, Cary is getting close on the Crabtree Greenway connector that will link Hatcher to Black Creek greenway at Lake Crabtree. Unfortunately, the Hatcher will not initially go under the RR and 54. They will add that next year when they redo that bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary