Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times

Advertisements

Will it ever happen?

Watch the dialogue here, with the Cary Mayor:
Harold’s Blog: Crabtree Crossing, Smart Cities Grant and More – CaryCitizen

past NIMBY history:
Neighbors help put brakes on Cary-Morrisville road project | abc11.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
Although I'm in favor of better connectivity for both vehicles and pedestrians, and do think the Crabtree Crossing connection would be useful, widening NC54 would be a much wiser, more impactful allocation of funds.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Although I'm in favor of better connectivity for both vehicles and pedestrians, and do think the Crabtree Crossing connection would be useful, widening NC54 would be a much wiser, more impactful allocation of funds.
I do not think it makes sense to connect these as nobody is going to want to commute down Crabtree Crossing with all those speed tables and that road is FULL of homes that are RIGHT on the road.

I agree that widening NC54 is what makes the most sense and will be the most useful.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:04 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,729,877 times
I hear what ya'll are saying but I think that connection needs to be made simply from the standpoint that the railroad crossing at Morrisville Carpenter and 54 can effectively cut off East-West traffic sometimes in that area. Having another way to effectively bypass the tracks (so to speak) would be enormously helpful when stupid idiots decide to f' up trains by parking on the tracks when the crossing arms come down.

That and biking to/from Park West Village would be far more friendly from the Town Hall area as opposed to using 54 and signing your own death warrant to a car. I may be slightly bitter in this regard. I don't like the idea of biking on 54.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I hear what ya'll are saying but I think that connection needs to be made simply from the standpoint that the railroad crossing at Morrisville Carpenter and 54 can effectively cut off East-West traffic sometimes in that area. Having another way to effectively bypass the tracks (so to speak) would be enormously helpful when stupid idiots decide to f' up trains by parking on the tracks when the crossing arms come down.

That and biking to/from Park West Village would be far more friendly from the Town Hall area as opposed to using 54 and signing your own death warrant to a car. I may be slightly bitter in this regard. I don't like the idea of biking on 54.
I wouldn't pour money into a road solely for cyclists and I do respect their right to use the roads just like cars.

That said, 54 has been aching to be widened for a very long time. If they have money for both projects, I see no reason not to complete them, but I think 54 is the more pressing issue.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I wouldn't pour money into a road solely for cyclists and I do respect their right to use the roads just like cars.

That said, 54 has been aching to be widened for a very long time. If they have money for both projects, I see no reason not to complete them, but I think 54 is the more pressing issue.
I'm not saying just for cyclists though. There's not really a good North-South connection in that area if there's a problem at the railroad tracks without having to go all the way over to Davis Drive on Morrisville Carpenter, and then all the way back down Morrisville Parkway.

That section of Crabtree Crossing Parkway (North of Morrisville Parkway) also does not have any speed tables/bumps on it from what I can tell on Google Maps. So it could very much be a good cut-thru from Morrisville Carpenter to Morrisville Parkway and Park West Village.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying just for cyclists though. There's not really a good North-South connection in that area if there's a problem at the railroad tracks without having to go all the way over to Davis Drive on Morrisville Carpenter, and then all the way back down Morrisville Parkway.

That section of Crabtree Crossing Parkway (North of Morrisville Parkway) also does not have any speed tables/bumps on it from what I can tell on Google Maps. So it could very much be a good cut-thru from Morrisville Carpenter to Morrisville Parkway and Park West Village.
Well, I do sort of see your point there. If Morrisville thinks it's a good plan, I'd probably use it sometimes.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
Quote:
If a road connection is not built, a greenway connection definitely will be built, so that helps cyclist and pedestrians. I don't think I've heard a single word from anybody suggesting at least a greenway connection should not happen. The connection is already mostly done, in fact, and I use it regularly to bike through there on my way to work.

The only question is whether to allow cars to connect.

If the connection were built, it would see a great deal of traffic between Morrisville Carpenter and Morrisville Parkway, since people would use it to bypass the choke point on NC54 at Morrisville Carpenter. South of Morrisville Parkway, however, I think there would continue to be very little traffic even after the connection. Everybody would use Morrisville Parkway (which has capacity to spare) to get back to NC54. If it were useful as a bypass, people would already be using it to cut from High House and Cary Parkway to Morrisville Parkway, but very few people do that - the speed tables are too much of a pain in the you-know-what. I bike through there several times a week at rush hour and there's no traffic at all. I pass by maybe five or ten cars the entire time I'm on that road. I would predict no more than a 50% increase in traffic which would still amount to basically nothing. If through traffic does become an issue, just add more speed tables.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:40 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, I do sort of see your point there. If Morrisville thinks it's a good plan, I'd probably use it sometimes.
Yeah, I mean I don't really care all that much either as I'm moving out of that general area shortly, but coming from a personal point of view as someone that basically lives in Park West Village right now -- I would use the heck out of Crabtree Crossing Parkway to Morrisville Carpenter if it actually existed right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary