Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,401,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Agreed.

I hope the people from California dont follow Apple too much if we get it. They are ruining that state and looking to spread it elsewhere. No thanks. Keep your bums defecating in the streets. Why are left run states so expensive to live and people flee them? Most of the NE and California are losing tons of people. I wonder why?
Since 2010, California is growing by over 300,000 people each year. Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey are all adding population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I hope the people from California dont follow Apple too much if we get it. They are ruining that state and looking to spread it elsewhere. No thanks. Keep your bums defecating in the streets. Why are left run states so expensive to live and people flee them? Most of the NE and California are losing tons of people. I wonder why?
Bums are in Cali because of the weather, something Raleigh and NC does not have in common. My hunch is no, those people will not be coming to Raleigh.

Well meaning politicians try to clean up the problem but only encourage more of it, unfortunately.

If you were in charge over there what would you do? Forcefully relocate people? Maybe arrest them? At what cost? All that does is relocate them temporarily and at great cost to the taxpayer.

Maybe the left leaning places are expensive to live because they are desirable by a large portion of the population and have a large economic base with good jobs. Actually yeah that's exactly why they are expensive.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,426,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Bums are in Cali because of the weather, something Raleigh and NC does not have in common. My hunch is no, those people will not be coming to Raleigh.

Well meaning politicians try to clean up the problem but only encourage more of it, unfortunately.

If you were in charge over there what would you do? Forcefully relocate people? Maybe arrest them? At what cost? All that does is relocate them temporarily and at great cost to the taxpayer.

Maybe the left leaning places are expensive to live because they are desirable by a large portion of the population and have a large economic base with good jobs. Actually yeah that's exactly why they are expensive.
Or its tax tax tax and spend spend spend. Why do so many move from the NE to Raleigh? The biggest relocators to this area are from the NE and everyone of them says for a lower cost of living is the main driving force and weather is #2. The left leaning government taxes the hell out of everyone and spends the money without any regard. People have left there with $500k homes and $20,000+ taxes. You want that here? I think not.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,407,284 times
Quote:
Or its tax tax tax and spend spend spend. Why do so many move from the NE to Raleigh? The biggest relocators to this area are from the NE and everyone of them says for a lower cost of living is the main driving force and weather is #2. The left leaning government taxes the hell out of everyone and spends the money without any regard. People have left there with $500k homes and $20,000+ taxes. You want that here? I think not.

It’s expensive because it’s desirable.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 AM

495 posts, read 1,079,519 times
Quote:
This argument is like saying the web.com tour attracts the most burnouts from the PGA Tour so the PGA Tour must not be any good. That’s not to say that this area doesn’t have desirable characteristics, but it’s a small minority of people who are leaving Cali / NE to come here and for a variety of reasons, some by choice and some by desperation.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 07-17-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
The oft maligned "left" parts of the country are responsible for well more than their fair share of the country's GDP and innovation.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,820,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It’s expensive because it’s desirable.
I am from there. My dual income/no kids lifestyle there was horrible. For everyone who loves it there there is someone else who is simply trapped there.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM

495 posts, read 1,079,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I am from there. My dual income/no kids lifestyle there was horrible. For everyone who loves it there there is someone else who is simply trapped there.
Trapped there how? Because the economy is so comparatively strong in those areas that it’s hard to find a job elsewhere to sustain a lifestyle even in a much lower CoL area? That’s exactly the point that those areas are far from “failed” states.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
Yes this whole argument that everyone is leaving California and other "left run" states is ridiculous. They are expensive to live in because their economies are strong...supply and demand? Of course they are no land of milk and honey like the conservative bastions Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. which generally rank at the bottom in most metrics of income, health and happiness.

The fact is there are both liberal and conservative states that are currently doing well. The argument that "left run" states are all failing is ridiculous. I would much rather have invested in land in CA a decade ago than West Virginia.
True, California is now 5th largest economy in the world, and Gov. Moonbeam stated that California had an $8- $18 billion budget surplus on 60 minutes.

New York City is still growing in population and also currently has a surplus.

But Americans are fleeing both places as the American dream is no longer attainable for the middle-class.

International in-migration is stabilizing the populations of California and the Northeastern states.

Illinois and Chicago are losing population due to their handling of finances.

But at the same time so many towers are under construction in Chicago that recently they couldn't find enough cranes to meet the need there.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,832,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigranch92 View Post
For those still in doubt, Apple is indeed coming here. My builder's warranty guy confirmed he is building a house for an apple exec in North Raleigh.
Location of campus most likely to be in RTP on Davis Drive.
I read something similar a while back. Apple will be renting temporary space in Cary and then moving to a yet to be determined location in Southern RTP (Wake County Part of RTP). I just hope that means they widen Kit Creek. It may help with the extension of O'Kelly Chapel to Little Dr. The new Wegman's will be around that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary