Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

You're from here if you've heard this one from Raleigh's very own Franky and the Damons.....from the 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEV-4xp5LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
The top of the Holiday Inn DID turn! I was up there. I remember all that North Hills stuff. I wish I could find photos of that old mall online. I loved the World Bazaar. Remember the Cafeteria at North Hills? I used to go with my parents every Friday night.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
There are some interior shots of NH mall here:

fp-slides (http://raleighfirehistory.org/photos/fp-slides/ - broken link)

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Something new to me is the updated iMaps page on Wake co. real estate site. You can see aerial shots dating back to 1981.

City of Raleigh and Wake County iMaps

Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM

73 posts, read 167,328 times
I am a Cary girl… but def have some Raleigh memories!!! I am also a child of the '80s and please forgive if any of these are repeats!

^^I DO remember the cafeteria at North Hills!!!
-I was born in the OLD Wake Med
-I remember making special trips with my mom to the Hudson Belk downtown
-Also I have stood by Thalheimers=>Hechts=>Macys
-I remember before RBC, before the DPAC, before even a new and improved Civic Center there was Dorton Arena!!!
Cary Stuff-
-I remember going to Cary Village before it became Cary Town Center
- I remember when my biggest association with Panther Creek was really good sledding!
-I can remember when O'Kelly Chapel, Alston Ave, Yates Store and Green Level Church were all at least partially dirt road.
-I can show you the location of the ORIGINAL Green Hope School and my Grandmother was part of the graduating class of 1943.

Hmmm…. that might be all for right now! I'm sure I'll think of more later…. this is a neat thread!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalGal View Post
I am a Cary girl… but def have some Raleigh memories!!! I am also a child of the '80s and please forgive if any of these are repeats!

^^I DO remember the cafeteria at North Hills!!!
-I was born in the OLD Wake Med
-I remember making special trips with my mom to the Hudson Belk downtown
-Also I have stood by Thalheimers=>Hechts=>Macys
-I remember before RBC, before the DPAC, before even a new and improved Civic Center there was Dorton Arena!!!
Cary Stuff-
-I remember going to Cary Village before it became Cary Town Center
- I remember when my biggest association with Panther Creek was really good sledding!
-I can remember when O'Kelly Chapel, Alston Ave, Yates Store and Green Level Church were all at least partially dirt road.
-I can show you the location of the ORIGINAL Green Hope School and my Grandmother was part of the graduating class of 1943.

Hmmm…. that might be all for right now! I'm sure I'll think of more later…. this is a neat thread!
I was born at Wake Memorial (Wake Med) in its early years. I'm one of Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson's many babies. The nursery was segregated, which surprised my mother. 25 years later, I had my son there! (My daughter joined my mother & my sister as Rex babies. 3 different location!)

I remember going to North Hills a lot. Daddy always had to get something at Cokesbury. I bought my wedding dress at Bride's World. We always ate at the K&W and then went to Hickory Farms to get samples.

I'm feeling my age!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM

73 posts, read 167,328 times
^^Yes it was called Wake Memorial! That's right! And I remember going to Hickory Farms as well :-). It is funny what is triggered by others!! Oh the good old days! My little brother was born in "the Old Rex"

Old 02-16-2011, 09:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
This is my favorite thread! I am glad it resurected!
I got my prom tuxedos in North Hills Mall!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There are some interior shots of NH mall here:

fp-slides (http://raleighfirehistory.org/photos/fp-slides/ - broken link)
WONDERFUL!! Also, I love seeing the Ralston-Purina silos in South Raleigh the way they used to look--you'd always pass them on the way to the beach!

There are a couple of old pamphlets from the EARLY North Hills Mall days in the Facebook group I mention above. But these from 1982 (love the "Let's Get Physical" headbands on the girls ) are wonderful, more my era! I might even have been working at Ragamuffin's restaurant at the end of the mall on this very day! I see Ivey's was still Ivey's, not Dillard's! And I remember Will's bookstore (it was my competition later when I managed the Waldenbooks in the 1990s--which was not even built yet in 1982). And the best hot dogs on the planet were from SCOTTY'S! I ate there at least 4 days a week when I worked in the mall! I also remember going to Cub Scout days in that exact spot of the mall, when I was younger.

Yay for North Hills MALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary