Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 02:02 PM

75 posts, read 151,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
WTVD Channel 11 Durham carried his show every Saturday. My grandfather used to advertise on his show every week and I would go with him.

OMG, was he the owner of the club "Thorntons" that was located on the intersection of South Saunders and Wilmington St? I remember that place.
When it closed it moved out on Poole Rd and became The Country Music Barn. I use to know the owner of that place but I cant remember his name. I bought a 1969 Dodge Charger from him when he was working at the old Goodman Toyota on Downtown Blvd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
There used to be a big old junkyard near the corner of Six Forks Road and Strickland.. my husband said it was practically a day trip to drive out there.. to "the sticks" as he called it.

Same with Creedmoor Road and Strickland and all points North.. that's where you went to learn how to drive.

Neighborhoods like Wood Valley, Springdale Gardens and Estates.. very isolated. Beautiful lots, mature trees - before the days of national builders and clear cutting.

We know people who moved "out to Stonehenge" b/c they couldn't afford anything else. They paid $75,000 for a home that is easily now worth $350,000.. maybe more..

..memories...
That junkyard would have been called "T.E. Nines Used Auto Parts" and I frequented it often. They sold the land and moved outside Zebulon NC back in the 80's

Old 01-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
That's what I was trying to say but couldn't think of a polite way to word it....

Speaking of erotic movie theaters.. who remembers the old Old drive- in at New Hope Church Road and Capital? There is a Marshalls there now.... and for a long time a Phar Mor (not sure what is there now)... and an Uptons (long gone too)....
I remember it well. We went there many times. It was called " The Forest Drive In". In its later days it was used as a flea market before it closed and it became what it is now. Nothing!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There use dot be an old drive in theater on HWY 401 in Raleigh right outside of Garner too.
That would be the old " Center Drive In ". There were many nights there were actually more cars parked on the side of the road then were inside the property itself. So funny back in those days.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do y'all remember Barry's on Hillsborough Street?
Barry's, isn't the place where you could party on top of the building? I remember there were usually quite a bit of out of control NC State wrestlers that partied there. Is the right place?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
That hill above Crabtree where Crossroads used to be was originally the home of Kidd Brewer. It was always known as Kidd's Hill. He built it in the early 50's prior to his running for governor and going to federal prison. There was a large pond where the mall is today and cows as well. Hope that helps.
Yea I remember this. Also Kidd Brewers son was in a couple movies most notably The Abyss as one of the crew. He had quite the appetite for Cocaine if I remember correctly and he passed many years ago.
When Crabtree Valley was built Jean Dixon, or someone like her, predicted that the end of the world would come when Crabtree Mall was under water and the sun was directly over it or something like that. I remember thinking this lady's crazy!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
well you are more sure than I am so that's probably it. lol
I can tell you that it was originally called the "ITT Sheraton Inn", later shortened to "The Sheraton". I stayed there a couple times almost for free as I worked at ITT on Wake Forest Rd and the company gave deep discounts on reservations there. Nice place back in the 70's as were many places back then!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Funny that someone else asked about Shooters. I was going to mention that. As well as Jillians, Weekends and other various names for the same place. Is East Village still around? Wow just writing that makes my liver hurt.

AND MMMMmmmm the original CharGrill. Oh yummy!

G105 used to have a DJ named Dude Walker. Another named Chris St. John that would "blow maggots" up on the air for requesting Duran Duran music.

Steak and Ale was a "fancy" place at one time before they closed

Speaking my fave, Charlie Gaddy, remember the telethon? Even better, remember the song that went with the telethon phone number? It went to the "when the saints come marching in" tune.

"Oh 829 9211 oh 829 92 11 Oh won't you pleeeease call that numbeeeer 829-92-1-1!!!"
The Steak and Ale was a nice place back in the day. I roofed that restaurant and let me tell ya. Those Cedar Shake shingles almost killed me! I almost fell off the thing a couple times while we were putting them on. We used to eat lunch at the Pizza Hut across the street from it. Of course drinking at lunch didn't help any!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM

677 posts, read 1,905,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
Barry's, isn't the place where you could party on top of the building? I remember there were usually quite a bit of out of control NC State wrestlers that partied there. Is the right place?
That was called Hillsborough Square. Barry's was in a different spot..I think it was upstairs too but not outside.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmkish View Post
...you bought one of your first bikes from Flythe...

....you used to eat at Hang Chow

....Fried Chicken from the Golden Skillet..
I remember Golden Skillet, was right across from Peace Street Market. They had some great chicken! We lived on W Johnson St directly across the street from Broughton High School and we were always at either Golden Skillet or the McDonalds up on top of the hill. Remember the Brown Cow across from McDonalds? It was a drive through drink and cigarette store and you could buy kegs from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary