Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM

222 posts, read 936,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ_011 View Post
Can anyone explain the reason for the massive growth? I'll be honest, I'm from Michigan and have heard about the explosive growth of Raleigh for years now and just don't understand where it has come from. For example, how does a city just blow up economically like that? We have taken huge economy hits, downsizing, relocation outward for years and it just amazes me when I hear about the opportunity down there. So, in short, what's the deal? Any response is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
Research Triangle Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Exactly...research triangle park...home to numerous tech and biotech companies...these companies are then surrounded by 3 huge universities (UNC/NCSU/Duke) and many smaller ones...that churn out graduates that fit perfectly into these companies.
imo, the thing that started the growth was building I-40 to/through Raleigh in 1990. Yeah, RTP provided jobs, but no business would move to the triangle without the way to get there. I used to hate driving to Raleigh on 54 or 70. Now I hate driving on 40!

But. I have enjoyed reading this thread. I remember some of those things from living in the area for a year from the 'you know you're from Raleigh...' post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Raleigh has been growing for along time. IBM came to the park in 1958 or so when we had around 75k folks living in what was then a sleepy southern town. We had 122k in 1970, 150k in 1980, 207 in 1990 and 276 in 2000. So we were growing rapidly well before the major roads were built here. Former Gov Luther Hodges had more to do with the growth than any road that was ever built. The roads came because of the growth. The growth came because of RTP.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Raleigh has been growing for along time. IBM came to the park in 1958 or so when we had around 75k folks living in what was then a sleepy southern town. We had 122k in 1970, 150k in 1980, 207 in 1990 and 276 in 2000. So we were growing rapidly well before the major roads were built here. Former Gov Luther Hodges had more to do with the growth than any road that was ever built. The roads came because of the growth. The growth came because of RTP.
AGREED.

Also, we've been on those "best places to live" lists since the early 1990s. RDU was chosen as an American Airlines hub in 1987, back when 40 still stopped at Davis Drive, so somebody knew something before that time.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 AM

9 posts, read 40,672 times
I am 34 now, and looking back, if I had to isolate the greatest period of sustained happiness in my life, it would be the times I lived in Raleigh.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I'm another in agreement that RTP is the reason for the Triangle's explosive growth. And, as uncletupelo mentions, IBM is a huge part of that growth (especially for Raleigh). When IBM first committed to RTP, they did so on the condition that the stretch of I-40 be built between RTP and Wade Ave. in Raleigh so that they could connect to their existing operations in Raleigh and the employees who already lived there. This decision fueled Raleigh's growth at a time when Raleigh and Durham were more equal in size than they are today.
IBM's decision to grow significantly in RTP was a catalyst to other companies locating in the Park or RTP area. I know for certain that their presence played into the decision by Cisco to open operations in the area in the early/mid 90's. Although I don't know for sure, I'd also imagine that it played into the decision for Northern Telecom (now Nortel) to do the same.
....then there's the whole pharmaceutical side of the equation.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
This is the best thread ever...i deserve much more kudos...kk thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
You know you're from Raleigh if you don't run out and buy batteries and a generator for every hurricane that threatens the east coast!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 40,672 times
...you bought one of your first bikes from Flythe...

....you used to eat at Hang Chow

....Fried Chicken from the Golden Skillet..

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmkish View Post
...you bought one of your first bikes from Flythe....
...or from all-star bike shop at South Hills mall.

Speaking of South hills, does anyone remember the seafood restaraunt that was there, The Fishermen Three. How about after it closed and became Lock, Stock, and Barrell? I used to love the pizza there.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 245,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcodgette58 View Post
Does anyone remember the name of t he arcade in the Cameron Village Underground? That used to be the 'hang-out' for kids from Broughton High.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
I guess I will show my age and mention some other really fun places we used to go in the late 70's...the whole Cameron Village Underground with The Pier, Cafe Deja Vu.
I'm not originally from Raleigh (only been here 16 years), but the posts quoted above reminded me of a cool blog entry I read recently......Apparently, the Underground was called The Village Subway. It once included shops and nightclubs (including Frog & Nightgown and The Pier).... It shut down in 1984, but still exists (abandoned) under the current Cameron Village.1 Here's the link to the blog entry about the place (and it has pictures): Goodnight, Raleigh! » The Raleigh Underground: A Lost Phenomenon .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary