Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,830,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Positive. A neighbor of ours was shot on that road when I was a kid, and that kind of thing really sticks in a kid's head. Yes, Jeffrey's Grove is on Creedmoor and always has been. When I attended Jeffrey's Grove in the early 70s it served pretty much everything north of it up to Barton's Creek (north of Norwood), and everything east to Six Forks Road. The entire road that is now Baileywick was called Shacktown Road. I don't remember any roads right around Jeffrey's Grove being called Shacktown, but I lived so far from there that I didn't know that area well. It is possible that there was more than one.
When I was growing up we always referred to Jeffrey's Grove Elementary School as Jeffrey's Junkyard. That was in the late 80's and early 90's...hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, and if I'm not thinking, I'll still get these confused, and go to 9 (11) for CBS or 3 (5) for ABC, even though they switched sometime around 1984! And UHF 28 was NBC, pre-cable.

Remember when Crabtree was first built, all the hubbub about it? "Biggest mall between DC and Atlanta!" Those '70s colors on the ceiling (orange, magenta, etc) and the big fountain by the escalators (which would serve as its logo for years)? Anchor stores were Hudson Belk (which hasn't changed on the outside) and Sears, Thalhimer's in the middle. The Cheese Shop that used to be downstairs right by Belk's, forever? The drugstore upstairs on that end and G.C Murphy downstairs on the other end. Both a Waldenbooks and a B. Dalton were there, downstairs. Upstairs by Sears, there was a Wood/Leather store, a pet store, and Lifeway Christian books.

What about Shakey's Pizza over near Creekside, the Pizza Inns at Falls Village and Lake Boone shopping centers. Creekside seafood, as well as the "Flying Cloud", which was shaped like a ship (later became a beach music club?) The Pepsi plant where Costco is now (you gotta be REALLY new not to know that one) and the Keebler plant across from there. And of course, the KMart where Staples/Borders is now, that would flood EVERY time it rained,along with the car dealerships down by Crabtree Creek.

Speaking of cars, Wiygul-Sanders Ford on Downtown Blvd near Peace St., with that weird-shaped building? And the bank sign just as you went under the bridge into downtown, that would change between three different ads?

Field trips to the OLD museum of Natural Science, with all of the poisonous snakes in the first room when you walked in, and that exhibit in the next room about geology where you'd push the buttons to light up sedimentary/igneous/metamorphic? "George" the python upstairs?

When the Rialto theatre was called the Colony and the colony was called the Terrace? (By the way, the Colony theatre is one place you can still feel like you're back in the '70s; that carpet on the walls has been there since then! I used to go to Rocky Horror there almost weekly as a teen, for a while).
My husband worked at the cheese shop at Crabtree !! He still speaks fondly of the owner. I applied for a HR job at the old Pepsi plant where Cotsco now stands. I almost forgot about the Keebler plant !!!

Does anybody remember when Sams restaurant was one of the premier places to eat? What is the name of that shopping center? The "plaza" has been pretty much vacant for many, many years. I keep thinking somebody is going to come along and rennovate it - such a good area !!!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Positive. A neighbor of ours was shot on that road when I was a kid, and that kind of thing really sticks in a kid's head. Yes, Jeffrey's Grove is on Creedmoor and always has been. When I attended Jeffrey's Grove in the early 70s it served pretty much everything north of it up to Barton's Creek (north of Norwood), and everything east to Six Forks Road. The entire road that is now Baileywick was called Shacktown Road. I don't remember any roads right around Jeffrey's Grove being called Shacktown, but I lived so far from there that I didn't know that area well. It is possible that there was more than one.
Shacktown Road? That doesn't sound too good.
I remember when they tore down the "old" Jeffrey's Grove and built a new school on the same site - didn't the old school serve grades 1-12 a long, long time ago??

Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM

When did Raleigh City schools and the county schools merge?
Were the Wake County schools one entitity before the merge?
Did they merge for integration purposes??

Also, when did schools go elementary (K-6), junior high (7-9) and senior high (10-12) to their present day elementary (k-5), middle school (6-8) and high (9-12). Did it just change from all at once?

My husband graduated from Sanderson in 1978 and it was 10-12. By the time we moved here in 1985 - Sanderson was 9-12 - so I know it happened between 78 and 85.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
When I was growing up we always referred to Jeffrey's Grove Elementary School as Jeffrey's Junkyard. That was in the late 80's and early 90's...hahaha.
Speaking of junkyards........
My husband talks about the junkyard at near strickland and six forks.... they are building some kind of high dollar condos or something there right now. I'm not sure when the junkyard part went away - when we moved here in 1985 it was just pasture. Until just recently, it was one of.. if not the last.. undeveloped parcels in that area...

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,051,816 times
Default reply

They merged in 75 or 76. It was pretty much forced by the feds for intergration. I started school here in 1972 and bussing was in full force then. High schools were 10-12 until the fall of 1982 or 83. We also had 6th grade centers from around 74 until 81. There were four of them all located in downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,154,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
They merged in 75 or 76. It was pretty much forced by the feds for intergration. I started school here in 1972 and bussing was in full force then. High schools were 10-12 until the fall of 1982 or 83. We also had 6th grade centers from around 74 until 81. There were four of them all located in downtown Raleigh.
Yup, it was 1976 (I checked the WCPSS site WCPSS: (http://www.wcpss.net/annual-reports/2001_annual_report/timeline/ - broken link) )

I graduated from Millbrook in 1983, and it was still 10-12 that year, so I think it must have been the fall of 1983.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,154,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I remember when they tore down the "old" Jeffrey's Grove and built a new school on the same site - didn't the old school serve grades 1-12 a long, long time ago??
I think it may have, but that would have been back when it was still a segregated school. I had classmates whose parents had gone there, but not sure for what grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest
Does anybody remember when Sams restaurant was one of the premier places to eat?
Yes! Sam's Steakhouse! They had shrimp on the 40+ item salad bar which was just SO exotic!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,051,816 times
Default reply

You can Millbrook out of the country, but you can't take the country out of Millbrook. Times have sure changed. I remember when Millbrook Elementary was a county school. My friends and I casually crossed six forks road on our bikes to get to effie green school. Skatetown and SkateRanch were teen hangouts and Julians came later. There used to be a waterslide out on 401 beside the pitch and putt. Le Chataeu(sp) was the hot spot at North Hills mall. Hardbarger was a business school. Little league football was way more popular than soccer. sanderson, millbrook and broughton football games were heavily attended by most families with kids at those schools. broughton played their home games at sanderson in the 70 and 80's. sanderson students attended broughton in the fall of 1968 because the school was not finished on time. imagine the shock when the very first sanderson football team upset BHS that year while they shared a school. I know that I am rambling, but with all of the growth and change in our HOMETOWN, many of us like to remember the old days. It was a great large town to grow up in.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
Quote:
My husband worked at the cheese shop at Crabtree !! He still speaks fondly of the owner.
Yes, a very nice guy named John. I worked in Crabtree for a while and would go there frequently.

Quote:
We also had 6th grade centers from around 74 until 81.
It wasn't quite '74 that they started, because 74-75 was my own 6th-grade year and it was still Elementary then, as well as the next year. I'm pretty sure not the next, either, because my next-door neighbor was two years behind me and I don't think she went to one. Maybe some parts of town started them first, though? I was in North Raleigh (what's now "midtown"). But, I knew a 6th-grader the year of 77-78 who went to one, so they started either that year or the previous one.

Quote:
Does anybody remember when Sam’s restaurant was one of the premier places to eat?
Yes, a friend of mine had her rehearsal dinner there in 1993. The shopping center (someone asked) is Holly Park. They also had a "Sizzler" steakhouse at that same shopping center--remember the sign with the black and purple cows?

Quote:
I remember when Millbrook Elementary was a county school.
I went there when it was a Jr High, before becoming (again) an Elementary. I think it was Elementary until North Ridge opened ('69-'70, I think?) and took those kids, then it went Jr High, then back to Elementary when West Millbrook opened ('76-'77) and they switched us to there. All of these were in the county system. I remember riding the bus out Falls of Neuse to school and seeing "Future sight of North Ridge Shopping Center" in front of a bunch of woods; there was a pasture across from there with horses in it.

The veterinary office that is now across from Millbrook elementary used to be around the back side of Quail Corners (Dr. Jackson)--my dog got hit by a car on Falls of Neuse when I was 8 and we were lucky we were right there by the vet, but it was too late ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary