Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:43 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,591,946 times

Advertisements

Personally I'd buy in Clayton. With kids I'd focus more on neighborhoods with pools as part of the HOA just because it's something the kids will use a lot and enjoy. Plus Clayton will appreciate more than other areas you mention and has good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 AM

514 posts, read 603,530 times
How much land do you want? For some people, they mean 1/3 of an acre. Others mean at least 5 acres. That will certainly make a difference.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:02 AM

514 posts, read 603,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbmx3 View Post
Thank you! We are actually originally from a very rural town in Southwest Virginia. We attended Virginia Tech and moved to Irmo after college. We love that we can have the small town in Irmo and then have Harbison right down the road! It's truly the best of both worlds! But we miss the land we had in Virginia. We currently live in the Ashford subdivision and hate that all of the houses are so close together so that's something we definitely don't want this time around. A 25-30 minute commute is well worth it to us.. Haha

We plan to visit the area with a realtor, I just like to be a little proactive and get an idea of the areas from someone who isn't trying to sell me a house.
We thought we were moving to Roanoke at one point and were under contract to buy a house. I can completely relate to what you all enjoy. I grew up on 5 acres in rural SC and my wife is originally from rural South GA. I understand why those things are attractive to people. It is true that, generally speaking, schools in very rural areas don't always have the best reputations.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,912,092 times
Clayton... easy.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 AM

275 posts, read 331,553 times
Also you should look at places in Wake County like Zebulon and Wendel. There small towns 15 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,109,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Also you should look at places in Wake County like Zebulon and Wendel. There small towns 15 minutes from downtown Raleigh.
Good idea to suggest Wake County. Resale value in the Triangle is very much driven by school ratings. Wake County schools are generally better rated than Johnston County schools.

If you consider only Johnston County, the Clayton schools are better than average, while the Smithfield elementary schools are average, and the Selma schools are poor.

I also agree with the comment that it would be more attractive to kids to live in a neighborhood where they can go to a pool and play with other kids.That's harder to do when you are out in the country.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:59 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
I'm hearing the OP repeatedly saying they loved being in a small town with larger-town conveniences 10 minutes away.

That is the problem with small towns here. They rarely have a larger town/city 10 minutes away. Even Clayton is further than 10 minutes from Raleigh.

If I were the OP, I'd look for distance from the amenities and schools as my main focus.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,928,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbmx3 View Post
Thank you both. We definitely consider getting more land and space as more important just because we plan to expand our family. What about Goldsboro or Selma?
No and No. Stick with Willow Spring or Clayton.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,928,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Why drive from Willow Spring each day for a job in Clayton. Drive through 40/42 area morning and evening. I don't think so. If you work in Clayton, live in Clayton. Easy commute to Raleigh.
For the pure country feel, if that is what one likes. Clayton would be a great choice as well, just not as pure country anymore.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 6,935 times
Thank you all for your replies. We'd prefer not to be in a subdivision if possible. We currently live in a subdivision with a Hoa and it's just not something we are particularly fond of. We went through a ridiculous battle with our Hoa over what type of privacy fence we wanted to put up and I hate to think that I'm paying for a house but someone else can tell me what I can and can't do to it. We will also be moving again in about 6 years so resale is something we have to look out for. Looking on Realtor.com it just seems like the houses in Clayton that are within our price range and have at least a 1/2 acre will require remodeling so we were just trying to look outside of the area but still within about 25 minutes or so of it to houses that are already done.

Are there specific areas to avoid that he will get stuck in traffic commuting to Clayton if we did choose a different area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary