Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 176,360 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at new homes in these areas & was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback - pro's & con's - of Clayton, Garner, FV, & Smithfield. I like these areas because the home prices (new homes) are less than those closer to Raleigh. I'm looking for wooded lots with a little space between homes. Also, out of the 4 towns, which is the closest to Raleigh (from a commuting point-of-view)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
Fuquay Varina is very nice and you can get a lot more for your money there than in overrated and overpriced places like Wake Forest for example.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
You might want to try Flowers Plantation in Clayton. The Comstock homes in North Farms were very nice. I also like Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. Have fun going through all those homes.

Debbie

Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
Try "River Wood" in Clayton also don't forget Knightdale's and Wendell "Wendell Falls" Should be really nice when complete. Don't know much about smithfield, seems a bit more far out than the others. It is a town in it's on right vs. being a exurb like the others.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 AM

52 posts, read 226,391 times
We flew in this past weekend and fell in love with Glen Laurel in Clayton. My husband is a golfer and what a value. However, I am an amenities kind of girl-I like shopping and good restaurants nearby. I think this might be a little far out for me but I thought it was really lovely there.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
We just moved into one of the newest North Farm home in Flowers Plantation (Clayton) few weeks ago. I have to say that it's the best home we've ever had. We love everything. The lot is big and the houses aren't too close together, like Centex Home in Magnolia Village.

The people are friendly and my child made alot of new friends instantly. It is away from busy city/town and we like the "country-feel" of it. Flowers Plantation is growing....they are building more houses, as well as stores, clubhouse, excerise room, etc. It's beautiful here.
You should visit here.

I knew about Garner and Smithfield, but nothing about Fuquay-Varina. For Garner, I go there for my job. Garner is a big town and like Clayton, it's growing too. Garner got tons of stores than Clayton, I have to say. We choose not to live in Garner, because of their poor school performance record.

Smithfield - it's a very old town. There is a small cute downtown and many stores on Bright Leaf - all are old. It's like going back to 1940's. To me, nothing's too exciting there. There aren't that many new homes being built. Not sure why though.

The best thing for you to find out is to go there in person and you'll get your answers. Good luck and happy house hunting!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 82,259 times
You want trees - I suggest Clayton Pointe Phase II...try Falcon Pointe Lane...I think they still have some homes left. Nice wooded lots with space between homes. But the houses are selling fast. You can see the house here:

Moderator cut: removed email addy and broken link

Last edited by da jammer; 01-11-2008 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisads View Post
we flew in this past weekend and fell in love with glen laurel in clayton. My husband is a golfer and what a value. However, i am an amenities kind of girl-i like shopping and good restaurants nearby. I think this might be a little far out for me but i thought it was really lovely there.
just curious - how did you make out. My hb and i were there august 2007 and same scenario - actually he became ill and had to be hospitalized at wake med he is 1 year later recovered and ready to begin research for relo again still love that glen laurel but are also now looking at coastal nc to compare.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Fuquay Varina is very nice and you can get a lot more for your money there than in overrated and overpriced places like Wake Forest for example.
Speak for yourself....Wake Forest wasn't the best option for you...but I'd never want to live in F-V...that doesn't make it a bad place...just too far out for how my family leads it's life.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
For those looking in Clayton, there is shopping not too far. For Glen Laurel lookers, right up 70 for about 15-20 min is White Oak SC in Garner. Target, Michaels, Kohls, Petsmart, Pier 1, Best Buy, movie theatre, eateries and more.

Also, the "back way" as we call it from the E. Clayton area...its also 20 minutes to shopping in Knightdale (New Bern Ave/Knightdale blvd) with Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Barnes & Noble and more.

And there's also the Triangle Town Center in Raleigh, which is a mall with everything one could want all in one place which is about 25-30 minutes from Clayton.

Not to mention, I can get to Smithfield for a variety of stores like Belks or the Outlet Centers in 20 minutes.

Trust me, I'm not hurting for shopping here!

Anyhow, to the OP - Smithfield is the farthest south from Raleigh and would probably be the hardest commute. But that depends on what type of commute you were looking for. Some here wouldn't dream of commuting from Clayton to Raleigh but for us, it was a trade off. We got a home we love on a nice wooded lot and dh commutes 45min to RTP. FV is a nice area, as are most of the towns around here in the Triangle. Garner is the closest to Raleigh. If you have kids you also want to consider the county and school issues.

You really have to visit in person and see which town speaks to you and can offer you what you want.
Lauren

Last edited by lauren4521; 01-22-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: typos I didn't notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary