Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM

40 posts, read 118,930 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have thoughts on the coverage of different cell phone companies in the area? Basically does ATT have good coverage, even in rural areas? What about Verizon? Others to consider for good coverage?

I would like to hear from people that are actually customers of the companies, not what "people have heard" about the companies. That way we can be fair and unbiased. Kinda what media in America should be!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,299 times
Sprint (embarq) covers all those areas well.

the only dead spots I have come across are creedmoor and the lake up near the VA line.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
We have Virgin Mobile which uses the Sprint network. Good service in N. Raleigh and Wake Forest.

Do check Consumer Reports and consumer columnist Clark Howard. Neither of these sources feels Sprint cellular will be a major player for much longer.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,553 times
We have two phones with Verizon Wireless. The only dropped call that I've ever had in the Triangle was inside my office. I've used the phone in downtown Raleigh, North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Chapel Hill, Creedmoor, etc...

We also have a phone through Alltel. It has horrible reception in Raleigh and Durham.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,872 times
We moved from NYC and had ATT. We live in Chapel Hill barely west of Durham and while reception was okay in most public places we barely got a signal on our street and in our house. My husband also said that the coverage was terrible at Duke and that everyone had Verizon. So, we switched to Verizon and well...still not great coverage at home, but seems to work everywhere else. I miss having GSM though.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

381 posts, read 1,326,046 times
After testing all the networks, my firm uses Verizon in the Triangle and US Cellular in more rural areas east of I-95.

I personally like Sprint/Nextel a lot, but the coverage is still not quite as good as Verizon.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleejh View Post
That way we can be fair and unbiased. Kinda what media in America should be!
You made me laugh and spit out my coke! LMBO!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,775 times
Off topic somewhat: I boycotted Sprint some years ago when they laid off my brother-in-law the week before Christmas when his wife was nine months pregnant. They told him it was "random." I feel very strongly about bad business procedure.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Verizon Wireless works great all over the Triangle area; I've yet to find a dead spot. Plus in all the years I've had a cell phone this is the first place where I get excellent reception at home.

As well, Verizon works great all over the country which is huge for me as I travel quite a bit on business.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
We have the new at&t formerly known as Cingular and prior to that is was the old AT&T. Even through all the names churn the coverage is very good. Only dead spots I every get is up near some of the low line areas around Falls Lake off Purnell Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary