Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 AM

168 posts, read 500,495 times

Advertisements

So we are living in Cary, and like the community that we are living, but we are looking for some land. As you can imagine, not too many 10 acre lots floating around Cary.
Our search has led us to Northern Durham and Bahama. My only concern are the school system and conveniences.
The homes that we have seen are covered by Mangum and Little River elementary, Chewning middle and Northern High.
Can someone provide whatever info you might have about the area?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,267 times
I grew up around Bahama. I loved it, but wife was nervous about being so close to Durham. I attended Northern many years ago but heard there is more gang activity there lately. If I was to move in that direction I would go further out toward person county or even Rougemount near the orange county border. If I had to chose I would consider moore county toward Sandford or Pitsboro area. Thses areas are close to Raleigh/ cary and you still can find acreage.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,108,367 times
I'm currently in Raleigh but looking at norhtern Durham now. Some of the homes we're looking at are Little River - Chewing - Northern zoned, and I'm fine with that. They are all fine schools, and Mangum seems to be a good school, too. As for gang activity, I think that's an unfortunate sign of our times, and will likely be found to some degree in any high school in the Triangle. In fact, I attended Broughton HS in Raleigh in the late-80s & early-90s and we had considerable gang activity then. There was even a murder at the State Fair one year that was traced back to a gang at my school. I knew who to avoid at school and never had a problem.

As for Chatham County toward Pittsboro or Sanford, I agree that the land out there is awesome. However, I'd be far more concerned about the Chatham County Schools than those in northern Durham & Bahama.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 AM

38 posts, read 123,915 times
Where are you commuting to? North Orange county may be another good choice. There are many large acre lots north and east of Hillsborough, and you can hop on route 70 to 147 if you're heading into RTP.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,077 times
I have lived in Bahama for 6 years and love it. Mangum is an excellent school and I wouldn't have my son go anywhere else but there. As for middle and high schools - i do have my concerns as well but do not have enough info to be helpful here as my son still has a few years at Mangum. We are currently in the Chewning/Northern district also. As for crime, I would say it is the low on my worry list. As for conveniences, it would depend on where you live in Bahama/Rougemont. For instance, it is easier for me to go to Butner for groceries, gas etc and is only 10 minutes away from my house. It may be easier for others to go to Durham for the same items. Hope this helps!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Well, I am a bit concerned with the schools in Durham after research. I think that I will concentrate on either the CH/Carrboro or Orange school district.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM

38 posts, read 123,915 times
Tbone,
A quick search of the MLS shows over 100 listings for land in Orange County with 10 acres or more. Prices start about $11,000 an acre and rise from there.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,063,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Well, I am a bit concerned with the schools in Durham after research. I think that I will concentrate on either the CH/Carrboro or Orange school district.
Actually, if you spend the time to investigate how the scores break down, you'll see that kids in each demographic tend to test practically the same in all of the school districts in the Triangle.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Mrs Steel,
thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, I did not find that the scores were the same.
I know that in Wake, where all of the schools are integrated across economic lines, scores are significantly higher.
Most of what I have found was that parents in Wake were concerned with being redistricted, but not with the school or performance. That was not the case with what I found in Durham.
I feeling is that if we can find what we are looking for in another district, that is what we will be doing. I did love a property that I saw in Bahama and one in Treyburn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Actually, if you spend the time to investigate how the scores break down, you'll see that kids in each demographic tend to test practically the same in all of the school districts in the Triangle.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,108,367 times
Treyburn is zoned to Little River ES, a school of distinction. They're also getting a new middle school in a couple of years that will possibly end up being the top MS in DPS. With the growth in Durham County, it wouldn't surprise me to see a new HS pop up somewhere in the northern part of the county, too. So even Northern may not be the zoned HS for Treyburn in another 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary