Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,342 times

Advertisements

I just posted this in finance but it looks like it moves slowly. Besides, this is local as it is a house in Bahama and I am sure the laws are different by state anyways. Here is my question:

My boyfriend is going to look at what we assume is a foreclosed house. Looking at the pics it looks like it needs about $40,000-$50,000 worth of work assuming it is structurally sound without water or mold damage. It will be his first house and we have no idea about how the process works as far as the mortgage and borrowing money to fix it up. Do we take out a regular mortgage and they give us a special loan to fix it up? After doing so, do we refinance for the new value of the home with the previous loan rolled into it?

Obviously I have no idea what I am talking about and am completely lost. If he did borrow money it will still be less than what he was approved for on a mortgage. We haven't looked at the house yet or know the details on it. Just trying to get an idea of how things potentially work.

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM

531 posts, read 1,984,226 times
I do believe that if the house is listed on the MLS, then the bank has already bought it back. This means that the sale will proceed like any other sale. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

As a person who has successfully bought (and sold) a couple dumps in her lifetime, I would advise you to pay for an inspection of such a house BEFORE you make an offer. And in fact, the "inspection" should really be more along the lines of having a remodeling contractor come and give you a real honest-to-god estimate of what it will cost to fix. You may be unpleasantly surprised at the sum. And it can be hard to get out of a purchase contract....better to do your due diligence before signing anything! It's always nice to be able to walk away from a house simply because you got cold feet. Especially in a situation like this one.

As for financing, that may be difficult in this environment. You're proposing something with a lot of risk and it sounds like you are not experienced rehabbers....don't know how that would work. Or if.

Last edited by goat1of2; 12-19-2008 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Ok, thanks on the info about getting an inspector along the lines of being more of a remodeling contractor. I didn't know if we could do that before putting an offer on the house. If that is possible that would be a definite. No, we are not experienced, but are very careful. It's in a nice neighborhood and we wouldn't spend more than needed. Assuming it is just the aesthetic things that need to be replaced I think we are fine. Hopefully nothing major would pop up; otherwise it would not be worth it to us (bad foundation, water/mold damage, etc.) Someone also mentioned to me about the FHA financing of borrowing up to $35,000 for repairs and remodels on rehabs.
Thanks goat1of2!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM

I also just wanted to add some of the work we will be doing ourselves to save money. We both grew up very hands on and my bf even helped build his parent's lake house. We also have a friend of his who is in construction who will be helping. We wouldn't be messing with anything structurally. We would also have the flooring put in by professionals. Otherwise, we are not afraid to do most of the work ourselves, yet we would not do anything that would be over our heads. I just hope it is in decent enough shape before I get my hopes up too much!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM

567 posts, read 958,858 times
Are you working with an agent? They can help to answer these questions and guide you through the process.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Are you working with an agent? They can help to answer these questions and guide you through the process.
No, not yet. My bf plans on getting one soon. I think he just wants to get through the holidays and will jump on things in a couple weeks. I have read several threads where I agree agents are needed in most cases, especially being a first time buyer. I guess we need one in this case even though we know exactly which house we want and don't necessarily plan on negotiating?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,686,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I guess we need one in this case even though we know exactly which house we want and don't necessarily plan on negotiating?
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but why would you plan on NOT negotiating?

I'm sure you've done your research on the pros/cons of using an agent, so I won't get on my rant.

However, I will say that if you don't want to bring an agent with you to the table, at the very least, get your own lawyer to review the contracts.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM

43,355 posts, read 77,229,425 times
It is hard to get a conventional mortgage on a home that needs significant repairs. At minimum, the home needs to be habitable.

You might consider an FHA 203k loan, but you need to talk to your lender about the process. The 203k allows funds for repairs.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is hard to get a conventional mortgage on a home that needs significant repairs. At minimum, the home needs to be habitable.

You might consider an FHA 203k loan, but you need to talk to your lender about the process. The 203k allows funds for repairs.
Thanks Mike, we are looking into the FHA loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but why would you plan on NOT negotiating?

I'm sure you've done your research on the pros/cons of using an agent, so I won't get on my rant.

However, I will say that if you don't want to bring an agent with you to the table, at the very least, get your own lawyer to review the contracts.
We would definitely get a lawyer. I have heard a lot of foreclosures won't negotiate. If this isn't the truth then obviously negotiating would be worth it. It is however so cheap to begin with that if they aren't willing to negotiate then it would still be a good deal (assuming there aren't any scary surprises).

And don't worry everyone we are very cautious and wouldn't do anything without doing our homework. That's why I posted on here so I could get as much info as possible from different viewpoints and experiences.

Thanks!

Last edited by DanielleNC; 12-19-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 PM

185 posts, read 687,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Thanks Mike, we are looking into the FHA loan.

We would definitely get a lawyer. I have heard a lot of foreclosures won't negotiate. If this isn't the truth then obviously negotiating would be worth it. It is however so cheap to begin with that if they aren't willing to negotiate then it would still be a good deal (assuming there aren't any scary surprises).

And don't worry everyone we are very cautious and wouldn't do anything without doing our homework. That's why I posted on here so I could get as much info as possible from different viewpoints and experiences.

Thanks!
It is very much a buyer's market. You want to risk a real drastic rehab job and a foreclosure? (sometimes bad surprises).

May I ask why you are willingly giving up your tremendous leverage, given that there are record numbers of unsold houses on the market?

Old radio advice guy Bruce Williams used to say "don't fall in love with something that can't love you back".

If I were you, I would be looking at dozens or more houses hoping the right situation falls in your lap. These days its almost a definite.

Most houses will require some work, why not find the best one in the best neighborhood you can afford (and money talks these days) and save some risk?

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary