Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM

27 posts, read 65,930 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! Hubby & I are planning a move to NC in the coming months, and we're researching housing. I've heard the commute from the Bahama area to the Triangle is about 45 minutes...anybody know if this is accurate? I'm wondering if it's 45 minutes due to mileage, or due to traffic?

Thanks!!!!
Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Bahama is a part of the Triangle since it is in Durham County. If you mean RTP (Research Triangle Park), then yes it can take up to that long b/c of both traffic and distance. That would be the max amount of time though. It's possible to make it in less depending on the exact points you are driving to and from and time of day.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heck View Post
Hi, everyone! Hubby & I are planning a move to NC in the coming months, and we're researching housing. I've heard the commute from the Bahama area to the Triangle is about 45 minutes...anybody know if this is accurate? I'm wondering if it's 45 minutes due to mileage, or due to traffic?

Thanks!!!!
Jamie
What part of the Triangle? Most areas of Durham...yeah...that is probably about average. Raleigh? Not so much.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,109 times
"The Triangle Area" depends on where you're going. If you're en route to RTP, you can probably hit it in 45 minutes, if traffic isn't heavy. But if you're going to RTP, you're probably looking at high-traffic times.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
What part of the Triangle? Most areas of Durham...yeah...that is probably about average. Raleigh? Not so much.
For instance, from Bahama to Briar Creek Shopping Center or Southpoint Mall? Hubby works from home, so we're not so much concerned with commuting to a certain location daily, just trying to make sure we don't end up way outside of civilization. ) Thanks for your help!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 AM

6 posts, read 34,024 times
I live up 501 south of Rougemont...it is 40 minutes for me to drive to RTP if I leave afer 8:30 to avoid most traffic. I drive pretty fast.

I now work from home most days and commute to Cary a few days a month. It takes me 45 - 50 minutes to get to Harrison Ave from here. I like the area, the rural surrounding, and the ability to unwind during the drive home. All wins! Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkywoman View Post
I live up 501 south of Rougemont...it is 40 minutes for me to drive to RTP if I leave afer 8:30 to avoid most traffic. I drive pretty fast.

I now work from home most days and commute to Cary a few days a month. It takes me 45 - 50 minutes to get to Harrison Ave from here. I like the area, the rural surrounding, and the ability to unwind during the drive home. All wins! Good luck.

Thanks, Slinkywoman! The rural surroundings are appealing to me, too. I grew up in an area where our nearest neighbor was a mile away, & we had farm animals & a garden...things that really aren't possible in most subdivisions. We're headed to NC this weekend to scope things out, and it sounds like we'll be checking out that area!

Thanks to everyone who answered my query! I've been lurking for awhile, soaking up all the helpful info...you guys are great!!!!

Jamie

Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
heck,

Bahama and Rougemont are really pretty and quiet. I think you'll really like it. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heck View Post
Thanks, Slinkywoman! The rural surroundings are appealing to me, too. I grew up in an area where our nearest neighbor was a mile away, & we had farm animals & a garden...things that really aren't possible in most subdivisions. We're headed to NC this weekend to scope things out, and it sounds like we'll be checking out that area!

Thanks to everyone who answered my query! I've been lurking for awhile, soaking up all the helpful info...you guys are great!!!!

Jamie

Heck-
I agree with Danielle and SlinkyWoman--- we live in Rougemont and love it. If you can handle roosters 'doodle-doo'ing' in the distance, horses riding by occassionally on the side roads, and acreage, you'd love it up here. Our commute into central Durham from Rougemont is 30, so 40-45 would probably be about right to Brier Creek for instance.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Heck-
I agree with Danielle and SlinkyWoman--- we live in Rougemont and love it. If you can handle roosters 'doodle-doo'ing' in the distance, horses riding by occassionally on the side roads, and acreage, you'd love it up here. Our commute into central Durham from Rougemont is 30, so 40-45 would probably be about right to Brier Creek for instance.
Sounds heavenly...and just what I've been wanting! I know for the majority of shopping needs we'll probably have to go into Raleigh/Durham, but are there grocery stores or general stores in the area, in case we need milk or eggs? Our realtor made it sound like it was a no-man's land...

Jamie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary