Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times

Advertisements

With Falls lake so low and so much land exposed that is normally underwater, I wonder why no one talks about dredging Falls lake to create more capacity when it finally does rain and fill back up. Would this not be the time to do it?

I know there has to be a reason as it sounds to simplistic of a solution. I'm sure the cost is great but how much will it cost be build another Falls Lake and where? How much will it cost to bring water into the area if we start to run out?

Sure seems like a lot of capacity could be added by dredging around the lake to allow for future growth and droughts.

Anybody have any opinions on this or know of specific reason this would not work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
With Falls lake so low and so much land exposed that is normally underwater, I wonder why no one talks about dredging Falls lake to create more capacity when it finally does rain and fill back up. Would this not be the time to do it?

I know there has to be a reason as it sounds to simplistic of a solution. I'm sure the cost is great but how much will it cost be build another Falls Lake and where? How much will it cost to bring water into the area if we start to run out?

Sure seems like a lot of capacity could be added by dredging around the lake to allow for future growth and droughts.

Anybody have any opinions on this or know of specific reason this would not work?
The economic and ecological implications of such an undertaking would be astronomical. Besides, there are already plans for other water sources in the area.

City of Raleigh | New Water Treatment Plant and Reservoir

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
From this article: Army Engineers Manage Lakes, Dams During Drought :: WRAL.com

"Dredging Falls Lake is not a practical short-term solution, Brown. Although the drought has lowered lake levels, getting approval to dredge is a years-long process. A government representative must ask Congress to fund an environmental study, which also usually requires local funds and typically takes five years.

"Dredging would only lower the total water level and not add water to storage. Or, as you might put it more bluntly: If we dug a deeper hole right now, all we'd have would be a deeper hole," the Corps said in a statement. "In the long term, dredging could potentially increase storage.""

Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I truly understand the economic impact of such an undertaking and it only has long term benefits. Short term may actually be negative. Just trying to "dig up" some ideas on increasing our water storage capacity for future droughts. Eventually if we keep damming our rivers up the down stream ramification will also be environmentally disastrous. One only needs to look west at the Colorado river and its basisin to see the harmful downstream effects of taking water out of the upstream water shed.

NRG thanks for article I was not aware of those plans! Good news for the future! :0

Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
I used to work for a company with an office that bordered a canal. One summer, they decided to dredge this canal. The canal was about 50 yards wide and a few hundred yards long. It took them probably 2 months. Then they were left with this mountain of sludge alongside the canal. It then took them an extra month, using a bulldozer, to flatten this sludge pile out and make it look pretty again.

I imagine that the equipment used would be much different - larger scale - but still, this would take months and months.

I'd like to see them just go out and pull up all of the tree stumps that they can find sticking out of the water. This would make it safer for boaters.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM

207 posts, read 1,088,618 times
Quote:

It's going to take a lot of rain to restore Falls Lake to what it was before this drought. Maybe we will luck out and have record setting rain amounts next year but I believe that some of the areas where the water has vacated will never have water in them again (unless they are somehow filled in with water from another source other than mother nature)...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
It's going to take a lot of rain to restore Falls Lake to what it was before this drought. Maybe we will luck out and have record setting rain amounts next year but I believe that some of the areas where the water has vacated will never have water in them again (unless they are somehow filled in with water from another source other than mother nature)...
ALT-X I hope not. I believe the weather is cyclic and the rain will come back one day to the area. Until then we will have to conserve our way through this. Anything, albeit dredging or building more reservoirs will all be for future droughts.

I think once Raleigh goes to the next drought stage consumption should drop off enough to allow our water supply a few more months. Up until they do that its anyones guess.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Last drought we had (2002) it took about 2 months to refill. We got about 5" of rain in a week in late august/early september, which refilled Lake Michie and Little river reservoir. Then we had a big 3.5" rain in October which refilled Falls lake in a day (from 244' to 252'). Things are drier now, but the leaves are off the trees, so there's alot more runoff. If we can get a few decent weeks with a 2-3" of rain, things will start to refill. So it won't take record rainfall to get reservoir levels back, but it will take alot of rainfall to get groundwater/base streamflows back.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:

Here is a great recent article explaining why dredging the lake to increase capacity isn't the obvious solution it might seem to be:

newsobserver.com | Cost high to dredge Falls Lake (http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/drought/story/931993.html - broken link)

Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Man! You are fast NRG! I just read the same article and was ready to post the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary