Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

67 posts, read 218,941 times

Advertisements

I went to the lake yesterday to put the boat in at Creedmore ramp, but was turned away by the park Ranger due to the high water. He mentioned that the lake was still cresting. He mentioned that tomorrow the Army Corps are going to release the water at the Falls Dam. He mentioned it was quite a site to see a roster tail of water shooting from the damn and the Neuse will have several Kayakers playing in the white water. Does anyone know anymore information on this or maybe a site that details the release?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidorelo07 View Post
I went to the lake yesterday to put the boat in at Creedmore ramp, but was turned away by the park Ranger due to the high water. He mentioned that the lake was still cresting. He mentioned that tomorrow the Army Corps are going to release the water at the Falls Dam. He mentioned it was quite a site to see a roster tail of water shooting from the damn and the Neuse will have several Kayakers playing in the white water. Does anyone know anymore information on this or maybe a site that details the release?
I can't find anything online about the release, but here are a few pics I took at the Falls Dam Tailrace area back in 2007. I don't think the release I pictured is of the magnitude the Ranger told you would happen today, but it was still pretty cool to see.

Pictures of Falls Dam Tailrace Area in North Raleigh

The Tailrace area where they release water from the dam is located right next to Paddle Creek located in North Raleigh off Falls of Neuse Road right here. You might want to call the folks at Paddle Creek since they are in the biz they may know exactly when the release is scheduled to take place.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,153,836 times
My guess is that if it is anywhere it is somewhere here:

Falls Lake

or here:

Neuse River Basin--Falls Lake Project

But I haven't had a chance to poke around those sites enough to find it yet ... and I gotta stop surfing for a couple hours....

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,966,055 times
You can find out discharge info each day by calling 846-9332 then pressing 1. Or look here: USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 02087183 NEUSE RIVER NEAR FALLS, NC .

Most likely they'll bump the release up to around 1000 cfs today or tomorrow, and then wait a couple days for the water coming out of crabree creek to go down before they bump it up to 3000 or so. Prime kayaking range is from 1500-4000 cfs.

Bunches of pictures at different levels can be found on this page (click the photos button at top of page):

American Whitewater - NWRI - Neuse Falls Dam

My personal favorite...

American Whitewater - Falls Dam night

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the posts and pictures. I had also contacted the US Army Corps of Engineers at Falls Lake. Please read the note below:

Thanks for your email. There's never a definite timeline for our releases. Right now we're holding a current release of around 100 cfs until things calm down downstream. Smithfield and some of the other downstream communities are quite flooded with the already high Neuse so we can't add to that by releasing a lot of water just yet. We've been told by our hydrologists that we may begin increasing our releases this afternoon, but that could be put off until tomorrow. It all depends upon how quickly the river level downstream falls.

When we do increase flows, we update our voicemail here at the office to reflect our current release. You may call (919) 846-9332 x1 for updated release and lake level data. You may also check this website: To view recent flows and stages in the Neuse River Basin and click "Downstream of Falls - to Smithfield" then look under the "Neuse River Gage Flow" column to see what we are currently releasing. It's updated automatically, but may be several hours behind. If you scroll to the bottom of that page, you'll see today's date and the last recording was taking at 0900 with a reading of 122 cfs

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM

This just in.....

Corps plans to release overflow from Falls Lake :: WRAL.com

Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
Thumbs up Pictures from today!

I stopped by the Falls Dam on my way home from work today. Maybe I didn't catch the release at full force, but here are a few shots from the tailrace area from today.

Falls Dam Tailrace Area (9.9.08)

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,762,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I stopped by the Falls Dam on my way home from work today. Maybe I didn't catch the release at full force, but here are a few shots from the tailrace area from today.
NRG, do you always have your camera with you? Or do have one built into your head.... like a modern day Bionic Man???

Great photos as always! Thanks for sharing, six million dollar man. Of course with inflation you're probably more than six million now.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM

150 posts, read 507,247 times
Ditto- wonderful photo's! I decided that you must always have your camera with you

Thank you NRG!
Christina

Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
NRG, do you always have your camera with you? Or do have one built into your head.... like a modern day Bionic Man???
I think it only makes sense that he has the camera built into his head, and I would say more like a futuristic Bionic Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary