Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that the rainfall at RDU is above normal since Jan. 1st and way above normal since August, Falls Lake level is four feet below normal. I don't understand how the lake can signficantly drop during a period of significant rain. Rainfall since August 2nd is almost 6 inches above normal. I do realize that the rainfall for the past 12 month is down almost 1.5 inches but I don't see how that translates into 4 feet down in the lake level. When I compare all the graphs, it doesn't make sense.
Is the Army Corps of Engineers releasing water on purpose? Anyone know?
Lake Levels -- Normal vs. Actual :: WRAL.com
RDU Rainfall Totals -- Normal vs. Actual :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,299,727 times
My guess is that there has been some significant demand for watering all the lawns that are seeded in September and October.

FWIW, the army corps always has some water leaving the lake - If you didn't let any water out of the lake the Neuse River would dry up and it is important to keep in mind the Neuse serves as a drinking water supply to communities downstream from hear to the coast.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,828,925 times
The summer was hot, and to put it in perspective the water level doesn't reset every 12 months so technically the levels could have been below normal 12 months ago.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The summer was hot, and to put it in perspective the water level doesn't reset every 12 months so technically the levels could have been below normal 12 months ago.
Yeah, but the lake has been dropping in level significantly since July yet the rainfall has increased significantly since August. That's why I can't reconcile the two metrics.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
I've noticed it too. I think much of it is that some of the rains we got just did not fall in the Falls watershed. If you notice Jordan lake is doing better and rain that falls at the Willet where the measurement is taken will drain to Jordan.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,169,260 times
I live within walking distance to Falls Lake. The water levels have struggled all year. Even after periods of long heavy rains, the lake levels continued dropping. It looks more severe now. I'm fairly confident that they are letting more water out of the dam than usual and for longer periods of time. They were supposed to do repair work on the dam last year, but I think that project got delayed. So it's possible that they are draining it for that. But the low levels you are seeing right now do not at all coincide with the rainfall amounts we have had this year....it IS not naturally low. It's common to see the lake rise after a good two days of rain. We had a 3+ day period of solid rain a few months ago and the lake didn't come up at all. I watch it daily...and what we are seeing isn't "naturally occurring".

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I live within walking distance to Falls Lake. The water levels have struggled all year. Even after periods of long heavy rains, the lake levels continued dropping. It looks more severe now. I'm fairly confident that they are letting more water out of the dam than usual and for longer periods of time. They were supposed to do repair work on the dam last year, but I think that project got delayed. So it's possible that they are draining it for that. But the low levels you are seeing right now do not at all coincide with the rainfall amounts we have had this year....it IS not naturally low. It's common to see the lake rise after a good two days of rain. We had a 3+ day period of solid rain a few months ago and the lake didn't come up at all. I watch it daily...and what we are seeing isn't "naturally occurring".
+1 Thanks for the information.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,082,730 times
I agree that the lake level doesn't seem to correlate with our rainfall but it doesn't seem like the outflows are excessive from the chart linked at the bottom.
Puzzling and not very , well, *informative* :-)

Corps of Engineers Falls Lake website:

Falls Lake - Neuse River Basin

Daily lake flows:

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dss180f.txt

Frank

Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,169,260 times
Can the water treatment plant pull excess water and store it in any way?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,299,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've noticed it too. I think much of it is that some of the rains we got just did not fall in the Falls watershed. If you notice Jordan lake is doing better and rain that falls at the Willet where the measurement is taken will drain to Jordan.
I think you are on to something. The Jordan Watershed is much larger than Falls. The Jordan watershed is about 1,700 square miles vs. just 770 square miles in the Falls Watershed. As such the the Jordan watershed drains a much larger land area and gets more rainfall feeding into it. That coupled with the fact that some of the heavier rain storms have occured west of the Falls Watershed seems to be part of the reason why Falls Lake levels are not as high as those that are found in Jordan Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary