Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,971,558 times

Advertisements

The primary tributaries for falls lake are the Eno, Flat and Little rivers (about 70% of the watershed). The Eno is free flowing, while the Little and Flat fill Durham's reservoirs...until those reservoirs are filled only a minimal amount of water flows down to falls.

At any rate, there has been only one significant rainfall that has brought these rivers up in the last 120 days (back in early Sept). Now that the leaves are dropping, there will be alot more runoff for a given amount of rain, but it will take a couple good 3000+ floods on the upstream rivers to get falls filled.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 02085070 ENO RIVER NEAR DURHAM, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,777,974 times
well whatever the reason ( I personally think the Army Corp is pulling way more water and have been since July) the fishing is the worst I've seen since 84'. The fishing started a decline in July and steadily gotten worse. With budget cuts all over the place who knows what is going on (or not going on) at the lake. I just wish they would stop pulling so much water out. It's about at the point where if you don't know the lake really well you better not put your boat in.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM

9,156 posts, read 14,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I've noticed it too. I think much of it is that some of the rains we got just did not fall in the Falls watershed. If you notice Jordan lake is doing better and rain that falls at the Willet where the measurement is taken will drain to Jordan.
I meant to say that rain that falls at the AIRPORT drains into Jordan. I guess that's what I get posting from an airport with an iPhone. Autocorrect is better Than it used to be but still has issues.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Despite the fact that the rainfall at RDU is above normal since Jan. 1st and way above normal since August, Falls Lake level is four feet below normal. I don't understand how the lake can signficantly drop during a period of significant rain. Rainfall since August 2nd is almost 6 inches above normal. I do realize that the rainfall for the past 12 month is down almost 1.5 inches but I don't see how that translates into 4 feet down in the lake level. When I compare all the graphs, it doesn't make sense.
Is the Army Corps of Engineers releasing water on purpose? Anyone know?
Lake Levels -- Normal vs. Actual :: WRAL.com
RDU Rainfall Totals -- Normal vs. Actual :: WRAL.com

RDU is not a good indicator of runoff in the Falls watershed. It's more informative to look at what's happening in the Eno, Flat and Little River watersheds, as toot68 stated. As you can see the flows in those areas have been below average pretty much through the summer into the fall. Rainfall directly on Falls Lake doesn't have a huge impact on water levels unless there is also a significant contribution from the upstream watersheds.

Also, on average the lake is drawn down below the normal/guide elevation at this time of the year.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 AM

351 posts, read 771,441 times
Maybe....

They're going to dredge the lake to create an adequate water supply to support the growth in the area.

And then they'll lift the water restrictions.

And then people will be able to use more water.

And then the City of Raleigh will rollback that rate increase that was "necessary" because we all did such a great job conserving water.

Ooops, the dog barked and woke me up. I was dreaming.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,329,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
Maybe....

They're going to dredge the lake to create an adequate water supply to support the growth in the area.

And then they'll lift the water restrictions.

And then people will be able to use more water.

And then the City of Raleigh will rollback that rate increase that was "necessary" because we all did such a great job conserving water.

Ooops, the dog barked and woke me up. I was dreaming.
If you can't handle the modest increase in the fee you pay for water (which is still very cheap and doesn't reflect the true cost to deliver safe potable water to your tap) then I would love to see your reaction to the price tag for "dredging the lake".

In my experience few people grasp the enormity of such a dredging project and the untold millions of $$ it would cost. Also, if you have suggestions on where to stage the millions of tons of sediment that would be collected as a result I'm sure the city of Raleigh will welcome your input.

All the best,

Reality

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,837,754 times
Looks like rain north and west of town was in the 1-2" range over the past day. Perhaps we will see some increases soon?
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with the Falls Lake-rain-11-4-11.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary