Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times

Advertisements

Hi there

Does anyone have any tips for where we could go and look at nice communities/areas which are within a short drive of Durham Academy? I really liked Chapel Hill when we were there a few days ago but didn't see many residential parts. Does anyone know where we should go and look at nice roads/areas/communities? Also google maps tells me that from Chapel Hill to Durham academy is a 12 minute drive. Is that realistic at peak times when I would be taking children to school?

Thanks for your expertise and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
By "communities", I assume you mean neighborhoods? There is no real between Durham and Chapel Hill. They abut each other. Neighborhoods in eastern Chapel Hill include Colony Woods, Meadowmont, Falconbridge. There are some nice neighborhoods off Weaver Dairy Rd in Chapel Hill and Erwin Rd, too. I think Lochn'ora is one in Durham off Old Erwin Rd.

As for the 12 minutes, that depends entirely on where you live in Chapel Hill. It might be accurate. It might be more. It could even be less if you're right on the border of Chapel Hill and Durham.

It's likely that if you live in Chapel Hill the potential friends in your neighborhood would go to Chapel Hill schools. The excellent public schools are a big selling point for families relocating to the area, especially for families with gifted children. If you're set on private school, you'll more likely save money living in Durham.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
If you're going with Durham Academy, then Hillsborough is worth consideration. There is also a lot of unincorporated land between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough that could work well. You'll have easy access to I-85, and possibly 15-501. You would still be close enough to enjoy all of the cultural activities in Chapel Hill, but avoid paying the higher tax rate for the city schools. There is a small community off Millhouse Rd that might work (look for Blackwood Mountain Rd).

The neighborhoods along Erwin Rd and Mt Moriah Rd are the closest to Durham Academy.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 AM

Thanks PoppyDog - why are CH schools good for gifted children? What would you say are the best public schools for elementary and middle school that parents really want to send their children to in that area?

Mpheels - thank you - We will go and investigate there later today.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
There are some nice areas north of I-40 along Whitfield Road. While outside town limits, I believe some of those areas may still be in the CHCCS school district.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
there are lots of really nice houses right around Durham Academy. Off Ridge Road, Randolph, Pickett, Erwin, and all over that area. Of course, I guess this really depends on your definition of "nice." It would really help if you gave some details on what type of house you are looking for.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Sorry but I don't know what we are looking for yet. We are British and everything seems so different. I think we'd like a new house

Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Sorry but I don't know what we are looking for yet. We are British and everything seems so different. I think we'd like a new house
I'm sure people could direct you to the right communities if they had some idea how much you want to spend and what size house you'd like.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
CHCCS has a high percentage of gifted kids (something like 30% of kids score above the 95% aptitude required for placement in the gifted programs). There are at least 4 levels of gifted programming in CHCCS including LEAP which is a self-contained program for kids performing 2 or more years above grade level with a score of 99% or better on assessments. Public school is bigger, but there is greater diversity both in student body as well as course offerings. You can read more about gifted education in Chapel Hill Carrboro schools here: http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/res_view_...serGroupType=G .

DA is a highly regarded private school, too.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM

109 posts, read 169,239 times
Especially if your time is limited, I'd seek out a realtor who works a lot in CH and Durham. I can't quite tell if you are seeking out more of an uppercrust (for the Triangle anyway) lifestyle, or just really safe options since you completely new to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary