Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,774,344 times

Advertisements

Very simple.

- they can afford you, or they wouldn't have spent the time interviewing you
- depending on the size and viability of this company, they could either be negotiating, or trying to build a case to get you what you want. If the hiring manager wants you, and you are clearly better than the other candidates, they will, in conjunction with the recruiter (if internal) get additional budget to hire you
- the fact that all of this is happening would make me question how strong of a company/culture you're getting into...if that sort of thing matters to you

Be honest with them (I would not settle for lateral $, esp for a social media role unless there is clear growth ahead, but don't know your situation) and if it's meant to be it'll happen. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,429,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Very simple.

- they can afford you, or they wouldn't have spent the time interviewing you
- depending on the size and viability of this company, they could either be negotiating, or trying to build a case to get you what you want. If the hiring manager wants you, and you are clearly better than the other candidates, they will, in conjunction with the recruiter (if internal) get additional budget to hire you
- the fact that all of this is happening would make me question how strong of a company/culture you're getting into...if that sort of thing matters to you

Be honest with them (I would not settle for lateral $, esp for a social media role unless there is clear growth ahead, but don't know your situation) and if it's meant to be it'll happen. Good luck!

It sounds like the recruiter here is external.

Soo... it's possible that the company isn't willing to pay that much, don't you think?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,702,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
She stated that they had only budgeted for a salary range of 30-35k, which is about 10K less than I currently make. When she asked my thoughts I said "no way". I mean, really? 10K than what I make now?!
Sometimes they are collecting salary info because they don't know what it should be and will set it based on the answers they get, typically an outside recruiter trick.

A really devious recruiter will low ball that rate to get a more unqualified candidate through for a "bargain."

Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,329,172 times
There are some great posts up here. A few things I would suggest:

-Remember that when they want you and don't yet have you is when you have the most leverage. After you're there, you'll most likely be settling for some piddly COL increases and paltry "bonuses" that barely keep up with inflation. Astute execs negotiate their golden parachutes and remuneration prior to onboarding.

-HR conducts the negotiations in order to eliminate the possibility of enmity between hiring manager and new employee. This is also the reason they also conduct conflict resolution, reprimanding of employees, and layoffs. The point is, don't be hesitate to switch gears to hardball if need be with HR negotiations. They do this all the time.

-Some posters regarding these practices as sleazy. I would regret to say that in this "new normal" gone is the concept of professional courtesy. I have seen layoffs conducted in a manner similiar to the famous scene in the movie Sophie's choice!! Practices that were before considered sleazy or even unconscionable are now routinely practiced to save money even by "reputable" companies..

-Lastly, be sure to account for cost of living. I believe Charlotte is more expensive than Garner? Even a lateral move is a pay cut.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM

9,784 posts, read 15,867,312 times
Another option is to negotiate benefits. Remember even if the salary is the same, it is not a lateral move if the benefits are less. So if you have to wait 1 year to be in their 401k but are already in it where you work now or if you are going from 3 weeks vacation to 2, then you are taking a step down. Ask for immediate vesting or no wait to contribute to 401k or have them pay for health insurance or for an extra week vacation. If they cannot do that for you, then you are worse off. Moves cost a lot of money, so unless this job has huge advancement potential or you really want to be in Charlotte for some reason, I wouldn't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary