Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM

20 posts, read 35,859 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting our first house together in Morrisville. We're foodies so we love to try a whole bunch of different foods and restaurants from time to time. Let's make this topic easy and fun. Here's the format.

Post your favorite restaurants of each type of cuisine and flavor for the nearby area of Morrisville.

1. Best Chinese/Asian cuisine.
2. Best Mediterranean cuisine.
3. Best Mexican cuisine.
4. Best Pizza/Italian cuisine.
5. Best Sandwich/Soup restaurant.
6. Best Indian cuisine.

And finally...

7. Best restaurant hands down.

LET THE RACES BEGIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 AM

300 posts, read 975,588 times
1) Taipei Cafe
2) Neomonde Bakery and Cafe
3) Salsa Fresh
4) Randy's Pizza
5) Pepper's Market
6) Saffron
7) Neomonde

Old 01-12-2014, 06:15 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,628,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
1) Taipei Cafe
2) Neomonde Bakery and Cafe
3) Salsa Fresh
4) Randy's Pizza
5) Pepper's Market
6) Saffron
7) Neomonde
I just read a recent review on urbanspoon about Saffron, didnt sound good. My husband is English and he asked me to find a good indian restaurant for when we move. I know I wont find one as good as we had in the UK but hope to find something better than we have locally here in FL.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,775,330 times
Huge foodie and have experienced cuisine around the world. My take:

CT Wok or 35 Chinese - both great

Doesn't really exist. Best we have is Neomonde, Bosphorous, Sitti, and Taverna Agora. All good but not great, relatively speaking. Many try here, most fail at delivering, hard to get authentic flavorful creative mediterannean.

3. Best Mexican cuisine.
Nanataco. Taqueria del sol.

Bella Monica is good Italian. So is Cafe Luna downtown. Pizza, depends what you like. I prefer NY pizza, and best for that around here is Brooklyn Boys and Camos bros (they just changed the name). Dorrys in Cary also has great pizza.

Serendipity, Peppers. Another vote for Dorrys here. For cheesesteaks, Anvils.

6. Best Indian cuisine.
Dawat, Saffron. None as good as UK. No real upscale Indian here, mostly the standard lunch buffets and creamy tikka masala type stuff.

Very hard to say, but a few favorites are Saint Jacques, Oakleaf, Station, Little Hen, and Nana's.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 AM

51,744 posts, read 26,072,857 times
If you are foodies, you may want to look for a home on the Durham end of town.

Bosphorous, LaFarm Bakery, and Lucky 32 in Cary are darn decent. And, of course, do not miss Big Ed's City Market in Raleigh for an old time southern experience. For everything else, it's off do Durham for us. Not only terrific food trucks, but:

Saladia
Pizzaria Tora
Pompiera Pizza
Gullglhupf Cafe
Foster's Market
Parker and Otis
Vin Rouge
Tonali
Elmo's Diner

Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM

11,250 posts, read 8,380,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post

CT Wok or 35 Chinese - both great Agreed

Doesn't really exist. Best we have is Neomonde, Bosphorous, Sitti, and Taverna Agora. All good but not great, relatively speaking. Many try here, most fail at delivering, hard to get authentic flavorful creative mediterannean. Agreed, except I think Sitti is great. Bosphorus is very good. Neomonde is also very good, but over-rated IMO. Their market is awesome.

3. Best Mexican cuisine.
Nanataco. Taqueria del sol. Oh man, drive to Durham and go to Super Taquaria or better yet, Los Comales. YUMM. In Cary, Taquaria Rio Grande is pretty good, it's in Maynard Crossings. More on that below.

Bella Monica is good Italian. So is Cafe Luna downtown. Pizza, depends what you like. I prefer NY pizza, and best for that around here is Brooklyn Boys and Camos bros (they just changed the name). Dorrys in Cary also has great pizza. Nothing to add here, other than to give a plug to Randy's on Miami. 2 slices at lunch.

Serendipity, Peppers. Another vote for Dorrys here. For cheesesteaks, Anvils. Anvils is great. Also, try the Rockford on Glennwood South, and many, many, many other places.

6. Best Indian cuisine.
Dawat, Saffron. None as good as UK. No real upscale Indian here, mostly the standard lunch buffets and creamy tikka masala type stuff. My favorite buffet "right now" is probably Paradise in Morrisville, specifically for their Byriani. I also like Spice and Curry in RTP. Lots of places, mostly Morrisville and RTP are heavily populated by Indians. Maybe not London, but pretty dang good by US standards. Also, for veg cuisine, try the Sri Krishna something-something place on 54 near 540. Very good. Note that the Indian Buffets seem to fluctuate as to who is good and who is not, so make sure to read CURRENT reviews when looking at where to go.

Very hard to say, but a few favorites are Saint Jacques, Oakleaf, Station, Little Hen, and Nana's.
This one is so accurate that it's just easier to add my comments. See above in bold.

Also, for Morrisville, check out the little shopping center on Morrisville Carpenter Road, just north of Davis. CT Wok is good Chinese and Thai. There is a new Vietnamese place there that replaces an awesome African place (Mawas: Research it and weap...) that did not make it, there is a good Mexican place there, and Tower Indian is regarded as one of the better veg Indian places, although recent reviews are not that great.

Then go to Maynard Crossing, at Maynard and Chapel Hill Road. A few highlights:
SuperWok
Little Tokyo Sushi
Byriani House
Chefs of India (now more focused on some kind of Latin Grilled Chicken, so I don't know)
Many other places.

Check out Mami Noras in Raleigh. Good Peruvian Chicken. YUM
Check out Bida Manda in Raleigh. Laotian.
Check out many many other places in Raleigh

Then go to Durham:
Mateo Tapas
Pizzaria Toro
Bull McCabes (best Irish Pub IMO)
Full Steam Brewery
Geer Street Garden
The Federal (YUM)
and many many many more....

ALso, if you're a foodie, you probably like beer, and food trucks. I'm getting tired of typing (sorry, I think I just drooled on my keyboard), but check out many breweries, many with food trucks. My favs are Crank Arm, Raleigh Brewing and Big Boss. Also like Lonerider, Full Steam, and totally stoked about Fortnight opening in Cary any day now.

Well, that should keep you busy for a while.

Oh yeah, Doherty's Irish Pub is good stuff too.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 AM

22,765 posts, read 37,074,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I just read a recent review on urbanspoon about Saffron, didnt sound good. My husband is English and he asked me to find a good indian restaurant for when we move. I know I wont find one as good as we had in the UK but hope to find something better than we have locally here in FL.
I work with several Indian ladies and they tell me there is no good Indian food here....which is kind of odd given the size of the Indian population here but that's what they say. And all of them cook a LOT at home.

I'm surprised at the votes for Anvil's - nothing even remotely special about their cheesesteaks. Maybe we hit them on a bad day but I wouldn't go there again even if I were in the area.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,628,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I work with several Indian ladies and they tell me there is no good Indian food here....which is kind of odd given the size of the Indian population here but that's what they say. And all of them cook a LOT at home.

I'm surprised at the votes for Anvil's - nothing even remotely special about their cheesesteaks. Maybe we hit them on a bad day but I wouldn't go there again even if I were in the area.
I usually make it at home but my husband has to bring some of the items back from the UK. Maybe there will be some Indian stores there I can buy things from.
We don't do buffets of any kind so my husband usually avoids any Indian places that have a buffet set up.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,775,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and their tastes, but I am a self proclaimed cheesesteak expert, have lived in Philly and eaten at all the big names and countless corner shops....Anvils is hands down the best cheesesteak in the area, by far. The bread, the meat, the cheese....nothing comes close here in the triangle. Now there may be a decent "steak sandwich" somewhere, but in terms of the closest thing to a good "cheesesteak" in the area, I'm shocked anyone can think Anvil's ISN'T the best option.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,374,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post

6. Best Indian cuisine.
Dawat, Saffron. None as good as UK. No real upscale Indian here, mostly the standard lunch buffets and creamy tikka masala type stuff.
If you haven't tried these Indian places already I would put them on your list to check out:

Raaga Raaga

Curry Blossom Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe

Garland Garland Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary