Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I work with several Indian ladies and they tell me there is no good Indian food here....which is kind of odd given the size of the Indian population here but that's what they say. And all of them cook a LOT at home.

I'm surprised at the votes for Anvil's - nothing even remotely special about their cheesesteaks. Maybe we hit them on a bad day but I wouldn't go there again even if I were in the area.
My husband is Indian and he loves the Indian food around here, as do all of our Indian friends, especially the places around Chatham square. Saffron is just OK, I think westerners like it because it's more upscale decor. Mantra in downtown Raleigh is good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Make a trip over to West Franklin St in Chapel Hill for Indian. We love, love, love Vimala's (nobody calls it Curry Blossom, although that is the name). The focus is on locally-sourced ingredients and community. It's a suggested-price place and if a person can't afford to pay Vimala will let them eat anyway. For a more upscale South Indian experience I have heard very good things about Cholanad (Cholanad Restaurant & Bar) although I have not been there. I have some friends that spend a lot of time in India and they go regularly. Mint is also another upscale Indian place on West Franklin and to round it out Guru Indian is more of a buffet place. These are all w/in the same 2.5 blocks on West Franklin St.

While you're on West Franklin you can go to Med Deli for mediterranean.

And hit Sandwhich or Neal's Deli (although I strayed into Carrboro for that one) for soup and sammies.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
^ Who you callin' "nobody"!?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM

84 posts, read 160,024 times
Most of the restaurants we love don't fit into those categories, but for "best restaurant hands down" I'd go with Buku in Raleigh with Oakleaf in Pittsboro a VERY close second.

Buku... international "street food," a great place to order a ton of small plates, never disappointed with anything I've tried, fun contemporary atmosphere.

Oakleaf... classic American cuisine, focus on locally-sourced & organic ingredients, this place manages to infuse everything, even basic salads, with amazing flavor, desserts are impeccable.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and their tastes, but I am a self proclaimed cheesesteak expert, have lived in Philly and eaten at all the big names and countless corner shops....Anvils is hands down the best cheesesteak in the area, by far. The bread, the meat, the cheese....nothing comes close here in the triangle. Now there may be a decent "steak sandwich" somewhere, but in terms of the closest thing to a good "cheesesteak" in the area, I'm shocked anyone can think Anvil's ISN'T the best option.
+1, and I'm a Philly guy. I found out about Anvil's through other Philly people I know in the area. For me, everything starts off with having the right bread, and they nail it for me.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,824 times
For Mediterranean food, I've been to Neomonde a few times and never really liked it that much. I like Med Deli much more, and it's the one place that never lets me down.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
Now I want a philly cheese steak!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
1) Taipei Cafe
2) Neomonde Bakery and Cafe
3) Salsa Fresh
4) Randy's Pizza
5) Pepper's Market
6) Saffron
7) Neomonde
Neomonde? I find them average. I came from an area of highest population of middle eastern people outside of the middle east and have had a lot of great food. I find Aladdins to be MUCH better than Neomonde. I was really surprised to find out that it was a chain, because it is very rare for chains to make great food. Aladdins is one of the best middle eastern food I've ever had, even compared to where I used to live. I just wish they would do a tabouli, hummus, and baba ganoush sampler plate instead of having to spend $6 on each one.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Another great food thread.

So...where's the next meetup?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
C and T is a MUST. Try some of the Thai dishes don't just stick to the regular take out stuff you can find anywhere - you will not be disappointed.

Pizza - it depends on the type you like. Randys is good if you want NY style. If you want wood fired visit Pizzaria Toro in Durham. The ingredients are top notch and the appetizers are also excellent.

You did not ask for BBQ but since you will be in Morrisville I would say to visit Smokey's BBQ Shack! The meats are great and the signs on the wall will keep you laughing while you order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary