Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm2778 View Post
I guess I'd be more comfortable if I could customer reviews from ForeverHome for similar homes, but not sure they've actually built this type of home before.
I purchased with FH in 2011, although my neighborhood is not in the price range of the one you are discussing. Personally, I would not purchase with FH again. I still love my home, but over the past few years we've found more and more things that point to short cuts that they took when building. We don't know yet if the things will cause issues long term, or not. Overall, we do have two significant issues that continue to cause problems...they do continue to send out someone to "fix" it...but obviously, they are not fixing it. They only put a bandaid on the issue. I am tired of having to deal with it, and frankly, one of the sub-contractors they send out to "fix" one of the issues leaves a lot to be desired. We've accepted that the next time the issue arises, we will search on our own and hire someone to re-do the whole thing, hopefully fixing it for good.

I feel that FH overall is having some issues - maybe growing pains - as a company. The past year + in our neighborhood has had a tremendous amount of turnover (with their on-site reps). My first year and a half, we had the same two on-site reps. Homeowners knew who to contact for warrenty issues and walk-throughs, and they were prompt and professional. The last two years, I think they have had 5+ reps who have been here between 2 weeks - 8 months and then vanish.

Maybe they pay better attention to the details when someone is spending $500K, but I don't know that I'd take that chance again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
I purchased with FH in 2011, although my neighborhood is not in the price range of the one you are discussing. Personally, I would not purchase with FH again. I still love my home, but over the past few years we've found more and more things that point to short cuts that they took when building. We don't know yet if the things will cause issues long term, or not. Overall, we do have two significant issues that continue to cause problems...they do continue to send out someone to "fix" it...but obviously, they are not fixing it. They only put a bandaid on the issue. I am tired of having to deal with it, and frankly, one of the sub-contractors they send out to "fix" one of the issues leaves a lot to be desired. We've accepted that the next time the issue arises, we will search on our own and hire someone to re-do the whole thing, hopefully fixing it for good.

I feel that FH overall is having some issues - maybe growing pains - as a company. The past year + in our neighborhood has had a tremendous amount of turnover (with their on-site reps). My first year and a half, we had the same two on-site reps. Homeowners knew who to contact for warrenty issues and walk-throughs, and they were prompt and professional. The last two years, I think they have had 5+ reps who have been here between 2 weeks - 8 months and then vanish.

Maybe they pay better attention to the details when someone is spending $500K, but I don't know that I'd take that chance again.

I wish I could remember which of our C-D realtors were mentioning the tour they did of the ForeverHomes model over at Toscana, was it?

I don't recall that realtor being particularly impressed, by the way.

If I was buying at Hamptons at Umstead, I'd buy in the custom section, even if the available lots weren't exactly the best lots. I think that section will age better and the values will be more likely to hold as a result.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 AM

528 posts, read 935,103 times
We seriously looked at the Hamptons of Umstead but by the time we got serious, most of the Phase 1 lots we liked were taken. We looked at the 2nd phase by ForeverHome but were disappointed w/ the quality. To us, there was no comparison to Phase 1. The model looks nice but when you walk thru the specs you can see how poor the finishes are. Also, many of the lots in Phase 2 are problematic and the phase is cut off from Pool/ClubHouse (you have to drive or else walk along busy Ebenezer Church Rd) yet the HOA fees are the same as Phase 1....$150/mo. I could never see paying the same money as in Phase 1, or even more, for ForeverHome product. It's a pity they didn't continue with the same builders in Phase 2.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If I was buying at Hamptons at Umstead, I'd buy in the custom section, even if the available lots weren't exactly the best lots. I think that section will age better and the values will be more likely to hold as a result.
I agree. I question how well the lesser quality finishes will stand the test of time. I'm surprised how many new homes I walk through these days that have significant scratches, dings and obvious touch ups on materials that haven't even been lived on yet. You'd think for a half million dollars or more, you could get something better. And in the case of Ph 2 at Umstead, I don't think the land cost was all that much.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm2778 View Post
Thanks BoBromhal. I spent 3 years in Cary Park and then moved overseas, but just came back to Raleigh for the 1st time since 2008 and really fell in love with the location of the Hamptons at Umstead, especially since I'm an avid mountain biker. I have yet to see that sort of lot size available to build in a subdivision (my preference) that is so close to the airport, RTP, and downtown , and prefer the wooded landscape to that of what I had in Western Cary. I'm relatively comfortable with ForeverHome so far as I've spoken to them to get floor plans, elevations, look at lots, etc. Seem that they took the knowledge/experience they had at Pulte and are trying to offer a better quality product and experience, and this may be the first test in trying to compete with our semi-custom builders. Starting prices though are not cheap and up there in comparison to the other local custom builders that most people in this forum recommend. I guess I'd be more comfortable if I could customer reviews from ForeverHome for similar homes, but not sure they've actually built this type of home before.

You'd love our neighborhood. It's not new and you couldn't build here, but we back up to Lake Crabtree and Black Creek Greenway... can bike right into Umstead from here. Also very close to airport, downtown, AND RTP.

We don't really even have any resales... well, we do... but, I dunno... you can DM me if you want to know more. It's not my house... I don't even know the neighbor that's selling it.

You are correct in that it's tough to find one that backs to Umstead, is custom, isn't full of homes that are at or near the 1mil plus mark, AND is near airport, downtown, and RTP.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 AM

18 posts, read 64,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
We seriously looked at the Hamptons of Umstead but by the time we got serious, most of the Phase 1 lots we liked were taken. We looked at the 2nd phase by ForeverHome but were disappointed w/ the quality. To us, there was no comparison to Phase 1. The model looks nice but when you walk thru the specs you can see how poor the finishes are. Also, many of the lots in Phase 2 are problematic and the phase is cut off from Pool/ClubHouse (you have to drive or else walk along busy Ebenezer Church Rd) yet the HOA fees are the same as Phase 1....$150/mo. I could never see paying the same money as in Phase 1, or even more, for ForeverHome product. It's a pity they didn't continue with the same builders in Phase 2.
Can you please explain what you mean by the lots being "problematic"?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
severe terrain and lack of trees?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Yes, severe terrain (significant sloping or dropoffs, which may not be an issue if you want to build a basement home) or lots that back up the quarry.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 AM

18 posts, read 64,616 times
We are looking for a basement as I had a finished 3rd attic before and found it very energy inefficient and not easily accessible off the main floor like a basement. I am very concerned on this however as when I built the last time the lot looked very flat from the start, then when finished with the sealed crawlspace I had a massive drop off and slope and had to get a retaining wall/fence built out. Is there anyway to get a projected slope from the builder ahead of time to get an idea?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
We live in a 2800 sq ft ForeverHome in Durham that we are renting. The house is only a year old and the homeowner has dealt with many small issues, but customer service has been good.

However, many floorboards upstairs and downstairs and already creaking and squeaking and the house it only 1 year old. The white trim and moldings are not smooth and have numerous nicks and dents. If you walk through our rental house, it may sound like a 10 or more year old house.

We will be looking at Tract homes to buy in a few years, but we like Drees and Ashton Woods. Maybe Baker Residential but they are priced higher I think? Hopefully their quality is good. I would hope ForeverHome would pay a little more attention on their bigger and more expensive house plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary