Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 17,158 times

Advertisements

We're browsing instantly job websites and everywhere in job descriptions we're noticing requirements like 'excellent verbal communications skills, teamplayer' and so on. Even frozen food clerk must have great communications skills. For me and my wife not so long ago moved to Triangle area from Russia it is kind of barrier, you know. We work hard to improve our English and we studied at ESL classes but our communications skills as you understand are not perfect yet. My wife has two volunteering jobs which definitely should help but does anybody have any ideas about pay jobs that talkative communications skills are not so crucial?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
I think you should be OK. Employers might want to avoid those who speak very little to no English. Up here in New Jersey I run into a lot of people who speak next to no English but are fluent in Spanish. It is headed that way in NC. Not speaking English as a first language doesn't make you a bad person but it is very difficult to converse with someone who doesn't speak the langua. This might just be an employers way to state that in a PC kind of way.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post
My wife has two volunteering jobs which definitely should help but does anybody have any ideas about pay jobs that talkative communications skills are not so crucial?
If you can read English, data entry jobs and running a copier in a copy-shop. Anything behind the front desk, like working in a dry-cleaning plant, car-wash, stock room, etc. Cooking in the fast food places.

However, I suggest looking for a job where you can advance to a better position when your English skills improve. For example, at a hotel where you start at a low-paid job but have the opportunity to become a desk clerk.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
For me and my wife not so long ago moved to Triangle area from Russia it is kind of barrier, you know.
Well if you can read and speak English anywhere near as well as you have communicated here in your post then you should be fine. Don't limit your job search to local jobs only and perhaps focus on finding companies nationwide where your ability to speak both Russian and English will be an asset...such as a translator or working for a company with clients in Russia, but would still allow you to be based here in the Triangle and work remotely which is very popular these days especially for companies with a global economy client focus.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,704 times
There are hospitals that are looking for bilingual translators to explain to people in their native language tests, forms, etc. If you can read and understand English, but don't speak quite as well, you can try this. They usually have a class to go to for the procedure.

Also, make sure at home you really immerse yourself in English as well. I know a lot of people that go to the ESL classes but are almost no better off than when they started because of limited English exposure.

Hope you both have degrees or other job skills

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Communication is more than language skills. Employers also want workers who can interact with others well, and who are willing to impart useful information and to develop some sort of bond with the others by virtue of what they say and do to build a good team.

This is easier if all are fluent in the same language, but can be achieved with patience and a positive attitude. Meanwhile, continue to develop your skills in English.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Thanks all for your answers!
As to our initial occupations - I am graphic/web designer and illustrator and I have part-time hourly telecommuting web-design job but it is so unstable so I decided to find some 'real' day-time job even it can be outside my professional area, even in Petsmart. I am trying hard to make some freelancing work as illustrator but it is also tough sometimes. My wife is a professional doctor immunologist but as you understand her russian Diploma doesn't work here but she started to learn 'Medical Coding' course in community college to became certified medical coder. We think her medical background should help though her English is worse than mine.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
.....My wife is a professional doctor immunologist but as you understand her russian Diploma doesn't work here but she started to learn 'Medical Coding' course in community college to became certified medical coder. We think her medical background should help though her English is worse than mine.
Practicing Medicine in the US

Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link! We've read about that - the whole process is so long and hard.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
You should apply for those jobs anyway - let the employer decide if you're a good fit when they meet you. Don't take yourself out of the running before you even apply.

When you speak English, try to get the accent right as much as possible. That is the key to people being able to understand you. When I took Spanish in college I had a teacher who made us read passages in Spanish and our accent had to be perfect to pass. There are letters that are pronounced different in each language, pay attention to that, it will go a long way toward making you an attractive candidate. As someone noted, your written skills are very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary