Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,499,896 times

Advertisements

I encountered an employee at Home Depot with a very strong Russian accent. This was earlier this year. I remembered it because my grandmother was Russian and the accent was very nostalgic for me. You might try Home Depot. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM

10,731 posts, read 22,925,251 times
There is a Berlitz Language School in Raleigh who may need (part-time) Russian teachers. That's not helping your situation, but it would be a case where your native language would be an asset, since they only use native speakers to teach their classes (I used to teach ESL there). And you might be able to trade out Russian classes for ESL (off the books) with an English teacher interested in learning Russian.

Watch a lot of TV (not sit-coms or reality shows--try news or nonfiction shows), get used to hearing the language and pay attention to the accent. I was a Linguistics major in college (with 2 years of Russian), and I know that one of the most "noticeable" things in Russians speaking English is the tendency to omit articles, since of course Russian doesn't have them. Do a lot of reading of newspapers, etc and reading aloud. Ask English-speaking friends or coworkers to correct you and study the things they correct. It's like learning any language, but living in the country where it is spoken is a big advantage.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM

13 posts, read 17,238 times
Thanks Francois! I even applied at Berlitz Language School but they currently don't have open positions in Raleigh.

I am also trying to expand my freelancing opportunities as a cartoon-style illustrator through my portfolio website Toonstyle.com – Funny Cartoon Style Vector Images

But I guess it might take long time to attract decent amount of clients...

Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,560,140 times
I wonder if your wife could also volunteer at the Urban Ministries clinic? They provide free/low cost healthcare in durham and raleigh (separate organizations). With her medical degree, she might be very useful and it may help her language skills.

For that matter, with useful medical skills, I would encourage her to apply at any of the local hospitals -- Wakemed, Duke, UNC system -- etc. Great place to work and they may put part of her skills to work. I am sure she could draw blood, perhaps even work in the lab(s).

Also, medical schools? Duke and UNC and ECU have great medical schools -- have you looked at the job postings there? Working with residents may not pay a lot but it may be rewarding for her and wouldn't waste her fab schooling.

Good luck to the two of you. and welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary