Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,077,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
There's been enough kids killed by buses in this state -- one is too many -- that stopping for 2 or 3 minutes is a 'better safe than sorry' bet in my book.

Plus = isn't a lot of Duraleigh just a four lane road w/no turning lanes? In which case, according to #3 above you should be stopping.
I agree with you, but I think you mean kids killed by cars. Where are these reports of kids killed trying to board the bus and/or cross the street for the school bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 AM

162 posts, read 292,240 times
yes I meant children killed by cars while getting on/off school buses

Old 09-18-2013, 04:39 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I agree with you, but I think you mean kids killed by cars. Where are these reports of kids killed trying to board the bus and/or cross the street for the school bus?
There was a kid killed last year right in front of his house, he was crossing from his house to his bus stop and a car coming in the opposite direction hit him.

Unfortunately in many of these cases, the law isn't going to stop bad drivers. In the above case, the driver was required to stop because it was only a two lane road - and didn't .

There seems to be very little public awareness of school bus safety in general around here. A little public service campaign might be in order. In our neighborhood we routinely have buses that back from one street into another to turn around; Cary P.D. tells us this is illegal, so why are routes designed this way? Common sense should tell you that when kids have exited a bus, backing up is probably not the best maneuver anyway. And yet, it persists as a common way of doing business here.

Last edited by twingles; 09-18-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 AM

843 posts, read 2,102,765 times
I read the book, so your stereotype isnt 1oo%

Seems like such a trivial, 1st world problem to come on here and ***** about.... Leave earlier or find a different route if it bothers you so much.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 AM

78 posts, read 127,335 times
Really?!!!! Hell with the children! I need my Mcdonalds 30 seconds sooner. (Sarcasm)

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM

162 posts, read 292,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There seems to be very little public awareness of school bus safety in general around here. A little public service campaign might be in order. In our neighborhood we routinely have buses that back from one street into another to turn around; Cary P.D. tells us this is illegal, so why are routes designed this way? Common sense should tell you that when kids have exited a bus, backing up is probably not the best maneuver anyway. And yet, it persists as a common way of doing business here.
Exactly -- I find it ironic that a state that mandates a 45 mph speed limit for buses on the highway -- which I think is more of a safety hazard than having them travel at say 55 mph -- seems to look the other way on any other road. I have seen countless buses speed up to go thru yellow lights, take a turn so fast they look like they're going to tip over, drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit on local roads etc. Of course, with cutbacks the drivers are probably under increased pressure to stick to routes.

Not bashing ALL bus drivers - know it's not an easy job -- but seriously both the public and many of the drivers seem to need a safety lesson.

Like someone else said -- when in doubt stop -- better to take a couple extra minutes for safety's sake.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,965,096 times
People don't read the handbook any more than they use the search function on City-Data.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...l#post18004896

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...chool-bus.html

Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,077,879 times
I'm very sympathetic to anyone who losing a child. I think we also need to remind kids of the look both ways rule before walking or running into the street. I see a lot of adults who don't bother doing that. But yes, the driver bears responsibility for any accidents.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM

149 posts, read 207,023 times
TECHNICALLY, the OP is right.

But I have heard of NC police officers stopping people in that situation. It happens rarely, but it does happen. So it seems that some drivers are not the only confused ones.

I think the problem is as twingles described .... the law varies in different states. (In NY, you must stop, for instance.) Heck, stopping for a school bus isn't even the law at all in different COUNTRIES. Many countries don't even have school buses; at least not the ones we would recognize. (There are international transplants in NC as well.)

So I can understand the confusion. Unless the law is uniform and well-publicized throughout the country (including the law's exceptions), we're gonna wind up with a bunch of very confused drivers. :/

Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM

653 posts, read 2,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you think posting this here is going to get more people to read these particular pages?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I'd rather someone stop for the bus when it's not necessary. It's better to be safe in my opinion.
I guess we should stop at green lights too, since it's safer to cross an intersection after stopping to make sure it's clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
Plus = isn't a lot of Duraleigh just a four lane road w/no turning lanes?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I read the book, so your stereotype isnt 1oo%

Seems like such a trivial, 1st world problem to come on here and ***** about.... Leave earlier or find a different route if it bothers you so much.
I do leave earlier so I don't have to sit through three left turn signal phases from Edwards Mill onto Duraleigh after 5:00. I live off Duraleigh so there is no other route, but thank you for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangogh121 View Post
Really?!!!! Hell with the children! I need my Mcdonalds 30 seconds sooner. (Sarcasm)
There isn't a McDonald's on Duraleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary