Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM

152 posts, read 367,055 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors house was burglarized on Thursday around 11:30 AM. My dog warned me and I went to check on the house, saw one of the guys jumping the backyard fence running away. The other guy was still in the house. I went to let the other neighbors know and call the police. The other guy then left down the street with his partner. Police arrived and I gave them the descriptions and they picked them up about 5 blocks away. They only had 5 minutes in the house and did not manage to take anything. Police drove me over and I ID'd 2 of the 3 they had detained. Police told me most likely a charge of criminal trespass as they did not have anything in their possession.

Be vigilant and lock your doors! The description of the 2 guys I ID'd:

Hispanic Males (18-22 years old)
5'9" - 5'11"
clean cut, no visible tats or apparent gangbanger garb
one was wearing a dark yankees cap
both had identical black backpacks

Some other neighbors also saw them on their street next to ours, looking. 1 guy stays on the street and 2 guys go into the backyard and then back door of the house. The lookout usually rings the doorbell and if no answer 5 minutes later they other 2 go in. If someone answers the door they say something odd like "can you bring me a glass of water?" or something ridiculous like they are lost.

These guys are opportunists and know the kids are back in school and mom/dad are usually at work.

Last edited by Esteban Dime; 09-08-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,088 times
Nice work and sounds like you did it the correct/safe way! Sadly, they were probably back on the street before you finished typing your account, but at least they have a record/warrant now.

KEEP AN EYE OUT EVERYONE.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 AM

292 posts, read 508,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Some other neighbors also saw them on their street next to ours, looking. 1 guy stays on the street and 2 guys go into the backyard and then back door of the house. The lookout usually rings the doorbell and if no answer 5 minutes later they other 2 go in. If someone answers the door they say something odd like "can you bring me a glass of water?" or something ridiculous like they are lost.
I think they should come up with a better way of casing out a place if they don't want their brain matter to become a wall decoration.

A lot of people like myself work from home a lot of days, never answer the doorbell for strangers, and have a crap load of hollow points just begging to greet anyone who enters without an invite.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM

152 posts, read 367,055 times
What truly amazed me is how they broke in the house next door to me, when I was out front cleaning the patio! That takes some balls!

I was so stunned at their brazenness, I at first couldn't believe what they were doing. Took me a couple of minutes to process.

Hollow points are great if you are a good shot and don't mind putting holes 3 houses down, I'm more of a Mossberg 500 kind of guy, just remember to drag whats left of the body back across the threshold from the yard.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,928,856 times
Quote:
What truly amazed me is how they broke in the house next door to me, when I was out front cleaning the patio! That takes some balls!

I was so stunned at their brazenness, I at first couldn't believe what they were doing. Took me a couple of minutes to process.

Hollow points are great if you are a good shot and don't mind putting holes 3 houses down, I'm more of a Mossberg 500 kind of guy, just remember to drag whats left of the body back across the threshold from the yard.
Mossberg 500 for me too Loaded and ready to go at a fraction of a second's notice. Shortest legal barrel length for ease of handling.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,683,274 times
I have a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel. Looks much more menacing than my long barreled duck shotgun. It'd be my weapon of choice for home defense.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM

871 posts, read 3,020,911 times
Mossberg 500, my most recent and best purchase to date.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM

770 posts, read 2,756,215 times
...and remember not to post anything about your intentions on a public forum just ICTSHTF

Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM

292 posts, read 508,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
...and remember not to post anything about your intentions on a public forum just ICTSHTF
I didn't realize home defense is now the walk of shame.

Last I heard, stand-your-ground applies in this state. If they enter your residence unlawfully, you have the right to turn them into worm food. Every case I've seen in the news over the last 5 years results in homeowner killing intruder free and clear of any charges.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:

After trying out the Remington and Mossberg guns I too went with Mossberg, but the 930 which is the semi-auto version of the 500. I was concerned about pumping it under stress, this way I just pull the trigger. I got the package that came with the 18" barrel and 28" for skeet.

Last edited by wheelsup; 09-10-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary