Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 10,616 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope to be in Raleigh-Cary area by the end of Januarary and my family and mother-in-law who lives with us soon after. Does anyone have any recomendations for a family doctor for my wife, kids, self and mother-in-law. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM

120 posts, read 206,236 times
Default May I ask

why your allowing your mother-in-law to move in? Trust me, it can be very difficult for any family. It might be more suitable for everyone, if you had her stay at a nearby senior center. There is a nice one in Wendell. Let me know where your moving to and I can help.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
why your allowing your mother-in-law to move in? Trust me, it can be very difficult for any family. It might be more suitable for everyone, if you had her stay at a nearby senior center. There is a nice one in Wendell. Let me know where your moving to and I can help.
Multi generation homes work well for many people. It's more a matter of family dynamics, and how fuctional the family is, rather then simply it being hell to have MIL there.

If the poster has made this choice, then let them find the support they need...not suggust they stick granny is the old folks home.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,842 times
I've not found a bad doctor here, so I think you'll have your pick of the litter once you arrive. I'd really wait and see exactly where you'll be living and then you'll have an idea of which hospital you'd want your doctor to have privileges at.

And please don't mind the trolls. No doubt a fan of institutions, they've probably been in one for quite awhile.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,616 times
My wife is an only child, her father passed away several years ago. She has been with us since.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times
I think it's beautiful that you've taken your MIL in and it says a lot about you and your wife. We want our children to be caring, considerate people -- what better example to show them?

I agree with HollyMarshall that where you'll be living could be a big factor. Afterall, you don't want to be 45 mins. or more away from care in the event of an emergency. Another factor could be the kind of insurance she has. We moved here about 3 mos. ago and I had a heck of a time finding a doctor who would take my mom (she's 83+) as a new patient because she has medicare and AARP. I got a lot of recommendations for great doctors, however, I got turned down quite a bit. Finding a doctor who'd take her insurance was a real challenge and it took awhile before I did find one. (The jury's still out on how good he is -- but the office staff is terrific.)
Good luck to you and your family w/the move!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theperle View Post
I think it's beautiful that you've taken your MIL in and it says a lot about you and your wife. We want our children to be caring, considerate people -- what better example to show them?

I agree with HollyMarshall that where you'll be living could be a big factor. Afterall, you don't want to be 45 mins. or more away from care in the event of an emergency. Another factor could be the kind of insurance she has. We moved here about 3 mos. ago and I had a heck of a time finding a doctor who would take my mom (she's 83+) as a new patient because she has medicare and AARP. I got a lot of recommendations for great doctors, however, I got turned down quite a bit. Finding a doctor who'd take her insurance was a real challenge and it took awhile before I did find one. (The jury's still out on how good he is -- but the office staff is terrific.)
Good luck to you and your family w/the move!
Duke takes medicare, and a variety of supplemental insurances. And you can't beat the care there. My mom (96) had eye surgery there after she moved to NC and received excellent treatment and care. Even hugs from the nurses. Those people are great. Wake Med also takes Medicare.

We found a couple of good family practitioners in Wake Forest area who take Medicare also, so no problem there.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,359 times
Where in Illinois are you moving from? We moved from Bloomington in 98 and have family in the Pontiac & Kankakee areas. We've got lots of friends in the Chicago suburbs as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,289 times
When my parents, in their 80's, were in Cary, they went to David Outlaw. He, oddly, enough, specializes in geriatrics and pediatrics. Strange combo, but they loved him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary