Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM

54 posts, read 108,766 times

Advertisements

A volunteer at the Wake Forest branch of the Wake County Public Library let it slip that the library would be closing in MARCH for renovations.

I asked how she knew this and she said because she offered to help prepare the books for the "move." She also commented she was surprised the librarians had not posted signs in the library, were not telling patrons about the closing at checkout since this is suppose to happen NEXT MONTH.

When it was time for me to check out I asked the Librarian, NOT a volunteer point blank, "Is this library closing in March?" After avoiding my question at first and looking at me a bit shocked that I seemed to know something I wasn't suppose to She said, "Yes."

The Librarian was NOT friendly in her exchange with me. She went on the defensive and started repeating the following phrase, "There is NO CLOSE DATE and NO OPEN DATE."

Which I then asked or I guess stated, "So let me let this straight, this library is closing IN MARCH but you won't tell me what day you close or what day you will reopen or IF you are reopening." I asked her HOW were the people of Wake Forest suppose to access books etc. her response USE ANOTHER BRANCH!

This entire conversation if you can call it that took place on Wednesday the 6th at the library. I ask all of you how do you feel about driving to Raleigh or farther for books or other media resources, for however long that might be???

The link below does not mention ANYTHING concerning us losing our library services.

Library Renovations and Projects

Yet I think we certainly are going to. The online Wake Forest Library Event Calendar suddenly isn't so full after the end of March. [b]

Last edited by RedZin; 02-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: No politics here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Discussing the library situation in WF is fine. Any other conversation, such as starting a campaign to keep it open, is inappropriate content for this forum.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,585,990 times
Quote:
A volunteer at the Wake Forest branch of the Wake County Public Library let it slip that the library would be closing in MARCH for renovations.
When something closes for renovations that usually means the closure will only be temporary and will open up as soon as structural repairs or cosmetic updates are completed. I think we'll be fine without a library for a few month. I would think you'd be proud to know the county selected the Wake Forest library to renovate.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,120,753 times
I'm not sure I'm following along with the outrage. They need to close in order to rennovate. They were/are not ready to share with the public yet for whatever reason. Wouldn't regular customers be excited about rennovations and plan to use another branch during that time? I know they will be doing that with the downtown Cary library soon and I expect it to be closed for a while and I expect to use another branch during that time.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM

What my concern is the secrecy about all of it. She didn't come out and say they were renovating the library, just that it was closing. The volunteer said that not the librarian. My outrage is that many people depend on that branch daily for free internet, newspapers & magazines, story time, of course books and other media. It is always very busy esp. with the little playground beside it and the post office right next door.

All I was trying to point out was it would be decent if we were given a heads up as to what exactly the plan is. Driving all the way into Raleigh from Wake Forest may or may not be easy for everyone if a renovation takes months and months.

Knowledge is power...

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM

38 posts, read 79,073 times
Its February, with no news?. I think the OP is inferring (correctly imo) that the branch is closing permanently. Not that wild an assumption considering the response she got. They considered doing it with the Southeast Regional Library in Garner.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Iron View Post
Its February, with no news?. I think the OP is inferring (correctly imo) that the branch is closing permanently. Not that wild an assumption considering the response she got. They considered doing it with the Southeast Regional Library in Garner.
Thanks for your 2 cents! That is what I am hoping I am wrong about...

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM

I seriously don't think they are going to close it for good. It would have been in the news and part of the Wake County budget discussions. Other times libraries have come up for consideration of closing, it's been in the news for months ahead of time.
Now..I am NOT saying this is the case, but there was another library around here recently that was rumored to be having a problem with bed bugs and that they were going to have to shut down temporarily to get it under control. "Supposedly" no one in the library would admit that this was the problem to prevent bed bug hysteria, but several volunteers confirmed it.
Again, this is all rumor but the rumor has been circulating a while on another local forum I frequent. It's possible this is a similar situation and they are calling it "rennovations".

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I seriously don't think they are going to close it for good. It would have been in the news and part of the Wake County budget discussions. Other times libraries have come up for consideration of closing, it's been in the news for months ahead of time.
Now..I am NOT saying this is the case, but there was another library around here recently that was rumored to be having a problem with bed bugs and that they were going to have to shut down temporarily to get it under control. "Supposedly" no one in the library would admit that this was the problem to prevent bed bug hysteria, but several volunteers confirmed it.
Again, this is all rumor but the rumor has been circulating a while on another local forum I frequent. It's possible this is a similar situation and they are calling it "rennovations".

AH! Bed bugs!!! See that is WHY I just want a straight answer from someone!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Well, if it something like that (not saying it is!), I doubt you will get one. There is a Friends of the Wake County Library you might like to contact. Also maybe call Wake County and press them for answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary