Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 22,220 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice from someone with experience.

Facts : One Acre lot to be purchased in Granville County, Wake Forest.

Purchase Price is $1,500.00, payment in cash, not financed. There will not be a home on the lot. It does not perk, so a well cannot be drilled. It's adjacent to our own home and we're hoping this will increase the value by adding an acre to it. No structures will be built on the property.

Can someone give me an idea of the closing costs associated with this. I don't think we'll nee a survey done, the markers are still in the ground.

Do we need an attorney for this?

I feel a little silly, but I thought since it was a small amount and a cash purchase we could just do it with a notary. But a quick google search has proven otherwise, possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM

804 posts, read 2,005,476 times
to protect yourself & your investment (& face it, this would be an investment), it would be worthwhile to have a survey done as well title search to confirm that title is clean. most attorneys will do closings for anywhere from $400-600. you could technically get by with doing a non-title deed & recording it yourself but beware as title issues could be a problem down the road were you to sell the property. i can't tell you the number of real estate closings & title issues that i've seen arise when people try to do it themselves & pretty much have no clue what they are doing.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
to protect yourself & your investment (& face it, this would be an investment), it would be worthwhile to have a survey done as well title search to confirm that title is clean. most attorneys will do closings for anywhere from $400-600. you could technically get by with doing a non-title deed & recording it yourself but beware as title issues could be a problem down the road were you to sell the property. i can't tell you the number of real estate closings & title issues that i've seen arise when people try to do it themselves & pretty much have no clue what they are doing.
Ditto on the survey and title considerations.
Some of the "simple stuff" gets difficult when corners are cut.

You can probably get a little lower fee from a closing attorney since you are writing a check without financing.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You can probably get a little lower fee from a closing attorney since you are writing a check without financing.
good call. you are probably right. for a deed-only closing (which is what this is) they may do it for $350 or so. $350 for attorney + $350 for survey will go far in protecting your investment.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 AM

98 posts, read 527,353 times
I recommend getting the survey done and...yes and.....having a single legal description written up combining both parcels of land into one lot (This will help down the road with title research on the property). I also recommend getting a lawyer to do the title work and make sure the new deeds are written up well and recorded properly.

I would agree that the cost of the lawyer and survey should fall in the $800-$1200 dollar range.....put even paying a total of $2500 for an acre lot is a good investment when I would bet that your total house lot will increase in value from $20-30K.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,148 times
You can have a title company do all the work and close there. You do not need a lawyer.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You can have a title company do all the work and close there. You do not need a lawyer.
Not exactly.
We typically use attorneys for settlement and closing, and that includes title companies who have to use an attorney too, so are owned by attorneys.

Why pay more for a title company anyway? I prefer to have an attorney at the settlement table, rather than just a notary with an attorney on speed dial.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not exactly.
We typically use attorneys for settlement and closing, and that includes title companies who have to use an attorney too, so are owned by attorneys.

Why pay more for a title company anyway? I prefer to have an attorney at the settlement table, rather than just a notary with an attorney on speed dial.
yes, this.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,148 times
Everything is negotiable. Have the seller provide the survey, the title search and title insurance and you can negotiate the cost. Once you have those three, all you need is a general warranty deed which you do not need a lawyer to fill out and those forms are available for free. If the deed is under 15 pages it only costs $50 to register in Wake County, probably less in other counties.
http://goo.gl/C8zgi

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

"Before a policy of title insurance can be issued in North Carolina, a title examination must be conducted under the supervision of an independent attorney licensed to practice law in North Carolina."
Explanation of North Carolina Title Insurance

The North Carolina State Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary