Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,051 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I came across this wonderful and informative forum 2 days ago. I'm so glad I browsed into it!

I am interested in buying a SFH/condo in the RTP area, and I would like to get peoples' inputs about which places have most appreciation. A little background about me - I'm 29, work in the IT industry in DC. I'm married and my wife goes to grad school here. Where we live, its almost unimaginable to buy a decent condo for $300K, and SFHs are over $600K, so I am thinking about buying a home/condo in Raleigh now, and move to the area in 2-3 years after my wife graduates. Until then I would like to rent it out to help me pay mortgage.

I'd like to know how the rental market is in the area. I'd like the SFH/condo to be close to the RTP, so that when we move there, I don't have to look too far for a job.

Anyone here can suggest good homes in neighborhoods that are good live in as well as rent?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,665 times
I could be totally wrong but I have the impression that it's hard to make any real money with rentals here due to A) more affordable housing and therefore less renters than in an unaffordable area where most people rent like DC, NY, etc. Also that rent has to compete with affordable mortgages and B) there are many luxury, well priced apartments here that you'd be competing with. With a large enough down payment to be priced competitively, be able to cover the mortgage and have a little extra leftover you could do ok. I'm not saying people who have rentals can't make money but I would caution those coming from big cities where rentals are a big money maker that it's not the same here. If you are going to move into the house in a few years and are looking at it as a future home and investment for appreciation in that sense, that's different and it's not a bad idea. I just thought you should know that rentals probably won't make as much each month as one would think here vs where you're coming from. Just thought I'd try to help a little! Good luck!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,051 times
Thanks!

I'm totally out of options here; I know I want to move the area in a few years, but I don't want to wait until then to buy a house when homes may become un-affordable. I can't really buy anything here, as I already said. So basically my situation is like a double-edged sword :-)

How's downtown area? Are there condominiums there that people live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
I could be totally wrong but I have the impression that it's hard to make any real money with rentals here due to A) more affordable housing and therefore less renters than in an unaffordable area where most people rent like DC, NY, etc. Also that rent has to compete with affordable mortgages and B) there are many luxury, well priced apartments here that you'd be competing with. With a large enough down payment to be priced competitively, be able to cover the mortgage and have a little extra leftover you could do ok. I'm not saying people who have rentals can't make money but I would caution those coming from big cities where rentals are a big money maker that it's not the same here. If you are going to move into the house in a few years and are looking at it as a future home and investment for appreciation in that sense, that's different and it's not a bad idea. I just thought you should know that rentals probably won't make as much each month as one would think here vs where you're coming from. Just thought I'd try to help a little! Good luck!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromDCwithLOVE View Post
Where we live, its almost unimaginable to buy a decent condo for $300K
I'm familiar with the Balto/DC/VA market, so I can TOTALLY relate. I moved to NC from the west coast 18 mos ago, where you can't get a decent condo unless you come off of $400k!

When I planned on moving to NC, I had CA prices on the brain. When I got here, the housing prices BLEW MY MIND.

I think you'll have the same response.

Look at what $450k would buy you in DC... You'll be able to get that for around $200k in many very nice areas in the triangle. Obviously, $300 simply increases your options, but there will be MANY.

If you want to rent, simply because you want to rent - that's cool. But if you can afford anything $200k-$300k, you have MANY, MANY options to buy. From SFH's in lovely neighborhoods to luxury condos.

Describe the type of neighborhood you're looking for, and I'm sure you'll get many good suggestions.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
I don't deal with rentals so I can't help but I do have an investor that buys houses to rent.

I'll suggest to you what he told me that he does...

He will contact a Property Management Company and ask which areas tend to be more rentable than others and what the property will rent for. He says thats a good indication of whether or not he should buy in a particular neighborhood or area.

Vicki

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromDCwithLOVE View Post
Hi,

I came across this wonderful and informative forum 2 days ago. I'm so glad I browsed into it!

I am interested in buying a SFH/condo in the RTP area, and I would like to get peoples' inputs about which places have most appreciation. A little background about me - I'm 29, work in the IT industry in DC. I'm married and my wife goes to grad school here. Where we live, its almost unimaginable to buy a decent condo for $300K, and SFHs are over $600K, so I am thinking about buying a home/condo in Raleigh now, and move to the area in 2-3 years after my wife graduates. Until then I would like to rent it out to help me pay mortgage.

I'd like to know how the rental market is in the area. I'd like the SFH/condo to be close to the RTP, so that when we move there, I don't have to look too far for a job.

Anyone here can suggest good homes in neighborhoods that are good live in as well as rent?

Thanks!
If you go significantly cash-flow negative on a rental for a few years, and then have to upgrade behind your tenants to bring it to your standards...
Well, it might be a better economic scenario to just wait and buy when you are coming to town.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you go significantly cash-flow negative on a rental for a few years, and then have to upgrade behind your tenants to bring it to your standards...
Well, it might be a better economic scenario to just wait and buy when you are coming to town.
Good grief - I'm so glad I read your post. I missed the fact that the OP wanted to buy a rental property. My bad.

The condo development SouthPoint Landing might be easy to rent. There's also one going up further down Hope Valley road that also sounds fab!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Good grief - I'm so glad I read your post. I missed the fact that the OP wanted to buy a rental property. My bad.

The condo development SouthPoint Landing might be easy to rent. There's also one going up further down Hope Valley road that also sounds fab!
Gurl,
It is just hard to cover costs with a rental, especially if one has to pay a manager.
The headache of landlording from a distance make me think the best thing to do is to plan the move and come to town and buy.

Long distance residential rental is a losing game in general.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The headache of landlording from a distance make me think the best thing to do is to plan the move and come to town and buy.
I don't know what's 'best', but I know I'd wouldn't do long distance landlording. My risk tolerance isn't that high...

Old 10-13-2007, 04:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
I don't know what's 'best', but I know I'd wouldn't do long distance landlording. My risk tolerance isn't that high...
OP, I agree with these posters-I'd wait. I know it's hard, because I'm in the same situation. We had hoped to be down in NC this past summer, and in fact were visiting last Oct and nearly bought a house, with the idea to rent it. Thankfully, we did not, as we are not yet in NC (it's taken longer than we thought) and had we bought and rented it, we'd be exposing ourselves to financial issues if the renters didn't work out or trashed it.

I mean, I want a house so badly, but I'm resigned to the idea of waiting till we get there. I guess it depends on your financial situation-can you handle paying rent where you are now, plus possibly on a Raleigh property? For us, we can't, so we wait. If you can, it might be worth the risk. But, it's a risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary