Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM

54 posts, read 358,116 times

Advertisements

I need help! I just moved to the area a few weeks ago and have temporary housing while I look for a permanent place to move to. I'd really like to be centrally located and the Five Points neighborhood is very appealing to me as it is similar to the neighborhood I moved from in Denver. After looking at several rental properties, it seems as though the prices are kind of high for what you get and it would even make sense for me to buy right away vs. sell and eventually turn it into an investment property. There are some townhomes for sale in the neighborhood that are within my price range, but they are priced at about $197/sq ft which seems pretty steep for the area and housing market right now. What do those of you who live here think about the housing values in this neighborhood and potential rental market? Would you recommend buying vs renting????

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
ITB is VERY pricey.

That said, it's a great area. Why not rent and see if you like it? I would.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

54 posts, read 358,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
ITB is VERY pricey.

That said, it's a great area. Why not rent and see if you like it? I would.
That's what I was planning to do, but with the rental prices in the area as high as they are, I figured I might as well pay as much per month on a morgage and be gaining equity in a place rather than having my money go towards nothing...

Plus, I'm one of the lucky ones right now that probably can qualify for something

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,549,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoore55 View Post
That's what I was planning to do, but with the rental prices in the area as high as they are, I figured I might as well pay as much per month on a morgage and be gaining equity in a place rather than having my money go towards nothing...

Plus, I'm one of the lucky ones right now that probably can qualify for something
If you only keep the place for a short amount of time, this is a **** poor plan. The majority of the money from your mortgage payments (for the first few years) is ALL interest. Hardly any principle gets paid (ie, no equity for you). Not to mention the closing costs and taxes.

Better off renting if you're not sure. If you want more on this, go post a new thread in the personal finance forums.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,282,481 times
The Five Points area is quite pricey being Inside The Beltline (ITB).

As for buying instead of renting,

there are some condos called The Cottages At Whitaker that are in the $120s. They are located on McNeill Street, not too far from Five Points.

The Cameron Village condos are in the $130s. Plus HOA fees.

Could be less expensive to buy instead of rent but you should plan on being in the area for a few years.

Vicki

Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,318,349 times
I'd rent for a year while you get the lay of the land and develop a full understanding of the neighborhood market. You can learn a lot in a year. Then be ready to pounce on something you know if a good deal in an area you are confident you like. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM

151 posts, read 463,234 times
Default price per sq ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoore55 View Post
they are priced at about $197/sq ft which seems pretty steep for the area and housing market right now.
]

I've been tracking sale prices in that area for a while. For the 40 properties that I have tracked, here are some facts:
  • The average sale price is $188/sq ft.
  • 14 properties are over $200/sq ft and
  • 18 properties are under $180 sq ft.
  • The lowest is $142/sq ft
  • The highest is $242/sq ft.
These are all single family homes, condos should be lower.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,009,612 times
Location, location, location. Five Points is a great, walkable neighborhood, near downtown, and with great neighbors. People really want to live there. I loved it when I lived there and that was in the 90's.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,646,811 times
It is great living here... neighbors are neighbors wherever you go though We have barking dogs on the left and feral cats on the right Parking and driving the narrow streets can be interesting as well. On the other hand, some streets have block parties, and on some streets everyone parks on the same side of the road (i.e. lower Bickett - how thoughtful!) And then Five Points on the other side of Glenwood is a whole 'nother scene. (Nicer and pricier!) I agree with renting first, if possible.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,297,819 times
I agree with the suggestions to rent first. You might like it, you might not (I do, but that's just me). I also agree with the above comment about narrow streets and parking. Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary