Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM

9 posts, read 44,730 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Cary, NC and we're thinking about buying a townhouse that we can live in for six months or so to get a better feel for the area before buying a single family home. We'll then turn around and rent out the townhouse for some rental income. How is the rental market in Cary, NC for a 3 bedroom townhouses? What is the going rate for a rental townhouse that is three bedrooms? Thanks in advance for any advice or direction. We're open to hearing any and all feedback (good or bad) as we sort through our decisions ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
Unless you're paying cash, the first person you need to ask is your lender. After that, you should engage your Realtor. There's such a broad variety of price and rent it would be inefficient to try and divine the answer from anecdotal evidence here.

But in general, rents are strong and everything availabe for rent is rented readily at this time, and has been that way for 2 years.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,424,576 times
$1,200-$1,400 depending on size and location.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,429,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
$1,200-$1,400 depending on size and location.
Townhomes in my neighborhood rent for $1800 - $2400/month.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb6992 View Post
We're relocating to Cary, NC and we're thinking about buying a townhouse that we can live in for six months or so to get a better feel for the area before buying a single family home. We'll then turn around and rent out the townhouse for some rental income. How is the rental market in Cary, NC for a 3 bedroom townhouses? What is the going rate for a rental townhouse that is three bedrooms? Thanks in advance for any advice or direction. We're open to hearing any and all feedback (good or bad) as we sort through our decisions ahead.
I think you have a good plan.
You can get cheap three bedroom townhomes in the $125,000 range, that will rent for $1000--$1200.
Look out for the HOA dues, because older complexes can be up to $200. It is nice to have exterior maintenance covered, but that level of dues will cut into your ROI quickly.

It may be a better investment to get into small detached home for a future rental. You can expect more appreciation and it will be easy to rent.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,424,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Townhomes in my neighborhood rent for $1800 - $2400/month.
Glad I don't live there. I see townhomes all over Raleigh rent for $1,300 a month for a 3 bedroom with 1,600-1,800 sq ft. Maybe a little higher in some areas.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Glad I don't live there. I see townhomes all over Raleigh rent for $1,300 a month for a 3 bedroom with 1,600-1,800 sq ft. Maybe a little higher in some areas.
I'm thinking the townhomes being referred to here are custom and huge.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
Be sure you understand what's involved in landlording.

You can easily get a loser who will trash the home, cause HOA issues, and need to be evicted at your expense for non-payment.

Leave it to the pros who have maintenance techs and contractors readily available.

My father-in-law was a super. You'd cry at what we found many times after an eviction.

Better rent short term and then find a permanent home.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM

835 posts, read 3,979,442 times
If your intention as you stated is to convert this property to an investment home in 6 months then you have to buy as such and not a primary residence.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Be sure you understand what's involved in landlording.

You can easily get a loser who will trash the home, cause HOA issues, and need to be evicted at your expense for non-payment.

Leave it to the pros who have maintenance techs and contractors readily available.

My father-in-law was a super. You'd cry at what we found many times after an eviction.

Better rent short term and then find a permanent home.
There's a lot more to renting than meets the eye.

Most people assume folks think and behave like they do. Not always the case.

We rented a townhouse through a management agency to a German engineer. The guy had great credit history, good references. Sounds like a great set-up, eh?

Within a few months, we had to replace the garbage disposal, microwave, and then the stove. Then found out he had moved in his daughter, her live-in boyfriend, and their four kids and the group proceeded to trash the place and pi$$ off the neighbors by taking up their parking spaces, playing loud, obnoxious music and letting their kids run wild and unruly. HOA fines ensued.

We had a heck of a time getting them of out. Then it took us a month of cleaning and painting (they'd drilled holes through the walls to string electronic wires and then covered them up with toothpaste!). I don't think they ever swept of vacuumed. Had to refinish hardwood floors and have the living room carpet shampooed three times to get all the stains.

When it was all said and done, the management company refunded their deposit. Said what we repaired was "normal wear and tear" for a rental. Turns out they rented to a lot of employees from this firm and didn't want to get on their bad side.

We sold it.

Over the years, I've heard no end of such stories. Renters who won't pay rent and you practically have to get the sheriff to get them out.

My SIL rented to a couple who not only moved out with the wood stove and the refrigerator, but had cut down and sold all the trees on the property. Their beautiful home in the woods was surrounded by stumps.

It's not a get rich scheme, by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary